C4 Forums | Control4

Review: Neo Remote

After having one pretty much since launch - DISCLAIMER *** my views based on  how I use a remote.

Pros:

1. Quality is excellent
  2. Great out of the box experience (nice little thoughts like the cable management) you feel like its a $600 remote.
  3. Usage is actually pretty good, glad they updated it some nice new features like volume indicator, locks and sensors and security.
  4. Screen is very responsive and good quality
  5. Navigation through the system is actually pretty easy and cool
  6. Not really a PRO but rather feedback. Often I have guests asking what is that remote and super impressed with it due to the quality and intergration so some "outsiders" non C4 views and perspectives are very positive.
  7. Great base station, next time add a USB port to the bottom to charge other devices. Chances are if you chilling watching TV  you have your phone with you and would be cool to plug in and charge :) There is enough space and I would suspect most of the base is for weight. 
  8. Braided charging cable - nice touch.

Cons:

1. Would be flamed if I didn't have these four but TBH none of these items bother me whatsoever.
    1. No back-light - I have gotten use to it so the button position I know and don't need to look down. Also most of the navigation I use the touch screen.
    2. Lack of some of the system functions i.e. Comfort, Intercom (not to use voice but to see camera)
    3. Lack of camera integration. The Screen is big enough to pick up if someone is being seen on a camera.
    4. No voice commands - again doesn't bother me as the common ones like Alexa, Siri, Cortana etc are tuned for American accents and don't really work that well where I live.
  2. The bottom part of the remote has a lot of wasted space could have done with putting a little track pad there to leave the screen open for any other bits of info.
  3. Tidal integration lacks a lot however I suspect this is a core Tidal driver issue and not the NEO.

Overall will I be buying some more - Absolutely 

I am going to open the bugger up (yes don't care if warentee / guarantee is voided...) want to see what processor, flash and GFX they use. This will give us a good indication if the remote is capable of displaying cameras - then really there should be no excuse for camera integration. 

Another useful review! Agree with all your comments.  Would add that many of the cons will (I hope) be fixed via software updates.

Additional cons (all fixable via software updates) include:

- limited programming ability (e.g. it would nice to be able to call the home button via programming);

- Limited customization of display (e.g. it would be nice to show 3 rows of buttons on the screen instead of 2)

- Limited customization of hard buttons (e.g. would be nice to change what they do via settings and programming and by device selected - a programming option would allow for this). 

Comfort has been on the Neeo for quite some time now.
Maybe I'm missing this.. but is there not a way to quickly change rooms?  I wish you could "favorite" a couple rooms and have the ability to quickly change between them.. if you can, I'm just missing it.

You right comfort has been there! Strike that one off.

18 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have 4 TS3 ~ had issues with the Nero when given one to test early days. 

Are we saying now that a neeo is worth buying ? 

Gary, we all have a wish list for new functions, Im a dealer, I love mine.. It is my remote that follows me around the house.. the only thing I use the app for now is music browsing... 

I wish there was a way to disable the charge dock sounds and why or why does it need to say charging for so long.  Sometimes I put it on the charger, just to pull it right off and want to use it, but I can't because the charging icon is still there.

I have found the battery life to be surprisingly good. I can leave it off the dock for a few days and its still at like 60%.

I have had my remote freeze up once or twice now.

Biggest issue without a doubt is no backlight for the buttons. Firmware's not gunna fix that. I do think its a bit pricey and still a tough sell. But it is pretty nice.

I have even had the cat send the remote flying off the nightstand and smash pretty hard and no cracked screen or anything like that. So it does seem to hold up alright.

Yep I can confirm my remote never locked up before the latest update that introduced the On Screen Volume overlay. 

Also will note I am using a Pakedge WA-2200 WAP with Pakedge RK1 router. 

My WAP is in the Master Bed about 10-15 ft away from the remote. So its definitely not a Wi-Fi/Networking range issue or anything like that.

The remote is very responsive though and I think its even faster than an SR260 to issue commands.

I would likely say it will be another 4 months or so before all the bugs are worked out and all the features are fully baked.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:54 AM, LollerAgent said:

Maybe I'm missing this.. but is there not a way to quickly change rooms?  I wish you could "favorite" a couple rooms and have the ability to quickly change between them.. if you can, I'm just missing it.

You can create Remote Focused Buttons for each room you want to switch to, and in programming, have the remote change to that room.

Then it's a swipe to the left (to get to the Remote Focused Buttons screen), and hit one button (then swipe back).

RyanE

You also could add Experience Button (UIButton proxy) drivers in your project that you would then favorite, and have their programming switch your remote to a different room.

The big drawback to that is that those same favorites will appear on your T3 touchscreens and on-screen, and will still cause your remote to switch rooms (which may or may not be what you'd want).

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

You can create Remote Focused Buttons for each room you want to switch to, and in programming, have the remote change to that room.

Then it's a swipe to the left (to get to the Remote Focused Buttons screen), and hit one button (then swipe back).

RyanE

@RyanE - if you can add a programming command that functions like the “home” button then one could take a step out of this task and many others... would be really awesome.

28 minutes ago, RyanE said:

You also could add Experience Button (UIButton proxy) drivers in your project that you would then favorite, and have their programming switch your remote to a different room.

The big drawback to that is that those same favorites will appear on your T3 touchscreens and on-screen, and will still cause your remote to switch rooms (which may or may not be what you'd want).

RyanE

Or you can create a separate room for the remote (home room).  I eventually did this as I have lots of Experience buttons that I want on my remote but not on my T3s / iOS app.

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

I don't understand what you're asking for.

RyanE

If one presses the hard “home” button on the remote, it takes the Neeo screen back to the front page.  It would be nice to be able to program a command via Composer that does the same thing.  This can then be used in macros etc.

22 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

@RyanE - if you can add a programming command that functions like the “home” button then one could take a step out of this task and many others... would be really awesome.

It looks like when the room changes, it goes to the home page in any case.

It's a good idea, I can think of times when it'd be useful, but it's not needed in this case.

RyanE

50 minutes ago, RyanE said:

It looks like when the room changes, it goes to the home page in any case.

It's a good idea, I can think of times when it'd be useful, but it's not needed in this case.

RyanE

Agreed... I have used 2 room changes (I.e. change away from the current room and then back to it) to achieve what I want in programming but that is a bit messy and slow,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.