C4 Forums | Control4

EA5 vs EA3

jorge_zr

I'm thinking about getting a C4 system and am unsure about which controller to get. To being with, I will just be doing lighting, climate, shades, and lock in the front door. I mentioned to my dealer that later on, I would like to add a door station and 4 touchscreens so that I can answer and open the front gate throughout the house. I may consider 4 zones of audio later on but this is unlikely. Which controller should I get?

22 minutes ago, jorge_zr said:

I'm thinking about getting a C4 system and am unsure about which controller to get. To being with, I will just be doing lighting, climate, shades, and lock in the front door. I mentioned to my dealer that later on, I would like to add a door station and 4 touchscreens so that I can answer and open the front gate throughout the house. I may consider 4 zones of audio later on but this is unlikely. Which controller should I get?

once you mentioned touchscreens and DS, I instantly said EA5 to myself, just my opinion

The EA-3 would likely work well for you.

A few things that would push me to EA-5 in this case:

• If you were going to do multiple audio zones, the EA-3 only has 2 stereo/digital audio streaming outputs, so in your 4 zone audio case, those 4 zones couldn't all be listening to different things at one time.  The EA-5 provides 4 stereo/digital audio outputs, along with the HDMI ('fifth') audio output.
  • If you are mounting in a rack, the EA-5 is full rack width, so cleaner to mount.
  • If you were also going to use the contacts/relays on the EA-5 for something like garage door control, etc.

Edited to add: as mentioned above, the touchscreens/doorstation also would push me more towards EA-5.

RyanE

The dealer is recommending the EA5 because of the additional processing power that the door station and touchscreens would require in the future.

Another question about the audio feeds. So with the EA3, I would not be able to play 3 different songs from spotify at the same time. Is that correct?

the EA3 does have 3 streams of audio (hence the 3) however the 3rd stream, as Mitch said, is only from the HDMI port. Technically, yes you can still make it work but requires some special driver building and adapters. If you want the 3 or more streams of audio go with the EA5.

Yes, stick with the EA5 for a full house controller.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:36 PM, RyanE said:

The EA-3 would likely work well for you.

A few things that would push me to EA-5 in this case:

• If you were going to do multiple audio zones, the EA-3 only has 2 stereo/digital audio streaming outputs, so in your 4 zone audio case, those 4 zones couldn't all be listening to different things at one time.  The EA-5 provides 4 stereo/digital audio outputs, along with the HDMI ('fifth') audio output.
  • If you are mounting in a rack, the EA-5 is full rack width, so cleaner to mount.
  • If you were also going to use the contacts/relays on the EA-5 for something like garage door control, etc.

Edited to add: as mentioned above, the touchscreens/doorstation also would push me more towards EA-5.

RyanE

Curious why Touchscreens operate better with EA5?

It also depends on what your audio source is going to be.  If it will be a native C4 source or Spotify then you will need more audio feeds on the controller.  But if you will use other sources like an Echo device then you don't have to worry about as many feeds coming from the C4 controller.

Depending on your AV setup then you may want more than one controller to have IR control and OSD in additional rooms.

I would also recommend the EA5. Entire system performance is dependent on the main controller. The only thing above this would be the ca10 but that would be for a much larger project and will be more than what you need for your system from what i can tell with the little information provided. I have more thoughts on this here old but still relevant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.