C4 Forums | Control4

Greetings all

Has anyone had an issue with 2.10? I updated a clients system remotely, using the Express iOS app, enroute to the client. And now their whole system is not working. It's as if the network is flooded with commands. C4 send sends repeat commands to devices, it seems like it' gets stuck in loops. None of the rooms stick to their sources, it keeps jumping to the C4 OSD. The reason I went there is because Tune-in was jumpy, audio is consistently jolty. But I have created a much bigger problem.

I've tried factory resetting the EA3 (director) and reloading.

I cleared the project and created a mini project, and that was stable. But when I reload my project, same issue.

My plan is to clear the project, and rebuild the whole system room by room.

Or try to roll back to 2.9.1 and load the project again (it would be the project from post-firmware update, can't find previous versions)

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or similar experiences?

Thanks

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, lesson learned about Remote upgrades. 

What were they on? I’d NEVER do a full jump (ie 2.9>2.10) 2.9>2.9.1 MAYYYBE.  Remote. Who knows maybe they unplugged the router on the way. 

Remove all IP drivers from project and reload. And learn from this experience. 

It's a nightmare, I have 2 systems that have issues all over the place.

• Just Add Power matrix driver crashes when opening in Composer
  • Have a house where a light with a linked button when turned on our off causes the other keypad to flash it's LEDs and not control the load. Does it over and over
  • Had another house where 5 Keypad dimmers blew, tripped breakers and started smoking in the wall, Was sent replacements and another 2 blew.  This is after the lights working for years.
  • Customer says their Tidal constantly stops playing their playlist after 1 song.
  • When doing programming I couldn't get the Tidal driver to show playlists  even though the Tidal could play, had to reboot director a few times. Not sure if this will happen again.
  • Bindings on Panelized lighting disappeared
  • Customer says since updating their landscape lighting that went on at sunset, now randomly goes on and off all night.
  • Had 2 touchscreens freeze and need to be replaced.
  • Many drivers have had issues due to underlying changes.
  • Wired keypads went crazy at a job and after multiple reboots of the Bus Ethernet Gateway and a 5 minute power down they came back online.
  • A few other oddities that may or may not have been 2.10

No more updates until something becomes stable.

13 hours ago, D-One said:

Greetings all

Has anyone had an issue with 2.10? I updated a clients system remotely, using the Express iOS app, enroute to the client. And now their whole system is not working. It's as if the network is flooded with commands. C4 send sends repeat commands to devices, it seems like it' gets stuck in loops. None of the rooms stick to their sources, it keeps jumping to the C4 OSD. The reason I went there is because Tune-in was jumpy, audio is consistently jolty. But I have created a much bigger problem.

I've tried factory resetting the EA3 (director) and reloading.

I cleared the project and created a mini project, and that was stable. But when I reload my project, same issue.

My plan is to clear the project, and rebuild the whole system room by room.

Or try to roll back to 2.9.1 and load the project again (it would be the project from post-firmware update, can't find previous versions)

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or similar experiences?

Thanks

If you use a windows pc, check if you have a shadow copy of the project.  That's a problem with the Express app, I've done backups with it only to find there is no backup.

14 hours ago, knowitall said:

Well, lesson learned about Remote upgrades. 

What were they on? I’d NEVER do a full jump (ie 2.9>2.10) 2.9>2.9.1 MAYYYBE.  Remote. Who knows maybe they unplugged the router on the way. 

Remove all IP drivers from project and reload. And learn from this experience. 

He said he was on his way to the customer when he started the update. He also said it was on 2.9.1. 

What lesson should he have learned from this exactly? 

1 hour ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

He said he was on his way to the customer when he started the update. He also said it was on 2.9.1. 

What lesson should he have learned from this exactly? 

Remote upgrades are a bad idea? 

Did the power go out? Did the ISP drop out? Did the kid turn off the power strip? 

No one knows. 

2 hours ago, knowitall said:

Remote upgrades are a bad idea? 

Did the power go out? Did the ISP drop out? Did the kid turn off the power strip? 

No one knows. 

What is being on-site going to do different other then more hours to possibly bill to the client, if things go south they are likely just going south with you on-site.  I updated a house while on-site that had over 80 lighting loads, the devices were still firmware updating when I left at 8pm, I sure am not booking off 24 hours to sleep in the customers house with them while they system updates.  I got a call the next day lights weren't turning of and dimmers were flashing.

The reason nobody knows is because this stuff isn't tested nearly enough before release, I went to update 2 customers because they both have been waiting ages to have Spotify.  If it wasn't for that I would have held out on them and let other dealers use their customers as lab rats.  Essentially it's cross your fingers and start praying. Small systems sure your risk is minimal, but still these issues are a waste of time, money, and frustrated clients. 

@THEORY you do things your way I’ll do mine. Pretty sure I explained why being on site is different than Remote in the quote you copied so. 

Your decision to start upgrade that late in the day. Project that big you should’ve have a service contact and panned upgrades anyway. You’re losing out on $$$. 

While you’re sitting on site waiting on the update that maybe takes like 30 min to discuss new features of the system, add on they may want lifestyle changes etc. talking to people surprisingly will make you money. 

Or if the the client isn’t home, check emails update proposals etc. 

i mean you you really just sit there watching the upgrade bar ? 

Sheesh 

19 minutes ago, knowitall said:

@THEORY you do things your way I’ll do mine. Pretty sure I explained why being on site is different than Remote in the quote you copied so. 

Your decision to start upgrade that late in the day. Project that big you should’ve have a service contact and panned upgrades anyway. You’re losing out on $$$. 

While you’re sitting on site waiting on the update that maybe takes like 30 min to discuss new features of the system, add on they may want lifestyle changes etc. talking to people surprisingly will make you money. 

Or if the the client isn’t home, check emails update proposals etc. 

i mean you you really just sit there watching the upgrade bar ? 

Sheesh 

I did start the upgrade in the morning, I'm telling you all the firmware still wasn't updated when I left at 8pm. Which then had dimmers blow overnight, we have no control over the zigbee updates.  Your generalization is great but not practical.  Service contract or not is irrelevant my business should not be paying for lack of quality in the software.

28 minutes ago, knowitall said:

ok  A zigbee update blows up dimmers? That’s a first. 

It's happened a few times that Control4 firmware has caused lighting devices to fail in the field, and it's on the dealer forums. Customers don't like smoke coming out of the wall or lights exploding in the ceiling.

16 hours ago, neil12011 said:

Lost Sonos drivers on a huge project.  2.10 is giving me the finger thus far.

Which version of Sonos drivers were you using? Do you have a backup of the project that you could send me and I'll look at it?

Thanks

Matt

Archived