C4 Forums | Control4

Flashing Ceiling Lights

Olichops

So I have an annoying issue with only my master bedroom ceiling cans that are controlled by 2 light switches and lumped under one group so they act as a joined pair.  With the lights off, when I lose power to the house and power comes back on the damn lights flash briefly and turn off.  No Bueno when sleeping! What causes this?

I had the same issue and ultimately put all bedroom lights on to UPS circuits to avoid the problem!

3 hours ago, RAV said:

Hypothesis: Probably no neutral at the dimmer and power stealing allows for a brief flow when power returns.

this was definitely not the issue in my case as there was a neutral at the dimmer.

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Sounds like if they are sleeping the last power state is off so shouldn't turn on when power comes back. 

Agreed… my dealer (who may be wrong) told me years ago that this is a problem with the dimmer keypads that a small amount of power slips through while the keypad decides whether it should be off or on and that we won’t see the same problem on a circuit with a switch which creates a proper (air blocked) on/off setting.  I may have my terminology wrong but I have seen this at both my houses when power cuts and when zigbee updates… battery back up has sorted the power cut problem for me.

• 10 months later...

I also believe it will be the booting where the processing is neither on nor off or doing a hardware test on boot , so during the decision making it flashes. I had the same issues as in South Africa we have load shedding so almost a daily occurrence. Either way I highly doubt a code will overcome a hardware flaw.

• 3 weeks later...

Blinking Issue is now fixed!!!  The Lithonia LED can lights that are on dimmers must be set to a fixed phase mode under "dimmer mode" Don't use the auto detect selection. Mine was set to reverse phase auto detected and  I set it to forward phase. No more blinking upon restoring power to a switch! Not all LEDs have this issues as other brands work fine in auto detect. Hope this helps out other with the issue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.