C4 Forums | Control4

Got an estimate for my system upgrade, where can I trim the fat?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, blackfiveo1 said:

Networking price(hardware) looks high to me, and you could probably save a few thousand on the 4k video matrix as well

Here is an 8x8

https://www.amazon.com/SWITCHER-SELECTOR-CRESTRON-CONTROL4-AUTOMATION/dp/B07D7XCPDF/ref=lp_15343946011_1_1?srs=15343946011&ie=UTF8&qid=1527622102&sr=8-1&th=1

EDIT: DAMN this includes 8 baluns!!!! so its way less than half the price

some guy bought one of these a few months back and said it was working just fine in his environment. I dont even think the Control4 one is HDR 4K 60hz YUV444 but dont quote me on that

This is what I believe most people run from a WAP: supports 2.4/5ghz

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527622287&sr=1-1&keywords=ubiquiti+wap

The product is making major claims - of being able to support 18Gbps, is YUV444 compliant and has C4 drivers - not to mention an excellent price for the package as well.

Any folks here who have tried this product?

Thanks

So I posted about some audio problems I'm having in a separate thread:  

If the problems are related to my current matrix, the new matrix that is included in this quote should cover those problems, right?

12 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

If the problems are related to my current matrix, the new matrix that is included in this quote should cover those problems, right?

I believe your quote is for a video matrix. That is different than an audio matrix. Not sure what is wrong with your audio matrix, but it's maybe not likely that changing your video matrix will resolve your audio matrix issue. At any rate you probably want your selected dealer to solve your audio problem while they are upgrading you.

Are you price sensitive? I think you have gotten some good advice here. I think your choices are:

1. Go with the quote
  2. Find another dealer
  3. Adjust your equipment list to save money and hope for a pleasant experience
  4. Change gears completely and use Video Storm and ubiquiti etc.

Out of curiosity, what sort of work are you in?

1 minute ago, pinkoos said:

So my current AVocation Systems Matrix Router is a combo video/audio matrix?  I think I'm confused as to what I currently have.

If it's audio only, then how is my video currently getting distributed?

No idea what you have. Don't think we are commenting on what you own. The item on your list isn't an audio matrix and wont be replacing the audio matrix function of your current system. Perhaps the dealer planned to leverage your existing matrix for audio only after adding the HDMI matrix.

But in general, if I don't have a video matrix right now, how would video be distributed normally?  I know you all don't know what I have, but I can list from top to bottom the main components  in my rack (leaving out cable modems, routers, DVD players, streaming devices, Tivos, etc.):

HC800

HC300

AVocation Systems Matrix Router

Denon AVR

Control4 Amplifier

4 minutes ago, Pounce said:

As you mentioned yourself, you have a AVocation Systems Matrix Router. That's a combo unit when I google it. Both Audio and Video.

Pull the model number.

Okay, thanks, will have to get the model number tonight.  Thanks again for the help.

The Avocation switchers were component video and coaxial/stereo audio units.  That is what you are currently using.

The Leaf switcher in your quote does have stereo audio downmixing, but that would be for your video sources only.

If you have several audio only units, which I suspect, like controller outputs, then the Leaf switcher won't be of much help there.

What kind of C4 amp do you have??  Is it just a dumb amp or is it the matrix switching version?  (Model numbers will certainly help here) 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I’m upgrading TVs that I originally purchased in 2008/9, I find that there is no need for a video matrix. I have Plex installed and all my new TVs have the Plex app (pay for pro and it is totally worth it). 

I can stream all my personal content and movies. Each TV has apps for everything else. I don’t have cable TV anymore either so the need of a matrix is further reduced. 

The older kitchen TV (a Sony Google TV - yeah I bought one of them, laugh at me) now has a Fire TV stick and it has gone from a huge paperweight to a TV. 

You can prolly replace all your TVs in the cost of that matrix. Also, I have Ubiquiti APs and they are the bomb.

AJ

48 minutes ago, achoudhary said:

Now that I’m upgrading TVs that I originally purchased in 2008/9, I find that there is no need for a video matrix. I have Plex installed and all my new TVs have the Plex app (pay for pro and it is totally worth it). 

I can stream all my personal content and movies. Each TV has apps for everything else. I don’t have cable TV anymore either so the need of a matrix is further reduced. 

The older kitchen TV (a Sony Google TV - yeah I bought one of them, laugh at me) now has a Fire TV stick and it has gone from a huge paperweight to a TV. 

You can prolly replace all your TVs in the cost of that matrix. Also, I have Ubiquiti APs and they are the bomb.

AJ

Right until the Plex app stops working because the TVm manufacturer stop supporting it - just get a local player with plex and the other apps if that is what you want.

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Right until the Plex app stops working because the TVm manufacturer stop supporting it - just get a local player with plex and the other apps if that is what you want.

I agree but really cannot do much about it. It's like Blu-Ray vs HD DVD.

Even Control4 is retiring stuff much to my displeasure. Looks like my pre-T3 touchscreens will be phased out soon. 

30 minutes ago, achoudhary said:

I agree but really cannot do much about it. It's like Blu-Ray vs HD DVD.

Even Control4 is retiring stuff much to my displeasure. Looks like my pre-T3 touchscreens will be phased out soon. 

Except that you can CHOOSE to stay where you are - once the apps on the TV stops working (and they pretty much always do), it's done.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Except that you can CHOOSE to stay where you are - once the apps on the TV stops working (and they pretty much always do), it's done.

And at that point, he can get streaming boxes if it makes sense. There's little reason to spend extra money now if it's not needed. He may not need them in the future, but he definitely doesn't need them now.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:25 PM, thegreatheed said:

And at that point, he can get streaming boxes if it makes sense. There's little reason to spend extra money now if it's not needed. He may not need them in the future, but he definitely doesn't need them now.

True, but getting some (cheap) boxes installed also ensures universal functionality across all devices, not to mention that for 99% of TVs, the control of apps etc through Control4 is not that great, whereas products like Roku, Android TV, FireTV and even AppleTV have proven drivers with a lot of functionality

I'm curious.... why not just ask the dealer to give you cheaper gear? I don't get it..... you have champagne taste.... champagne money but only want to pay beer prices.... not judging just a little confused. I got a friend of mine building a 16,000 sqf house..... wants everything I have ( a 50k system) but don't want to pay.... I dont get it... maybe someone can explain this to me. 

just my thought.... I have no buyers remorse... be happy spend the little extra and get what makes you happy. or buy cheap and buy twice because of all the issues you start to have. 

Not sure where you got an idea of what kind of taste I have or how much money I have, but when you have to come out and say that you're not judging, well, you are.

However, I do appreciate all those who responded with *helpful* information.

Archived