C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Doors

I have all 3 of my garage doors on C4 where I can open and close them, however I have no way of knowing whether they are currently opened or closed.  Is there anyway to change this or do I need and add on product?  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks for the help!

14 minutes ago, nfv123 said:

Are they sensors I need to get from my control 4 dealer?

No they are just generic garage door contacts, but they would need to be tied into the Control4 system so you would need a dealer for that.  Or you could go with a tilt sensor but I prefer the contact option...no batteries. 

5 minutes ago, nfv123 said:

Any certain brand you know that works well ? Thank you for the help...new to the c4 world and my dealer is not very helpful

Are you handy or just want to stick something on?  Tilt sensors literally just stick on. Actual contacts you mount to the door then it’s easy but need to be wired into a device.  

as mentioned you will need a dealer either way.  Tons of helpful and responsive ones here 

This is what we use.  We don't buy them there, just the first link I saw when I google it.

https://www.alarmliquidators.com/honeywell-958-overhead-garage-door-hardwired-sensor-with-magnet/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp958&sc_intid=958&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNU4tZAVeySddEUaeUcqOLwBVxwQxOU8e7eub7TvDsnADEaf2udhh71BoCWq0QAvD_BwE

Also, I would definitely NOT buy a MyQ if you don't need to.  Integration is a bit of a mess at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

the tilt sensors are really nice... door rails would need a relay or be connected to an open relay in controller...

https://www.amazon.com/Overhead-Garage-Switch-Contact-Mounted/dp/B01KYGJT4W/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=garage+door+rail+sensor&qid=1593712214&sr=8-2

+ 1 on this solution.  I have mine wired into an Axxis contact sensor.

8 minutes ago, PorterTX said:

MyQ integration into Control4 is not a viable option anymore unfortunately (see previous forum discussion below)  It great on its own but you run into issues if you are wanting to try and tie it to Control4. 

Agreed - Chamberlain are very consumer unfriendly!

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

the tilt sensors are really nice... door rails would need a relay or be connected to an open relay in controller...

https://www.amazon.com/Overhead-Garage-Switch-Contact-Mounted/dp/B01KYGJT4W/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=garage+door+rail+sensor&qid=1593712214&sr=8-2

Mitch - don't you recommend the NYCE tilt sensor?

2 hours ago, nfv123 said:

Any certain brand you know that works well ? Thank you for the help...new to the c4 world and my dealer is not very helpful

The biggest question is can you run wires to the door back to wherever your relays terminate at?

5 minutes ago, therockhr said:

The biggest question is can you run wires to the door back to wherever your relays terminate at?

The garage doors already are hooked up, just doesn't show whether or not they are open are closed.  Does this answer your question, maybe I'm not as handy as I thought ha

18 minutes ago, nfv123 said:

The garage doors already are hooked up, just doesn't show whether or not they are open are closed.  Does this answer your question, maybe I'm not as handy as I thought ha

Correct but to know whether they are opened or closed you will have to put a sensor on each door. You can get either wired or wireless sensors. If you can run wire, it would probably be cheaper since you already have relays connected I assume you have an io extender that you could connect the sensors to. This is the setup I have. 

16 hours ago, Pounce said:

I guess maybe the best question for the OP is ...do you have Z2IO boxes attached to your garage door today or do you know specifically how your garage doors are controlled by C4 physically?

To be honest no I don't know.  Should I reach out to my dealer and ask or is there a way I can find out easily?

6 hours ago, nfv123 said:

To be honest no I don't know.  Should I reach out to my dealer and ask or is there a way I can find out easily?

Its probably best. I'm sure they can check to see how its integrated and then make some good suggestions on how to solve this specific need.

23 hours ago, nfv123 said:

Quick question, what door operators do you have? I went through this same process and realised with a relay box the operator can provide feedback to C4 to tell me of the doors are open or closed. 

On 7/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, J to the D said:

Quick question, what door operators do you have? I went through this same process and realised with a relay box the operator can provide feedback to C4 to tell me of the doors are open or closed. 

They are overheard garage doors

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.