C4 Forums | Control4

An automation question, but not necessarily Control4 automation.

I have an issue with my ISP....or maybe my cable modem.  I don't want to deal with my ISP (xfinity/comcast) because all they're going to do is try and get me to buy a new cable modem. 

About 4 times in the last 2 months my internet will just die.  At first glance, the cable modem appears to be working fine and even the ISP will report that there are no problems.  But all I have to do is reboot the cable modem and then everything comes up fine.

So here's what I want to do: 

I'm thinking creating a cron job on my home router (pfsense VM) that will ping 8.8.8.8 once every minute or so and if it fails to successfully ping it then somehow have the router send a command to a smart power strip (or wemo smart plug) to reboot the outlet that my cable modem would be connected to, and then wait 5-10 minutes before it starts pinging again. I'd have to figure out the trick to get the router to talk to the power strip though. I'd have to reverse engineer the protocol that the power strip is using to receive commands.  I'm guessing it's using encryption as well.

I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/TECKIN-Multiple-Protector-Bar%EF%BC%8CRemote-Compatible/dp/B07FM3P87S/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=smart+power+strip&qid=1563740295&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Has anyone ever tinkered with one of these?  If so, is it possible to control with something as simple as a json command?  Could it be scripted?

Alternatively, as a Control4 solution, I could (maybe?) have the controller ping 8.8.8.8 and if it fails then have the controller reboot the outlet; assuming a driver could be written to support the smart plug.  The problem with this is if a ping to 8.8.8.8 fails from the control4 controller then it's possible that the router is the issue, not the cable box.  At which point it'd be needlessly rebooting the cable modem.  This is why I think it'd be best if the router were the device performing the ping.

Thoughts?  More effort than it's worth?  Should I just switch ISPs?

Upgrade to a business account with Comcast. The "service" is better and has different response times for service level agreements. Lease your modem from Comcast so when you have issues they don't play the blame game and service calls wont get you an extra charge. When they come to install the modem be there and ask the tech to test the line and also ask him his experience with the neighborhood and local area. They can sometimes just tell you its messed up. They can be very geeky and want to help also. Different crews for business vs residential most of the time.

There are web connected power strips that do this exact function - like the Digital Loggers web power switch.  I bought one of these when my cable company had really unstable firmware on their cable modems about 5 years ago.

You could run  a cron job on a PC on your LAN to do this as well.  But you would need to keep a PC on 24/7 and you would need to be able to know how to access the API on your Wemo smart plug - or whatever, programmatically.

2 minutes ago, dutsnekcirf said:

I'm not sure I understand.  I have an UPS.  Or are you actually referring to the United Postal Service.  In which case, I still don't understand what you're trying to say.

He’s saying get a ups that can be told to cycle power for you.

I use digital loggers switches, have all the features you need including pinging IP’s and automatically reboots ports when sensing no traffic, this exactly what I have for my ISP modem, also very handy with rebooting cable boxes, satellite receivers, Roku, etc.

Have a native driver with C4, I have 2 running for the past 3 years, no issues, it will set you $180/PDU back!

https://dlidirect.com/products/universal-input-voltage-pdu

When the “internet dies” is it just WiFi for hardwired Ethernet too?

Are you using the Comcast gateway for your modem?

what are you using for your router?

you have it on a battery back up (UPS)? Is everything for your network on this?

do you have their TV service? Does that “die” too?

if you’re using the X1 platform do you have the proper cable distribution/amp installed? Or is you CATV just haphazardly run all over the place and have basic 1000mhz splitters?

Do you live in a rural area? Construction nearby? Are you at the end of a dead end road?

new issue or ongoing for more than 2 months?

there are so many unknowns that could be causing this. Main thing is tho, rebooting shouldn’t be necessary. 

22 hours ago, dutsnekcirf said:

About 4 times in the last 2 months my internet will just die.  At first glance, the cable modem appears to be working fine and even the ISP will report that there are no problems.  But all I have to do is reboot the cable modem and then everything comes up fine.

Not sure if your using one but I had this exact scenario and it turned out to be my network switch. It turned out that the reason my router and ISP wasn't showing a problem was the fact there wasn't one. 😱😭

14 hours ago, knowitall said:

When the “internet dies” is it just WiFi for hardwired Ethernet too?

