C4 Forums | Control4

Landscape lighting and watering

Hey all,

I’m redoing my yard in a few months.  I don’t have any watering or lighting controls so starting fresh.  
what offers the best intg for lighting?  Thinking I’ll need 3-4 zones.   

for watering I’ll probably just go with a Rachio (had one at my last house) and it pretty much just ran itself.  Unless there is one that is better with c4.  

thanks as always for the replies

Rachio works with C4.  For lighting your best case is to use C4 dimmers or switches to control the lights. So you will likely want everything wired back to one central place that is somewhat protected from the elements. I have dimmers for my landscape lighting in my pool cabana. This is unheated and it gets cold here in Toronto in the winter but they have lasted 13 winters without issue.

So you don’t have traditional 12v dc landscape lighting then?

I do have some free spots on my panelized lighting but the only way I could think of using them was to run an outlet for each one to outside but then I would need to have that many transformers also (usually one per zone)

I do have 12V AC landscape lighting (I think landscape lighting stays as AC rather than be converted to DC) but the transformers in my setup must be downstream from the C4 dimmers.  I have 3 zones in the back and one in the front.

my landscape people ran low voltage lighting into a transformer.  that transformer is plugged into a C4 outlet switch (not dimmer) and works great.  For lawn I use Rachio too.  I need it in C4 because its easier for my sprinkler service company to use a T3 by the door to control it vs walking through my entire basement to get to the rachio unit itself (my water stuff is in a far closet on the complete opposite end of the basement) whereas I have a T3 fairly close to the garage door entry.  

By far the BEST landscape lighting integration is the Luxor system by FX Luminaire, you can zone dim and control color with individually addressable fixtures and integration is seamless. If you limit the number of colored fixtures and mix them with non-color ones the cost is also very reasonable.   

https://www.fxl.com/products

5 minutes ago, Gene said:

I have Rachio and it works great with C4.  As for landscape lighting, I have a volt transformer and use their LED bulbs and lighting with a Lutron RadioRA2 switch (https://www.voltlighting.com/). to turn it on at dusk and off at dawn. Simple and reliable.

I was looking into Volt lighting as well. How is the quality?

3 minutes ago, dinom said:

Vista Pro looks to be professional install only - true?  Volt caters to the DIY crowd, but the quality seems to be better than most in that segment. 

You can buy their stuff online and install yourself...  I installed most of mine.  I've had LED bulbs running now 5 years and still running strong.

23 hours ago, eggzlot said:

my landscape people ran low voltage lighting into a transformer.  that transformer is plugged into a C4 outlet switch (not dimmer) and works great.  For lawn I use Rachio too.  I need it in C4 because its easier for my sprinkler service company to use a T3 by the door to control it vs walking through my entire basement to get to the rachio unit itself (my water stuff is in a far closet on the complete opposite end of the basement) whereas I have a T3 fairly close to the garage door entry.  

The beauty of Rachio is your sprinkler service company can access it on their phone. But then again, not all companies figured that out.

13 hours ago, Dave w said:

By far the BEST landscape lighting integration is the Luxor system by FX Luminaire, you can zone dim and control color with individually addressable fixtures and integration is seamless. If you limit the number of colored fixtures and mix them with non-color ones the cost is also very reasonable.   

https://www.fxl.com/products

Definitely.....!!!! But expensive.

However, for us...we went with the really cheap controller and a wemo.....  (no dim, no color needed). we have 2 controllers (one in back, one in front) that's our zones. 

I’ve got the Rachio but haven’t bothered to integrate it with C4...don’t really see the point. The only reason I got the Rachio is I was sick of walking across the yard to the pool equipment where the sprinkler timer is located to turn it off and back on the rare occasion I needed to do so. 

For landscape lighting, I haven’t completed install of that yet as our trees still aren’t planted (we landscaped in 2020). We’ll do all of our trees in a few months, at which point our guy will place the light fixtures on the line he ran and install the control box. I think it’s the FC Luminaire mentioned above, but now I’m going to go double check. I wasn’t planning to integrate it either as the landscaper said he’d just automate it with sun up and sun down, but thought if I wanted to I’d just use a C4 outlet to cut the power to the unit. 

1 minute ago, ILoveC4 said:

I’ve got the Rachio but haven’t bothered to integrate it with C4...don’t really see the point. The only reason I got the Rachio is I was sick of walking across the yard to the pool equipment where the sprinkler timer is located to turn it off and back on the rare occasion I needed to do so. 

For landscape lighting, I haven’t completed install of that yet as our trees still aren’t planted (we landscaped in 2020). We’ll do all of our trees in a few months, at which point our guy will place the light fixtures on the line he ran and install the control box. I think it’s the FC Luminaire mentioned above, but now I’m going to go double check. I wasn’t planning to integrate it either as the landscaper said he’d just automate it with sun up and sun down, but thought if I wanted to I’d just use a C4 outlet to cut the power to the unit. 

I just use a KASA outlet plug for ~$10... Works perfect and complete control from their app or you can buy the C4 driver...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.