C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos S2 and Control4 - any issues?

Hi, does anybody know if today's Sonos S2 update wreaks havoc with any Control4 integrations?

I know the update just dropped a few minutes ago, but maybe you were on the S2 beta and already have some experience? Or, maybe you've read or heard something about this?

Please let us know

Thanks

The next question is in a C4 environment where I am just using the ZP90 as a source for whole-house audio matrix is there any reason I need to upgrade, since the ZP90 isn't going to be getting upgrades going forward?  They're offering 30% off an upgrade and with Sonos not allowing discounts I think that is the best I will see.

47 minutes ago, turls said:

The next question is in a C4 environment where I am just using the ZP90 as a source for whole-house audio matrix is there any reason I need to upgrade, since the ZP90 isn't going to be getting upgrades going forward?  They're offering 30% off an upgrade and with Sonos not allowing discounts I think that is the best I will see.

You can't upgrade, S2 doesn't support ZP90. So if that's your only device, you're sticking with S1.

Control4 has stated in the dealer forum: (6-5-2020)

1. Nothing needs to be done driver wise, an auto push update will be sent, same driver will be used for S1 or S2 or Split.
2. Updated driver is only to deal with split systems, current driver would make it appear that you could group across a split, which is of course not possible.
3. Plan is to do a device firmware check by the driver going forward, to expose relevant new features to S2 units as they are released by Sonos and their API.

So 1 driver now, and for the foreseeable future.

NOTHING needs to be done by dealers or owners on the Control4 side.

43 minutes ago, RAV said:

Control4 has stated in the dealer forum: (6-5-2020)

1. Nothing needs to be done driver wise, an auto push update will be sent, same driver will be used for S1 or S2 or Split.
2. Updated driver is only to deal with split systems, current driver would make it appear that you could group across a split, which is of course not possible.
3. Plan is to do a device firmware check by the driver going forward, to expose relevant new features to S2 units as they are released by Sonos and their API.

So 1 driver now, and for the foreseeable future.

NOTHING needs to be done by dealers or owners on the Control4 side.

This is very helpful, thank you

13 hours ago, EverAction said:

You can't upgrade, S2 doesn't support ZP90. So if that's your only device, you're sticking with S1.

I'm asking is there a reason feature wise to upgrade to the ZP90 successor--the "Port" so I can take advantage of current and future S2 enhancements.  Considering my use case I mean.  Surely there is some great new feature that justifies the purchase of a Port in S2 right?

9 hours ago, turls said:

I'm asking is there a reason feature wise to upgrade to the ZP90 successor--the "Port" so I can take advantage of current and future S2 enhancements.  Considering my use case I mean.  Surely there is some great new feature that justifies the purchase of a Port in S2 right?

One reason I cant "upgrade" my connect to a port is because the connect has 3 different audio outputs (analog, optical and coax) whereas the port only has 2 (analog and optical). I need all 3 because the 2 digital outputs feed 2 AVR's that I have while the analog feeds a Russound audio matrix.

avsetup.png

14 minutes ago, therockhr said:

One reason I cant "upgrade" my connect to a port is because the connect has 3 different audio outputs (analog, optical and coax) whereas the port only has 2 (analog and optical). I need all 3 because the 2 digital outputs feed 2 AVR's that I have while the analog feeds a Russound audio matrix.

avsetup.png

https://www.amazon.com/Mutifunctional-Digital-Converter-Tiancai-Adapters/dp/B081PJXMM5/ref=sr_1_78?dchild=1&keywords=optical%2Bto%2Banalog%2Bdigital&qid=1591715078&sr=8-78&th=1

12 hours ago, turls said:

Currently at this time, no. The only device that actually takes advantage of a new feature of S2 is the Arc for Dolby Atmos support, and it can only run on S2. Right now I think they're just laying the foundation for higher quality music feeds. I updated from S1 to S2 yesterday and there's nothing new feature wise to report with my setup (Beam & two Play:3's in surround, and 2 Play:1s in separate rooms.

So unless you have an Arc (or one of the other new products that only support S2), there's no "must have" reason to upgrade at this time.