Are you using the Comcast gateway for your modem?

what are you using for your router?

you have it on a battery back up (UPS)? Is everything for your network on this?

do you have their TV service? Does that “die” too?

if you’re using the X1 platform do you have the proper cable distribution/amp installed? Or is you CATV just haphazardly run all over the place and have basic 1000mhz splitters?

Do you live in a rural area? Construction nearby? Are you at the end of a dead end road?

new issue or ongoing for more than 2 months?

there are so many unknowns that could be causing this. Main thing is tho, rebooting shouldn’t be necessary. 

When the “internet dies” is it just WiFi for hardwired Ethernet too?  Hardwired ethernet too.

Are you using the Comcast gateway for your modem?  I'm using Comcast's TG1682G combo wifi router and cable modem.  It's in Bridged mode though so it's only behaving as a cable modem.  I've also disabled the WIFI on it.  I'm using my own WIFI Access Point.

What are you using for your router?  My router is a Pfsense Virtual Machine running inside of a VMware ESXi server  (Dell R610).

You have it on a battery back up (UPS)? Is everything for your network on this?  The UPS is supplying power backup for the cable modem, the ESXi Server, and my WIFI AP.

Do you have their TV service? Does that “die” too?  I do not have their TV service.  I only want internet service from them.  They keep trying to sell me on their streaming crap though.

if you’re using the X1 platform do you have the proper cable distribution/amp installed? Or is you CATV just haphazardly run all over the place and have basic 1000mhz splitters?  Nothing in my house is connected to coaxial cable with exception to the Cable Modem.

Do you live in a rural area? Construction nearby? Are you at the end of a dead end road?  I'm in a basic suburban neighborhood.  No construction nearby.

new issue or ongoing for more than 2 months?  Kind of a new issue as of about 2 months ago.

There are so many unknowns that could be causing this. Main thing is tho, rebooting shouldn’t be necessary. Indeed.  Rebooting should not be necessary.

Here's a diagram of my home network if you're interested: https://imgur.com/a/rG8T7MB

11 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

You mention you're using pfSense for the inside FW.  So what do you use the comcast crap for? How old is the cable modem?

I'm using Comcast's crap (TG1682G) only as a cable modem.  I've put it in Bridge mode so the pfsense router is the device that actually receives the public IP lease.  While in Bridge mode all of the extra features of the modem are disabled.  The cable modem is maybe 1 year old.  Might need new firmware...I'll have to look into that.

3 hours ago, tdougray said:

Not sure if your using one but I had this exact scenario and it turned out to be my network switch. It turned out that the reason my router and ISP wasn't showing a problem was the fact there wasn't one. 😱😭

What kind of network switch did you have?  How did you come to discover it was your switch?  Were you rebooting both your cable modem and your switch in order to get internet back up?

13 hours ago, dutsnekcirf said:

I'm using Comcast's crap (TG1682G) only as a cable modem.  I've put it in Bridge mode so the pfsense router is the device that actually receives the public IP lease.  While in Bridge mode all of the extra features of the modem are disabled.  The cable modem is maybe 1 year old.  Might need new firmware...I'll have to look into that.

bridge mode.....simple. I do the same with my FIOS setup, with one exception. I don't use their box in bridge mode. My firewall connect direct. Not sure if Comcast is a ethernet or coax handoff for you, but if ethernet just look into removing their box.

I'd check if there's a firmware upgrade, then test. If it continues call comcast and have them replace the crap.

On 7/23/2019 at 4:38 AM, knowitall said:

Main thing is tho, rebooting shouldn’t be necessary. 

This.

I worked for Comcast 10 years ago. My group tested cable modem deployments and telemetry. If there is a problem with your line or your modem someone knows it. The problem is the folks working consumer support are doing the best they can with their given aptitude and skills. (get what I mean?) In other words you are going to get better support from the Business class service because they have SLA's for responding to issues. You still have the same cable and service, but you will get different hardware and if there are issues with the line they will spend more time improving it.

I'll say it again, get business class internet from Comcast. It costs a bit more, but it's insurance for this kind of thing.

Also, replace your cables or make sure you know your cables are good. Don't use the one from the cable modem box.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:37 AM, dutsnekcirf said:

What kind of network switch did you have?  How did you come to discover it was your switch?  Were you rebooting both your cable modem and your switch in order to get internet back up?

I had a TP link managed switch and to start off with i was shutting down the router and switch together. It was just bugging me that when it did go down the router was still signalling that everything was ok so the next time i just took a punt and re-booted the switch and hey presto all come back online. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.