C4 Forums | Control4

Slow T3

Rob21

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Tundra I'm guessing your unifi was never set up correctly for C4. Issues with so many things, commands not getting sent, on wired and wireless really points to network. You mentioned on previous thread only some ppl can access your network due to wife's job, did your C4 installer install the Unifi for you?

No, I did the network along w/ the C4 integrator and tech folks from my wife's work. Integrator is not allowed network admin access. FWIW, I worked for Vint Cerf and helped develop ATM and Frame Relay protocols so am somewhat familiar with networking though old and rusty. 

There should be nothing in the network causing problems. As mentioned before, all of the C4 stuff is on the same Subnet/VLAN/Switch so there s/b no VLAN/Subnet boundary/routing issues. I'm checking through Unifi to see if I can see anything but nothing that I can find. IGMP Snooping is off, multicast on, etc. I emphasized 'should be' because there certainly could be something that I'm not seeing.

Thanks. Any help appreciated!  

21 hours ago, TundraSonic said:

Our T3's are exceptionally slow as well (kind of like being back in the compuserve days of waiting on a modem to connect every time you want to do something). Slowest UI I've used in years. We have two T3's and I believe 33 6-button keypads connected to a central EA-5 via ethernet. Switch is a Unifi Switch Pro 48 that is very lightly loaded. Extremely few experience buttons or other stuff at this point.

I'll post a video of mine tomorrow or the next day if I can. As above, I'd like to see others (both for speed and features).

What software are you on ? 

People always want to point the finger at Unifi.  Its usually not the network unless you have some weird setup or multiple subnets etc.  Logging is your friend.  You need to log traffic and log C4 director activity to see where the hang up is.  Its often a driver handshake or authentication issue.  

• 5 weeks later...

I recently had a new T3 installed in my house and it is much faster than the rest of the t3's in my house. This new T3 replaced a T3 with a screen defect under warrantee. The difference is very obvious and I just wish I could figure out what is causing my other t3's to be so slow. If anyone has an idea of what might be going on please let me know!

I don’t know why I didn’t try this earlier but power-cycling my t3s made them just as fast as the new one that was just installed. Is this normal or is something wrong happening in the background? Again any help is greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Rob21 said:

I recently had a new T3 installed in my house and it is much faster than the rest of the t3's in my house. This new T3 replaced a T3 with a screen defect under warrantee. The difference is very obvious and I just wish I could figure out what is causing my other t3's to be so slow. If anyone has an idea of what might be going on please let me know!

I'd make sure everything is on the same software.  Funky things happen if not and the fact they were installed at different times means that could've been overlooked.  Also, are they all hardwired?  wifi? 

1 hour ago, Rob21 said:

Thank you for the input. They are all on the same software and they are all wired. I don’t know if it’s possible but it seems like something is “draining” the ram over time. 

Do you know the lease time value on the DHCP server by chance? I had an odd issue where a random screen would start getting slow, found that lease time was set to 12 minutes.... been fine since it was set to 3 days.

• 11 months later...

Reviving this thread because I have learned a few things since I last posted. The T3's in my house are still slow.

My entire system is on 3.2.4. I have:

1 Ea5

4 Ea1s

1 Ca1

7 T3's (all wired)

and today I just had 1 T4 installed (wired)

I believe that all of the touch screens are connected directly to the first switch from the router. My router is an Araknis AN-310-RT-4L2W and the first switch from the router is an Araknis AN-‌310-‌SW-‌24-‌POE. I have no obvious issues with my network.

Each T3's IP address is reserved. Power cycling the T3s make them fast again but over time (about a day or two) they slow down again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Rob21 said:

Reviving this thread because I have learned a few things since I last posted. The T3's in my house are still slow.

My entire system is on 3.2.4. I have:

1 Ea5

4 Ea1s

1 Ca1

7 T3's (all wired)

and today I just had 1 T4 installed (wired)

I believe that all of the touch screens are connected directly to the first switch from the router. My router is an Araknis AN-310-RT-4L2W and the first switch from the router is an Araknis AN-‌310-‌SW-‌24-‌POE. I have no obvious issues with my network.

Each T3's IP address is reserved. Power cycling the T3s make them fast again but over time (about a day or two) they slow down again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

CA10 and haven't had any issues with TS speed after like 3.1

13 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

CA10 and haven't had any issues with TS speed after like 3.1

Same.  I think the EAs are great, but the CA10 really does have more oomph to drive navigators.  I've got like 15 T3s, and before the CA10, it took 30 seconds to a minute for a refresh navigators, now it's 5-10 seconds.

RyanE

54 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Same.  I think the EAs are great, but the CA10 really does have more oomph to drive navigators.  I've got like 15 T3s, and before the CA10, it took 30 seconds to a minute for a refresh navigators, now it's 5-10 seconds.

RyanE

Interesting I haven't really thought about the controller possibly being my problem. I attached two video of one of my T3's being slow (sorry about the fingerprints). Do you think a CA10 would fix this? What could explain my T3s becoming fast temporally after power cycling them?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KXmA1EqQ-H7G-VhoeZyaSEPlIQtpF_mg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WTgqi38ur8nzNXiGWf8CPCjKpj4ScNx6/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again to everyone helping

I don't know about the rebooting thing.  It's certainly possible that the navigator slows down after some use, but I've never noticed it before.

That said, since I'm on internal beta, it's possible my T3s get rebooted or at least refreshed more often than some.

Sorry.

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.