C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee Outlet Recommendations

EverAction

I can just go with a Control4 Outlet Switch/Dimmer but I'm not a big fan of its bulkiness nor of the fact it hasn't been updated in almost a decade. Was wondering what other solutions might be out there. I've used Telkonet EcoGuard outlets for a hospitality job and they worked well. Unfortunately it's damn near impossible to just purchase one of them (combined with the fact I no longer work for a Telkonet partner or Control4 dealer). It doesn't have to be built into the outlet either, a wall-wart is acceptable (just not as huge at the C4 one lol).

I know I could just go with a WiFi outlet and be done with this, but would love to tie it in natively with the rest of my Zigbee mesh without having to purchase a separate driver. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I cannot go the Z-Wave route either. I don't have an EAx controller to use to host the Z-Wave antenna.

Thanks for the help!

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

well since you ruled out every other option ;) 

you only have 3 routes: the single zigbee option, WiFi (recommend TPLink) or ZWave.

LOL yep that's what I figured from my day worth of searching, but wanted to make sure. By chance I did another search for a Telkonet EcoGuard after the initial post and found one for sale on Amazon. It's on the way. Also found the C4 driver on the dealer forums. When I get everything done I'll follow-up on here with the results and a copy of the driver.

Thanks!

for what its worth - Unifi outlets used to work with a Houselogix Driver

It was an expensive driver ($190) and not sure anyone picked it up when HL shut down so I'd certainly not buy it now but maybe someone could revive that driver at a more cost effective price point.

Just now, eggzlot said:

for what its worth - Unifi outlets used to work with a Houselogix Driver

It was an expensive driver ($190) and not sure anyone picked it up when HL shut down so I'd certainly not buy it now but maybe someone could revive that driver at a more cost effective price point.

Isn't that product line dead? 

54 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

axxess has in line dimmers. what type of load?

Get ready to laugh...

Holidays are coming, this time around I’d like to have my Christmas tree on schedule with the rest of the lighting system instead of me constantly forgetting to unplug the tree. Lights in the tree are LED. Don’t know if Axxess makes a switch version but I’ve also had experiences with the dimmer version that made me stay away from them going forward.

13 minutes ago, EverAction said:

Get ready to laugh...

Holidays are coming, this time around I’d like to have my Christmas tree on schedule with the rest of the lighting system instead of me constantly forgetting to unplug the tree. Lights in the tree are LED. Don’t know if Axxess makes a switch version but I’ve also had experiences with the dimmer version that made me stay away from them going forward.

I use a wemo and IFTTT driver for a Christmas tree.  I have a Christmas mode in my house that changes the doorbell to Xmas themes as well as controlling switched outlets for exterior lights and the wemo for the tree. 

4 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I use a wemo and IFTTT driver for a Christmas tree.  I have a Christmas mode in my house that changes the doorbell to Xmas themes as well as controlling switched outlets for exterior lights and the wemo for the tree. 

I’ll keep this in mind if I have a problem with the EcoGuard. I was trying to avoid buying hardware and software. If the EcoGuard works it’ll be cheaper in the long run.

Only problem I foresee is me forgetting the identification process on these and I can’t find the addendum for connecting it directly to Control4. I think it has a weird tap sequence, not your typical 4 tap. 

52 minutes ago, EverAction said:

Get ready to laugh...

not laughing the axxess should work just fine. Blackwire sells them PM me if you do not have access. I personally use the C4 outlets and hide them behind the tree.

18 hours ago, EverAction said:

Get ready to laugh...

Big fan of Kasa (TP Link) KP200 in wall outlets w Chomain driver. 

The EcoGuard worked! Attached  is a copy of the driver. The instructions to identify were also in the box on a printed paper (hold the join button for about 10 seconds and release when the top LED starts to rapidly blink red).

I got really lucky that coincidentally a single EcoGuard was available on Amazon this week:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VN8CZPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again for the help all!

Telkonet_EcoGuard.zip

On 9/3/2019 at 8:19 PM, msgreenf said:

nope, they stopped selling them about 2 months ago

This further confirms my feelings on Axxess. They had really awesome looking products that were just always plagued with some kind of issue. Like when that firmware was around that it was draining the batteries in the Motion Detectors that you couldn't find anywhere, that was always a real treat. Or when the Dimmer module would decide to put on a spark show even though there was no short or over wattage issues...

That damn doorbell too.....

Two more things to note....

1) This thing is deep. So if you have a lot of wires in the gang box, get ready to battle with getting it to fit in. It probably has another cm at least on a standard C4 Keypad Dimmer.

2) The LEDs are on if the outlet on. So if the outlet is in a visible spot, this can be a nuisance (doesn't bother me, but I remember my light sensitive customers who would have a fit if they saw this). I could have sworn the driver I used previously gave the ability to shut the LEDs off regardless of the outlet status, however the driver I posted earlier does not provide that options.

I might have a copy of the driver that has this feature, but it'll take me some time to search it out. I will update if I find it.

54 minutes ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

EverAction - can you take full advantage of the features of the EcoGuard switch?   I am looking for an outlet that can do energy monitoring as well as control

TP-Link has a model that does energy monitoring, and you can use energy levels for programming triggers if you use the Chowmain driver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.