C4 Forums | Control4

Cutting the cord

Jakelay

I have used YTTV for well over a year and it functions just fine with the SR260.  I am using the Roku Platform so I cannot respond with the Apple TV question but I have had zero issues.  I cancelled Directv as well and found no big loss from that move.  I rarely ever watch live TV as most is recorded or streamed anyway.  

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

but wife didn’t like it

Yup.

I didn't 'cut' it, but I blocked it to try and use streaming options several times to no true success.

I would be 'OK' with it, but can't deny that I'd still prefer the FUNCTION of a 'true' cable/sat box.

But that's personal preference.

My other issue is that I'm not so sure I'd truly save all that much money by the time I'm done adding any streaming options I'd need to get what I want.

Until there's just going to be streaming services that simply offer it 'all' I'm not convinced I'll ever cut the cord - and when we have that, we've essentially just created 'online cable companies' and I doubt we'd be financially better off anyway. 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I would be 'OK' with it, but can't deny that I'd still prefer the FUNCTION of a 'true' cable/sat box.

🤷‍♂️

Nothing compares to the function/feel of that real box!!!

However, I am saving a bit since we don't need to pay for all those boxes. I would have moved to FIOS TV with the streaming, but still way more expensive.

In South Africa, our main cable provider has a streaming app (which covers all channels on the box plus more) so we can access it on Apple TV but I still go through the hassle of swapping the service between our holiday home boxes and our main home boxes every time we switch houses simply because my wife prefers watch / DSTV / choose a channel number to watch / Apple TV / choose DSTV / navigate to the relevant channel…

Just now, South Africa C4 user said:

In South Africa, our main cable provider has a streaming app (which covers all channels on the box plus more) so we can access it on Apple TV but I still go through the hassle of swapping the service between our holiday home boxes and our main home boxes every time we switch houses simply because my wife prefers watch / DSTV / choose a channel number to watch / Apple TV / choose DSTV / navigate to the relevant channel…

And the App has a much better UI than the box…

Thanks for all of the feedback! I may not have a choice but to switch (no satellite dishes at the new place - it’s legally possible to fight but I don’t want to) so I’m thinking about Xfinity with extra boxes and extra charges or just going with streaming. I don’t like the lack of direct channel access either but we barely watch TV anyway, we mostly stream everything so why not give this a try? We might see how it works for a month or so and see how we like it. No free trial any longer but at least there is no contract.

Thanks again - other thoughts welcome!

14 hours ago, Jakelay said:

Thanks for all of the feedback! I may not have a choice but to switch (no satellite dishes at the new place - it’s legally possible to fight but I don’t want to) so I’m thinking about Xfinity with extra boxes and extra charges or just going with streaming. I don’t like the lack of direct channel access either but we barely watch TV anyway, we mostly stream everything so why not give this a try? We might see how it works for a month or so and see how we like it. No free trial any longer but at least there is no contract.

Thanks again - other thoughts welcome!

We cut Xfinity Tv last year and replaced with Hulu/Disney+/ESPN bundle via 4K AppleTVs behind each TV and have been pleased.

We kept the Xfinity internet and upgraded to the highest data plan.

The direct connection to each appletv and direct Ethernet connections are great. Dropping the Xfinity boxes saves $$ and hassle from having all the Xfinity boxes in the rack and relying on distributed video.

The standard c4 remote is OK. Being able to use the TVs remote itself opens up voice search which is nice. 

I’d suggest try the streaming option first before trying the Xfinity boxes option. 

We cut Dish Network in favor of YouTube TV. My family hasn’t complained at all. We also have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle and Netflix. I sometimes wonder if we need YouTube TV…we do watch sports on it, and shows like Survivor, but I think those could probably all be watched on the respective networks apps. Who knows. We like it. 

We had both Roku and Apple TV (2 of each in our distributed video setup) and just replaced the Apple TV’s with more Rokus. Kept having issues with the Apple TV driver not controlling the Apple TV. 

We do have local ATVs at a few TVs and 2 in the rack on the matrix so we can watch in rooms where we don’t need the ‘local’ quality (aka small bathroom &  kitchen TVs) and as a backup. Using IR for all ATV control now and it’s fine. Had too many bugs with the C4 IP connection and don’t have to worry about upgrades.

We have a bunch of streaming services and probably don’t need YTTV either but it’s hard to give up some of the channels live so we’ll probably stick with some form of live TV with DVR. YTTV has the channels we watch vs DIRECTV and I like the DVR option for those shows we don’t get on streaming.

Definitely keeping Xfinity 1gb service. Not that we really need that much fire power with only two of us but it’s not that much more expensive so why not . . .

Does anyone know if you sign up for movie packages, do you also get streaming access (example, we can stream Showtime shows like Dexter early on Sundays using our DIRECTV sign in on the app). I’m guessing HBO Max is set up that way but wondering about the others.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, etc!!

DirectTV raised rates two times in last year after 20 years of service so it didnt make sense any more.

We tested YouTubeTV for 3 months before removing all our DirectTV boxes, and it works great for us. Plus my a/v rack is cleaner without the DTV boxes and cables.

Took awhile to get used to the SR260 controls for YTTV so remmber the Up/down and Back buttons are your friends. You can also edit the order of channels so the most used are at the top of the channel menu and you can delete channels not being used.

Also have AppleTV boxes so we are using the same menu on all TVs to access other streaming services.

Upgraded to 1gb Xfinity internet and upgraded to Araknis router so there is no speed/connection issues.

Favorite feature is we now have YTTV on the in-wall Ipad Minis we installed. Yes it takes a couple clicks to start the C4 app but we use several other OS apps often.

YTTV, left cable and I was a Charter Tivo user. No regrets other than the channel infighting BS that happens occasionally.

Great thing about YTTV, the custom guide. Your channels in your order.
All the networks together, than sports, than movies, than ehh channels. Make it to the news at the bottom, then it's time to go read a book.
Can't say I miss the numbers with that (and you can easily flip to all channels)

Also the great DVR. We seldom watch live other than sports.
And if you decide to add a show to the DVR, odds are it'll add all episodes for immediate access.
Watch it on the tablet, to go, flexible.

Agree, cost savings isn't as much as it used to be. But the added flexibility, no cable boxes, makes it worth it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.