C4 Forums | Control4

Home retrofit advice

salum

2 hours ago, AK1 said:

Ah that list would be for those using Orbi, Eero, older Unifi, mesh Wifi, ISP routers and the like. This is the list subtitled "Don't call us when your devices fall offline"

That would be another list and probably no need for that as plenty of dealer/mfg lists out there!  I'm more talking about the 3x the cost networking gear that is sprinkled with endless fairy dust :)

Use Roku Ultras for your video sources. Flawless IP control with C4, direct app access etc. Also half ish  the cost of Apple TV. Apple TVs are only reliable with IR control and lack direct app access etc. Not sure what you mean by the ads on a Roku. I push Netflix/Prime?Hulu etc on my C4 remote and launch directly to those apps, hardly ever see the Roku menu. Don't use built in apps on TVs except in rooms you rarely use .  Video over IP becomes fairly close in cost to matrixes over 8x8. But flexibility and scale are a win. Figure 1k per source and 1k per display at least for Just Add Power Binary Moip etc. Plus the POE switches and network infrastructure. If using C4 for control, use C4 lighting. If this is a new construction use panelized, especially for this large a house. For shades you can use Lutron still with a RA2 select hun as interface, or Qmotion with native Zigbee, or Screen Innovations. Wire for power if you can and control if possible. If you want the TV audio over the distributed system, you will need to bring audio back from the TV if usoing local sources to an audio matrix then to the amps. If all central, video matrix/voip audio extracted to audio matrix. Use Zektor audio matrixes. C4 can integrate with Honeywell, DSC and a few other security panels. Carrier infinity will be separate.

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Why Zektor audio matrix switches?

There stuff is good.  We still mainly sell triad but Zektor has options bigger than 24.x24 so we've sold some Zektor in large projects.  It works well with C4 and does have a few features the Triad matrix doesn't have.  

17 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Why Zektor audio matrix switches?

Indeed, if there are two areas of my Control4 system I want worry-free reliability it is lighting and distributed audio. Relying on third party integrations for these major pieces is not recommended from my perspective.

Thanks guys.  After hearing everyone out here, I think I'm leaning towards control4 lighting.  I've looked into the video matrix and video over IP, including Just Add Power.  I just can't justify paying that much per source and device.  I may look into it in the future.

15 hours ago, AK1 said:

Indeed, if there are two areas of my Control4 system I want worry-free reliability it is lighting and distributed audio. Relying on third party integrations for these major pieces is not recommended from my perspective.

I think there is validity in your statement as long as you never intend on switching away from control4. Plus if you go with something like lutron and integrate to c4 the client pays for twice the programing. The upside is if you choose lutron lighting and zektor audio matrix you have the ability to rip c4 out and switch automation platforms where if you go native for everything you are most likely locked in forever since the cost of switching is prohibitive. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer really but just wanted to play devil's advocate on the advantage side.

If your c4 processor goes down your lighting would still operate and the integration is solid. I like both systems in the end.

5 hours ago, salum said:

Thanks guys.  After hearing everyone out here, I think I'm leaning towards control4 lighting.  I've looked into the video matrix and video over IP, including Just Add Power.  I just can't justify paying that much per source and device.  I may look into it in the future.

We see more and more clients using TV Smart apps in lieu of video distribution with the TV audio optical or RCA being sent back to an audio matrix / amp. Significantly cheaper approach.

9 hours ago, AK1 said:

We see more and more clients using TV Smart apps in lieu of video distribution with the TV audio optical or RCA being sent back to an audio matrix / amp. Significantly cheaper approach.

how are you sending optical back, fiber in the wall?

5 hours ago, AK1 said:

No need for fibre, any Cat5/6 cable with inexpensive audio adapters on each end will pass optical or stereo audio back to your rack.

I figured it was something like that, what do you use for this?  Any suggestions?  

8 hours ago, AK1 said:

No need for fibre, any Cat5/6 cable with inexpensive audio adapters on each end will pass optical or stereo audio back to your rack.

Have you noticed any sound delay in relation to the video?

On 3/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, JSTRONG said:

I prefer Control4 lighting also. However, if someone charged you 35% more for Lutron, then they were very much overcharging you since Lutron Dimmers areabout 20%  less then Control4

Lutron RRD-6CL-WH is $149

Control4 is $180

I got quoted for control4 essential line of dimmers.  Not the decora/ original line.

That's another discussion.  Since essential line is fairly new, how are people doing with their LED bulbs?  I saw the decora have adaptive phase and it mentions LED.  We plan on only having LED lights in our home.

Any thoughts on the decora vs essential?  I don't care for engraving my single switches and dimmers, but keypads would need engraving.

The Essential line of lighting is forward phase dimming only.  They don't work with ALL Led lighting.  You must do your own research for what bulbs to use with these.

Gen3 C4 lighting (more $$) has the adaptive phase dimmer, which can be switched between forward and reverse phase dimming.  This can be done manually or automagically.  These are worth the extra cost because there really is no concern with what bulbs to use, as long as the bulbs are in fact dimmable.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

I figured it was something like that, what do you use for this?  Any suggestions?  

There are numerous adatptor kits to transfer RCA or optical audio over Cat5/6. Many on Amazon.

3 hours ago, salum said:

I got quoted for control4 essential line of dimmers.  Not the decora/ original line.

That's another discussion.  Since essential line is fairly new, how are people doing with their LED bulbs?  I saw the decora have adaptive phase and it mentions LED.  We plan on only having LED lights in our home.

Any thoughts on the decora vs essential?  I don't care for engraving my single switches and dimmers, but keypads would need engraving.

I would order a small number of Essential dimmers say 5 of them and test them on your lighting fixtures. 

Just recognize if later you change the fixtures, you may have to change the dimmers also.   For this reason, I would just go with the Adaptive Phase and be done with it but all preference.   Plus we are talking about a 12,000 sq ft home with tons of TVs, equipment etc and why are we having a conversation about the essential line of dimmers???   If this guy doesnt have the budget for C4 standard line, plus some dealer assistance, who does :)

4 hours ago, salum said:

Also, I was quoted about $79 a dimmer, so about $5 off MSRP.  Not sure if thats great.

Dealer agreement does not permit selling below MSRP, unless you are eligible for existing customer 15% upgrade discount program

6 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Just recognize if later you change the fixtures, you may have to change the dimmers also.   For this reason, I would just go with the Adaptive Phase and be done with it but all preference.   Plus we are talking about a 12,000 sq ft home with tons of TVs, equipment etc and why are we having a conversation about the essential line of dimmers???   If this guy doesnt have the budget for C4 standard line, plus some dealer assistance, who does :)

Essential line was what I was quoted by one of the dealers.   I came from humble beginnings, so its in my nature to be price conscious 🙂.  I also tend to over-research into what I'm buying and not necessarily take the dealer's word.  But I do respect that dealers are a business and need to make money.

6 hours ago, salum said:

Essential line was what I was quoted by one of the dealers.   I came from humble beginnings, so its in my nature to be price conscious 🙂.  I also tend to over-research into what I'm buying and not necessarily take the dealer's word.  But I do respect that dealers are a business and need to make money.

No worries.   Just a very strange product line for a dealer to offer/lead with for a home like yours.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.