C4 Forums | Control4

Single room amp

drmark12pa

Question

I'm looking to add a single controllable zone for my utility room/extra pinball machine room.  I was using my rack HC800 in the utility room to run into an old (circa 1990!) Sony receiver which works just fined but was hoping to have control over Power and volume controls.  My plan would be to just use the RCA outs on the HC800 as I have been doing but need some control for volume and power on the amp itself.  Any suggestions/recommendations?

24 answers to this question

18 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

I was just reading specs on it... Looks great but the price seems a bit high at roughly $700?

Eh... 192 kHz / 24 bit WIFI capable streamer with integrated 100wpc amp. Thats a fully integrated Control4 audio zone with 2 IR control ports and local audio inputs for digitalization... its a good buy even at the cost. 

If you are using the analogue outputs on the HC800 then you just need a dumb power amp and set the HC800 to be the audio volume endpoint so the the HC800 handles all the volume control.

Similarly, with your current setup using the old receiver, why do you not have volume control, surely just knocking together a basic IR driver for the Sony receiver will give you the control that you need.

I don't disagree with the recommendations of the Triad One, its an excellent product, but can't actually figure out why you cannot just control the power and volume of the setup you have already?

11 hours ago, Crustyloafer said:

If you are using the analogue outputs on the HC800 then you just need a dumb power amp and set the HC800 to be the audio volume endpoint so the the HC800 handles all the volume control.

Similarly, with your current setup using the old receiver, why do you not have volume control, surely just knocking together a basic IR driver for the Sony receiver will give you the control that you need.

I don't disagree with the recommendations of the Triad One, its an excellent product, but can't actually figure out why you cannot just control the power and volume of the setup you have already?

The Sony is from 1990.... one channel is a bit rough at times so needs to be tossed.  I'm sure I could have my dealer add a driver but not really worth it at this point.

13 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

The Sony is from 1990.... one channel is a bit rough at times so needs to be tossed.  I'm sure I could have my dealer add a driver but not really worth it at this point.

His point is still important. If you are budget sensitive like most of us are and (IF) physically connecting RCAs to a free hc800 output is possible, just purchase an amp of whatever level and save yourself $100's. The HC800 output can control your volume for that zone. What type of speakers are you trying to power? 

They are some old Advent bookshelf speakers.... Still sound good however.  I don't mind spending a little extra if I ever move the zone to somewhere I would need to reach easier as well.  Control4 keeps coming out with so many things it's hard to keep up so this was a new one for me that they had this ability to have a zone added.

2 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

They are some old Advent bookshelf speakers.... Still sound good however.  I don't mind spending a little extra if I ever move the zone to somewhere I would need to reach easier as well.  Control4 keeps coming out with so many things it's hard to keep up so this was a new one for me that they had this ability to have a zone added.

You won't be sorry with the performance, and the processing quality is better from the Triad One versus the 800...

IDK... Control4 has a pretty limited product lineup IMO. Enjoy. 

You can always pick up an old Speakerpoint for less than $50 and give that a try, if you're still in 2.1.x. Add it to your project and plug your speakers in. I had ethernet model and worked well for years. The wifi model relied on unsecure wifi, so wouldnt be my choice. I recently replaced them with the Triad One. Pricey, but a nice unit. I managed to find some for a good chunk less than MSRP

On 4/13/2020 at 2:13 PM, Crustyloafer said:

set the HC800 to be the audio volume endpoint so the the HC800 handles all the volume control.

Hmm  🙋‍♂️, any chance of a screenshot of what that setting looks like? 🤓

On 4/16/2020 at 7:01 PM, Crazyjack said:

VSSL A.1 $570 with free driver.  Stream direct to it or add to C4.  And you can buy it direct.

https://vssl.com/product/a-1/

If space is an issue, this is a great option.

If not, why not just get a $350 Denon receiver? Turns itself on when you stream to it. Has great C4 integration. 

On 6/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Elvis said:

If space is an issue, this is a great option.

If not, why not just get a $350 Denon receiver? Turns itself on when you stream to it. Has great C4 integration. 

By chance which specific denon are you talking about?  I’m currently in this same boat of trying to plan out audio

43 minutes ago, Bmwbball88 said:

By chance which specific denon are you talking about?  I’m currently in this same boat of trying to plan out audio

Last year’s S650H. They have a cheaper $280 model if you don’t need Airplay2. Has Bluetooth. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.