3 hours ago, therockhr said:

avsetup.png

You could try to find a newer generation Connect (made after 2015). Those are supported by S2. But good luck getting a seller to confirm that for you. Other option is to use an audio split for the digital output. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tendak-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B06XCTGZFT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=optical+in+to+optical+and+coax+out&qid=1591726419&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDFPRVlYV0U1WjFLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzg4MjI1WUNDM1ZNV0REVUxPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjM3MzEyUDFaSVdKRVkyU0NBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Sucks to have to add another part but it is probably the better option than searching for the elusive "after 2015" Connect.

13 minutes ago, dinom said:

Anyone know if C4 works with the portable Sonos Move?  Since the Move can disappear from the home WiFi (say I bring it to another location) what would the driver do if missing?

I don't have a Move myself, but the C4 driver uses a sort of UID gained by the Network Driver of all the available Sonos devices on the network. Each Sonos Driver you add you select one of the devices populated from the Network Driver. After power failure, the Control4 driver is able to resume control with the regular devices once they're back on the network. I see this being no different than with the Move.

That being said, if you put the Move in Bluetooth mode you'll lose control. That's the one event I'd be worried about the driver not knowing how to react to and if it recovers properly.

15 hours ago, turls said:

Do you use the announcements feature with the C4 Sonos driver? If so, you'll get better announcement functionality with the Port -- you no longer are forced to put your announcements in the favorite list for them to be pushed to your Sonos device.  Not exactly a headline feature, but it's worth something, if you're almost on the fence about it anyway.

10 hours ago, DLite said:

Do you use the announcements feature with the C4 Sonos driver? If so, you'll get better announcement functionality with the Port -- you no longer are forced to put your announcements in the favorite list for them to be pushed to your Sonos device.  Not exactly a headline feature, but it's worth something, if you're almost on the fence about it anyway.

I don't currently, but I was looking at doing more with announcements, so good to know.

18 hours ago, EverAction said:

You could try to find a newer generation Connect (made after 2015). Those are supported by S2. But good luck getting a seller to confirm that for you. Other option is to use an audio split for the digital output. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Tendak-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B06XCTGZFT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=optical+in+to+optical+and+coax+out&qid=1591726419&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDFPRVlYV0U1WjFLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzg4MjI1WUNDM1ZNV0REVUxPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjM3MzEyUDFaSVdKRVkyU0NBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Sucks to have to add another part but it is probably the better option than searching for the elusive "after 2015" Connect.

I have wondered about moving to a Denon HEOS link in the event the Sonos connect quits working. I havent heard many people talk about it though. Wonder how the driver is.

Email from Control4 Re sonos: 

MPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING SONOS SOFTWARE UPDATE 

On June 8th, Sonos released their S2 software and app. Control4 systems with integrated Sonos products will continue to work together.

Sonos systems that remain on the S1 software will continue to work with Control4. Sonos systems that update to S2 software will work with the Control4 drivers as well. 

Control4 has updated the Sonos drivers for Control4 to allow use of "split" Sonos systems, where some Sonos devices remain on S1 and others are updated to S2. The drivers will allow grouping of zones running the same software version but will not allow grouping of S1 zones with S2 zones. This behavior mirrors the Sonos app and is a limitation within the Sonos platform. 

48 minutes ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

Email from Control4 Re sonos: 

MPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING SONOS SOFTWARE UPDATE 

On June 8th, Sonos released their S2 software and app. Control4 systems with integrated Sonos products will continue to work together.

Sonos systems that remain on the S1 software will continue to work with Control4. Sonos systems that update to S2 software will work with the Control4 drivers as well. 

Control4 has updated the Sonos drivers for Control4 to allow use of "split" Sonos systems, where some Sonos devices remain on S1 and others are updated to S2. The drivers will allow grouping of zones running the same software version but will not allow grouping of S1 zones with S2 zones. This behavior mirrors the Sonos app and is a limitation within the Sonos platform. 

Thanks for this info

On 6/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, mstafford388 said:

Seems like the only issue that is caused is you can't group rooms on S1 devices with rooms on S2 devices.  

and that streaming services limit the number of streams allowed. So a split system might end up fighting itself when someone changes streams in the other half of the Sonos system. If you only have 1 Spotify account linked, and someone starts a stream in S1, then someone starts a stream in S2, the S1 stream will stop. And THAT'S a service call. "My music keeps stopping"

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4824?language=en_US

Alexa and Hey Google also each won't split well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.