C4 Forums | Control4

Got an estimate for my system upgrade, where can I trim the fat?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Crazyjack said:

I will say that after having a few hdmi matrices including the Leaf 4k unit, now that I have Videostorm, I will never go back to a matrix. NEVER.

Could you elaborate as to why?  Pros vs a traditional matrix?  Cons vs a traditional matrix?

37 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Could you elaborate as to why?  Pros vs a traditional matrix?  Cons vs a traditional matrix?

There are a number of threads in this forum regarding Video Storm. Have you looked at them or the VS website?

The Labour seems expensive if he isn’t running much wrong. CCTV costs do seem kind of high but it depends on the reliability you want. You could go with a less well known but wel rated brand like Reolink.

Network is also an overkill imo. UniFi gear will do you more than fine. 1 UGH, 1 non POE switch, 1 POE switch and a few UAP Pros. Could even swap out the switches for something non UniFi if you don’t need their functionality. 

15 hours ago, pinkoos said:

I'm not familiar with what the EA-1 and EA-5 are

EA-1 and EA-5 are 2 C4 controllers from the newest line. Guessing you have some older models then----EA-1 would be the equivalent of a small, one-room controller and the EA-5 is the whole-house level controller.  

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Okay, yeah, I have an HC-800 and an HC-300

You are probably going to want to consider upgrading to an EA3 or EA5 along with everything else.

Do you have or want any Touch Pads?

28 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

What will the new controllers give me that my current ones don't, aside from probably better/faster processing power?

Longer support lifecycle and potentially better sound. The 800 will be end of life soon. Depending on your HC800 and any additional licensing you may have there may be a desire for you to run the Control4 mobile apps. The new controllers come with those licenses. You may have the license already, but if you don't it's a good time to get everything dialed in.

3 hours ago, Pounce said:

Longer support lifecycle and potentially better sound. The 800 will be end of life soon. Depending on your HC800 and any additional licensing you may have there may be a desire for you to run the Control4 mobile apps. The new controllers come with those licenses. You may have the license already, but if you don't it's a good time to get everything dialed in.

Based on the dates of his touchscreen I’d guess his 800 has all required licenses.  Also why would you think the 800 is end of line soon?  Most devices are supported for 10 years on their platform.  

Hc800 was released in 2012.  I’d guess you got a few more years easily.  If your system functions with the 800 leading things and you aren’t adding major pieces I vote to keep your 800 if you are pinching pennies 

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Based on the dates of his touchscreen I’d guess his 800 has all required licenses.  Also why would you think the 800 is end of line soon?  Most devices are supported for 10 years on their platform.  

Hc800 was released in 2012.  I’d guess you got a few more years easily.  If your system functions with the 800 leading things and you aren’t adding major pieces I vote to keep your 800 if you are pinching pennies 

I have an 800 from 2012. It is not a BL1.

I'm not truly trying to convince him to swap the controller, only trying to raise the topic while he's in full upgrade mode. I think I used the term "You will want to consider".  The newer controllers are better. Whether he needs better is his choice. For reference I would like to stay on my 800, but I probably wont. There will most likely be a time where the 800 is supported, but will not further accommodate upgrades due to limited hardware support. 800 bucks now gets you current and extends your lifecycle somewhat aligned with the rest of the new planned gear. The risk with any older hardware is that things do have a lifespan. My 6yo audio matrix is probably dying. To be honest I'd rather not be dealing with issues due to older hardware failures. When you upgrade to newer equipment the objective is to mitigate the risk of failures to improve experience. The opposite approach is to run hardware until it breaks or cannot be upgraded. I'm comfortable doing either selectively. It just depends on your expectations of experience and what you are willing to spend for a care free lifestyle.

The dealer quotation is very well considered and reasonably priced. We also do a lot of Araknis / OVRC with great success and Ubiquiti wireless where  Araknis WAPs are too expensive.

There would be no reason to replace HC800 at this time, unless there were some efficiencies to gain e.g. rewiring an entire rack. 

The Leaf 8x8 is the biggest ticket item by far, but it is a very safe and known choice with full Control4 support. You might find an alternative for a $1,000 or $2,000 cheaper, but given the overall reasonableness of the quotation, I would go for it. And did the dealer apply your 10% existing Control4 customer discount?

34 minutes ago, AK1 said:

The dealer quotation is very well considered and reasonably priced. We also do a lot of Araknis / OVRC with great success and Ubiquiti wireless where  Araknis WAPs are too expensive.

There would be no reason to replace HC800 at this time, unless there were some efficiencies to gain e.g. rewiring an entire rack. 

The Leaf 8x8 is the biggest ticket item by far, but it is a very safe and known choice with full Control4 support. You might find an alternative for a $1,000 or $2,000 cheaper, but given the overall reasonableness of the quotation, I would go for it. And did the dealer apply your 10% existing Control4 customer discount?

Also there could be an additional 15% off an EA5 if interested in the upgrade, since @pinkoos would be migrating from an HC800.  Expires Dec 31 2018.

1 hour ago, AK1 said:

And did the dealer apply your 10% existing Control4 customer discount?

Not that I know of.  I don't see any discount in the estimate nor did he mention that he built that in to the quote.  I didn't know there was this policy.  Is it official?  Any documentation about it anywhere?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, pinkoos said:

Not that I know of.  I don't see any discount in the estimate nor did he mention that he built that in to the quote.  I didn't know there was this policy.  Is it official?  Any documentation about it anywhere?  Thanks.

It's well documented on dealer portal - 10% discount for existing customer of 6 months or longer. And a 15% controller upgrade program (must be an EA-5 for an HC800 upgrade).

5 minutes ago, AK1 said:

It's well documented on dealer portal - 10% discount for existing customer of 6 months or longer. And a 15% controller upgrade program (must be an EA-5 for an HC800 upgrade).

Oh and just to clarify, the discount only applies to Control4 hardware, right?  Doesn't apply to anything else in the quote (ie, non-C4 hardware, labor costs, etc.).

Archived