C4 Forums | Control4

Media server

daveva

On 2/6/2021 at 4:39 PM, alanchow said:

Thank you Alan - hadn't seen that.  Looks like Plex has released a patch to protect against this threat (v1.21.3.4014 or newer) - link also includes more information about proper security settings.

I will second the Infuse and appletv.  When I first got C4, I was using dune and a apple based program (not mymovies) to organize and scrape metadata.  Once the apple program became obsoleted, I looked for awhile to find another solution (will not do pc anything in my house).

Ended up with Infuse.  Have it set to look at a drive on  my NAS, and now I just have to throw files into that directory and for the most part Infuse scrapes the data correctly and gives you a nice mediawall presentation.  playback on every file type is great.  best part is I got to take two more 'appliances' out of my system. I can now do any media playback with either the blu-ray (for the theater) or using apple TV throughout the house and in the theater.

I know this does not give you c4 integrated thumbnails and pictures, but honestly I have never seen the value of having movies organized into the automation system.. most are played once or twice then maybe once in a blue moon..

I have some questions about the zeppiti player I'm having some problems. Is this ip controllable? If the player is off will it still stay connected to the network? Also I can't get the player to play the movie from the coverart on the iPad .

2 minutes ago, daveva said:

I have some questions about the zeppiti player I'm having some problems. Is this ip controllable? If the player is off will it still stay connected to the network? Also I can't get the player to play the movie from the coverart on the iPad .

Zappiti is IP controllable but only if it is on.  As such our driver will never turn the Zappiti off.  It will just stop the movie and return it back to the home page.

In regards to support for our driver its best to reach out to our helpdesk so we don't flood the forum with support troubleshooting.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/support

If you had a Dune media player then you are a real video person.  Zappiti is pretty good but if you want another media player with very good quality video playback, look at the new Dunes or the Zidoo media player line.  The C4 driver works pretty well too.  I just transitioned off of Dune and Popcorn Hour to Zidoo.  I've also had Oppo, WD media players etc. (Sigma Designs and RealTech Real HW decoders with accurate frame rate and color.  Zidoo also supports Plex, which is where I store my movie catalog.  Zidoo has a pretty good (evolving) Home Theater setup with movie wall etc... like Kalidascape.  I wouldn't trust Kalidascape as they went bankrupt and I don't know where their products are, or development is, now.  Plex works with Roku and Apple TV.  I've got both of those but for True video and surround audio you can't beat a HW decoder.  I believe both Roku and Apple need to transcode audio if it's in Dolby TrueHD or higher than 5.1.  

I don't have a huge collection but Plex running on my desktop works great w roku ultra for me for now most of the time. At times encoding can make me have to lower quality a little bit bit usually. For a free system (ie already have it) it works. Should note desktop was built as a gamping pc by me 4 years ago so still prettt powerful. 

27 minutes ago, Hizzle said:

I wouldn't trust Kalidascape as they went bankrupt and I don't know where their products are, or development is, now.  

Kaleidescape is a solid company with super reliable products. Not only are they the best in movie servers , but they also happen to be the only legal game in town when it comes to storing your content on servers. Although today , physical media is going away, so they have the most content available for download to the strato line. 

13 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

Kaleidescape is a solid company with super reliable products. Not only are they the best in movie servers , but they also happen to be the only legal game in town when it comes to storing your content on servers. Although today , physical media is going away, so they have the most content available for download to the strato line. 

I've developed drivers for so many media players and have tested so many in the past 20 years.

Kaleidescape is still my go to if you can afford it as it provides you with a true cinema experience.  The quality of the videos, the feedback you get allows you to programatically adjust screen masking, projection modes, lighting (eg when the credits roll).

If you can't afford it (or justify it) then Zappiti is my low end choice.  Bang for buck.  Plays every codec you throw at it.

Yeah I'm debating how I'm going to rebuild my server (story on it's own) and then I'll have to decide - do I go NVidia Shield with KODI, hopefully by then with the full C4 driver (been using a cheap android just auto-running KODI for general testing) or if I'll go and try Zappiti.

Will have to dig into Zappiti a bit - ie does it run disc menus (welll), how well can the cover art, genres etc be edited.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Yeah I'm debating how I'm going to rebuild my server (story on it's own) and then I'll have to decide - do I go NVidia Shield with KODI, hopefully by then with the full C4 driver (been using a cheap android just auto-running KODI for general testing) or if I'll go and try Zappiti.

Will have to dig into Zappiti a bit - ie does it run disc menus (welll), how well can the cover art, genres etc be edited.

Yes it does Bluray ISO with disc menus.

Not sure about modifications on cover art, genres, etc.  It just automatically does it.  Though Zappiti did pre-setup the unit before sending it to me so i may have missed the setup procedure.  Best to reach out to them about it.

Also stay tuned.  I have another solution coming up for those who are even more budget concious.

6 hours ago, alanchow said:

Yes it does Bluray ISO with disc menus.

Not sure about modifications on cover art, genres, etc.  It just automatically does it.  Though Zappiti did pre-setup the unit before sending it to me so i may have missed the setup procedure.  Best to reach out to them about it.

Also stay tuned.  I have another solution coming up for those who are even more budget concious.

Nice - I'm not unwilling to spend money - just need something that works personally (for the wife factor) - lot more streaming these days but still have a huge selection of movies that I'd like to access, simple as that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.