C4 Forums | Control4

New Apple TV IR Driver V6

To coincide with the release of Control4's OS3, I am announcing the release of my new Apple TV IR Driver, Version 6!

BRAND NEW 3D Icons, which match Apple's latest OS update.

Now includes more functions, including a discrete REBOOT and RESET RESOLUTION command, available for custom programming.

MAJOR shout-out to resident guru Eddy Trochez for help with graphics and icons, and Kevin Luther & BlackWire Designs for fueling this projects with their many snacks.

And notable mentions to all my beta testers this afternoon, who obviously were all at home playing with OS3, and available to test my driver at a moment's notice.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Load the new driver into your Documents -> Driver's folder,
2) Open Composer, you can use the Manage Drivers page to update the driver.

New Commands, REBOOT and RESET RESOLUTION are available via custom programming.

This driver is tested on HC800, and all EA series processors, on systems both 2.10.6 and OS3.0.

Use at your own risk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fndwt7idta1tzx/Apple_TV_V4_EA.c4z?dl=0

I've also had a few guys ask for clarification on the driver, so I'll answer those here:

1) This driver works on all OS versions that support c4z drivers, so this means 2.6 and newer, including 3.0. I just timed the release of this driver with the release of OS3.0. 
2) The File Name says V4, which refers to the version of Apple TV Hardware. This driver will work on V3 and older Apple TV's, but is optomized for the new Apple TV hardware, that have the thick hardware, and includes the Apple TV App Store.
3) V6 is the driver revision, which includes the latest discrete reboot / resolution commands, as well as new 3D graphics/icons. The previous version was V4, and did not include the new graphics, and discrete reboot/resolution commands. V5 was an unreleased beta version which had flat icons.
4) This driver has been tested on HC800, and all EA processors. Due to the unique and precise nature of some of the commands, using special repeat rates, performance of this driver for the specialy commands like Jump Home, Wiggle Icons, and press & holds on arrow keys for fast scrolling may not work on older processors like the HC200/300/500 and the HC250.

• 3 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, jesseasmith said:

I've also had a few guys ask for clarification on the driver, so I'll answer those here:

1) This driver works on all OS versions that support c4z drivers, so this means 2.6 and newer, including 3.0. I just timed the release of this driver with the release of OS3.0. 
2) The File Name says V4, which refers to the version of Apple TV Hardware. This driver will work on V3 and older Apple TV's, but is optomized for the new Apple TV hardware, that have the thick hardware, and includes the Apple TV App Store.
3) V6 is the driver revision, which includes the latest discrete reboot / resolution commands, as well as new 3D graphics/icons. The previous version was V4, and did not include the new graphics, and discrete reboot/resolution commands. V5 was an unreleased beta version which had flat icons.
4) This driver has been tested on HC800, and all EA processors. Due to the unique and precise nature of some of the commands, using special repeat rates, performance of this driver for the specialy commands like Jump Home, Wiggle Icons, and press & holds on arrow keys for fast scrolling may not work on older processors like the HC200/300/500 and the HC250.

Works great, many thanks ...

I have an Apple TV 4 (believe it’s the version just prior to 4K) in one room which has been controlled via IR since day 1 of my install. However it self upgraded to os13 and now doesn’t work. Does the new OS also break previous IR drivers? I’m aware if the 4K issues but not this.

Anywho, might could use someone to add this or another updated IR driver for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, jebt2921 said:

I have an Apple TV 4 (believe it’s the version just prior to 4K) in one room which has been controlled via IR since day 1 of my install. However it self upgraded to os13 and now doesn’t work. Does the new OS also break previous IR drivers? I’m aware if the 4K issues but not this.

Anywho, might could use someone to add this or another updated IR driver for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TvOS updates have no affect on the IR receiver/codes of the AppleTV. That's one thing they need to keep the same, unless they want to break "integration" with hundres of URC that utilize IR.

Try power cycling the device, it could just be locked up.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I just got my C4 Automation Programmer Cert.  I am struggling with catching on to this system.  I had to do a remote learning class.  C4 did a good job but they kept saying how much we were missing out by not doing it in person.  They weren't kidding.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

I am trying to do my first install.  A EA5 and the project has a Gen 5 ATV.  I can't tell if I added this driver correctly.  With the default C4 driver I don't see anything in Composer Pro in the Connections tab to map to the ATV.  I was taught in class to drag and drop the HDMI from the receiver, TV, and device onto the correct inputs/outputs and everything would work.  They didn't tell us what to do when there were no "Connections".  I know this is painful for you guys to field a question like this.  If you can stomach it, any help is hugely appreciated. 

They kept telling us in class to never call tech support.  I think I am going to break down and call.

36 minutes ago, Andreas STS said:

They kept telling us in class to never call tech support.

?

Maybe not for setup problems....

But this sounds like an issue with either the project, or your Composer install if it's showing NO connections.

Wait...unless you accidentally added the AppleTV(plus) universal minidriver....

PS driver in this thread is an IR driver (and I highly recommend it over the IP driver...)

Thank you!  I figured out why I couldn't see the driver.  I had to unselect "Certified Only".  Why do you recommend IR over IP?  I had added the "AppleTV(plus) universal minidriver", I think that is the C4 one.  I just couldn't figure it out and I was getting error messages.  I tried to add the one from JesseASmith, the guy who started the post, but I don't know if I did it right.  Do you ever setup a device to work both via IR and IP and then test which one works better?  I wish I could enable and disable things in a project while I tested them so I didn't have to delete them.  Is there such a thing?  

Anyway, I am going to try the one from IntrinsicDev and see how that goes.  Have you ever used any drivers from them before?  Is there a better store to buy C4 drivers from?  Am I stupid to buy drivers period?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.