C4 Forums | Control4

Got an estimate for my system upgrade, where can I trim the fat?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Ah, okay, then it makes sense that there was no discount listed...there's no controller in the estimate.  I guess I'm not miffed after all. 🙂

The 10% discount applies to Control4 equipment - a controller upgrade is not required.

1 minute ago, AK1 said:

The 10% discount applies to Control4 equipment - a controller upgrade is not required.

This is not correct, your tag says you are a dealer I can message you the cutsheet from the dealer site if you would like.

12 minutes ago, HRT said:

This is not correct, your tag says you are a dealer I can message you the cutsheet from the dealer site if you would like.

I am a dealer and I am correct. I have processed this upgrade discount many times without a controller upgrade.

19 minutes ago, AK1 said:

I am a dealer and I am correct. I have processed this upgrade discount many times without a controller upgrade.

You are actually correct.  My bad.  I just double checked with my SSA.  It's worded in the dealer portal in such a way that makes it sound like a new controller has to be purchased too.  They are two separate upgrade programs.  

6 minutes ago, dcovach said:

You are actually correct.  My bad.  I just double checked with my SSA.  It's worded in the dealer portal in such a way that makes it sound like a new controller has to be purchased too.  They are two separate upgrade programs.  

They had the 10% upgrade program till the ea-3,5 came out. Then they added the current upgrade promotion. I also had used the 10% off one in the past, but did not think it still applies as we both read the current plan to make it sound like you have to buy a controller. So sorry I guess you are right, the website and cutsheet are quite misleading. 

1 hour ago, HRT said:

The 10% is on all additional gear if you upgrade your controller which you get at a 15% discount.

No, the 10% is on any Control4 gear (not partner) and a controller is not required to be upgraded or ordered.

15 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

AK1 is a Top Guy - what ever he says is gossip - Love the Man 

Every time I publicly debunk a "miff", I get on my horse (bareback) and ride away slowly with my shirt off, nose up high, not looking at anybody, stopping for no pictures.

30 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Every time I publicly debunk a "miff", I get on my horse (bareback) and ride away slowly with my shirt off, nose up high, not looking at anybody, stopping for no pictures.

:-)

8 minutes ago, janthony6 said:

They are totally hosing you.

Araknis? No way. Get Ubiquiti.  

The HDMI cable for 150?!?!?!!  Get a Blue Jeans Cable.  

Install your own TVs.  

Bother to read before commenting. That's 10 cables for that price, and for all the love of UBQT around here, it is still not recommended and on the do not use list for a reason.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Bother to read before commenting. That's 10 cables for that price, and for all the love of UBQT around here, it is still not recommended and on the do not use list for a reason.

what about unifi waps connected to a supported switch?  Does that change the story at all?

2 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

AK1 is a Top Guy - what ever he says is gossip - Love the Man 

Oh Gary, I have feelings for you too -))))

1 hour ago, janthony6 said:

They are totally hosing you.

Araknis? No way. Get Ubiquiti.  

The HDMI cable for 150?!?!?!!  Get a Blue Jeans Cable.  

Install your own TVs.  

I had to go back and read the quotation again to make sure I had not missed a zero. It is for 10 x HDMI cables @ $15 = $150. Not $150 for one cable. I consider that to be a very reasonable price for a certified cable.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

and for all the love of UBQT around here, it is still not recommended and on the do not use list for a reason.

I haven't yet seen if the issue is serious or an edge case. I think it's irresponsible (um not nice) of Control4 to put a vendor on blacklist without being very specific about which products and what reason etc. Seems to me the issue would only potentially be present when VLAN's are utilized. Do you know different?

11 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I haven't yet seen if the issue is serious or an edge case. I think it's irresponsible (um not nice) of Control4 to put a vendor on blacklist without being very specific about which products and what reason etc. Seems to me the issue would only potentially be present when VLAN's are utilized. Do you know different?

There is a Kb article referencing products on the do not use list WITH explanations. This is the reason why any ubiquiti product is not supported.

Does not support PIM multicasting.  Only supports IGMP which causes issues such as Control4 devices that fall offline due to UDP keep-alive being blocked through multicast routing. These issues manifest most commonly in large systems with dual transport devices ie. Matrix switches Tuners, Amplifiers, and Centralized Lighting.

59 minutes ago, Pounce said:

That's something that non-dealers could access?

Does the article indicate that only "routers" are potentially impacted?

Does it indicate why small systems are perhaps not impacted?

KB articles are only accessible to dealers but they aren't meant to be top secret either.  Unsupported equipment on the list also includes unmanaged switches, managed switches, AP's, and repeaters.  Even small systems can be impacted by any of the mentioned product on the list.  Specific issues are mentioned, if known.

4 hours ago, dcovach said:

These issues manifest most commonly in large systems

20 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Even small systems can be impacted

No criticism of you at all, but since people are using Ubiquiti without problems and PIM is mostly for more complex networks I think it would be nice if C4 was more specific about when the issue actually surfaces. I have some doubts it would surface on a flat network.

23 minutes ago, Pounce said:

No criticism of you at all, but since people are using Ubiquiti without problems and PIM is mostly for more complex networks I think it would be nice if C4 was more specific about when the issue actually surfaces. I have some doubts it would surface on a flat network.

I see your point.  I wasn't sure if one of your questions was directed towards which equipment on the list affects large or small systems.  I suppose you meant ubiquiti.  You say people aren't having problems, while its obvious tech support has to work with all the others that are.  This list is meant for dealers.  There is also another list on what settings to enable/disable for routers and managed switches. The information is there.  Sometimes its still not enough to avoid all conflicts. Tech support almost always wants to know what network equipment is being used when issues seem to point towards that.  I may not get the most thorough support if I'm using ubiquiti.  We've been warned.  That doesn't mean ubiquiti can't be used.  Even if you can run your system on an old Linksys WRT54G successfully, then use it.  In fact, it used to be somewhat popular for older Control4 systems once upon a time.

Linksys WRT54G Default Password & Other Support Info

It's like a family photo. They are so cute when they are young.

Yes, I just have an issue with a company blacklisting. Maybe better to modernize the functionality that is flaky on the C4 side. UDP?

14 hours ago, dcovach said:

There is a Kb article referencing products on the do not use list WITH explanations. This is the reason why any ubiquiti product is not supported.

Does not support PIM multicasting.  Only supports IGMP which causes issues such as Control4 devices that fall offline due to UDP keep-alive being blocked through multicast routing. These issues manifest most commonly in large systems with dual transport devices ie. Matrix switches Tuners, Amplifiers, and Centralized Lighting.

Can you please let me know what the KB article number is?

Thanks

Archived