C4 Forums | Control4

Network Connectivity Issues with NEEO Remtoe

56 minutes ago, RyanE said:

For starters, the Neeo uses a completely different Wifi chipset than your phone, a completely different OS, a completely different Wifi antenna setup, etc.

You're literally asking why apples are not oranges.

Certain network setups work very well with the Neeo, and don't experience issues.  Others, not so much, unfortunately.  

I'm sorry you're having issues with your Neeo, but network performance is dependent on a lot of things, most of which are different between your Neeo and any other Wifi hardware.

RyanE

The stance that you should have to “redesign” your network for a tv handheld to work is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

The stance that you should have to “redesign” your network for a tv handheld to work is ridiculous. 

Precisely. Deploying a NEEO (or any other handheld remote) should be like installing the C4 app on the iPhone. It should work reliably upon deployment without having to use WireShark to perform packet tracing, modify the processor programming, fiddle with obscure network settings, and/or replace network infrastructure - choosing from a short and select list of high end but less common network hardware. We are discussing a handheld TV remote, not a lunar landing module controller.

1 hour ago, PumpUpVolume said:

Precisely. Deploying a NEEO (or any other handheld remote) should be like installing the C4 app on the iPhone. It should work reliably upon deployment without having to use WireShark to perform packet tracing, modify the processor programming, fiddle with obscure network settings, and/or replace network infrastructure - choosing from a short and select list of high end but less common network hardware. We are discussing a handheld TV remote, not a lunar landing module controller.

Correct

Precisely - the problem is unique to the relationship between the NEEO and the network. Thank you for making my point. My question was entirely sarcastic - the difference is the point. The network works fine for 20 devices and the NEEO is a train wreck. I'm hoping that the Halo Touch has a much better WiFi chip than the NEEO and that is the end of my issues.
Oh, and it isn't a setup/configuration issue - I've tried every possible configuration change. It may be hardware incompatibility... or it may be a C4 programming issue... but, my dealer has sold a total of one NEEO and I think it is entirely possible that there is a programming issue. But, both the dealer and C4 support have blamed the customer network without any analysis or troubleshooting.
I won't really know until I can get a Halo Touch. When get I get my pre-order for the Halo Touch placed? I can't seem to get an answer to that question.

Unfortunately the Neeo is a product that seems to have serious Wi-Fi problems, particularly in mixed 2.4 ghz/5ghz environments. I have the same issues you do but I got a Halo and it doesn’t have the same problems. I think that the addition of 5ghz comparability really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

Well, a few weeks ago you were claiming everyone using Control4 was having issues. You got fact checked on that big time when I pointed out over the entire week, at least on our side, we had barely any tickets. 

Now you're claiming NEEO's don't work at all? At best, a handful of people have actual issues, and for most of them it's literally a 1-2s wait. In this particular case, OP is using netgear. Enough said...

Several people using other brands of network equipment, including the latest Ubiquiti hardware are having the same issues as me - as documented in this thread. I understand it is a fraction of the deployed user base for the NEEO that is having these issues, but it is a major issue - a complete lockup requiring a reboot to recover functionality, not a slight response delay - for those of us experiencing it.

Frankly, if C4 products can't work with Netgear hardware as a rule then it is C4 that needs to improve its products. Whether you are a Netgear fanboy or not (i'm brand agnostic - it was simply a good choice at the time of purchase), Netgear is one of the World's leading manufacturers of such equipment with a massive install base, including residential, schools, hospitals, hotels, and small businesses. Netgear isn't some weird knockoff brand that popped up on Amazon. I will likely switch brands when I upgrade to WiFi 7 (because of specific design features and system offerings), but Netgear has served me very well over the past decade. I have no regrets with choosing Netgear. I've received excellent support from Nethgear and had very issues. My ProSafe hardware came with LIFETIME warranty - not that I've needed it. And, most of the issues I've had were eventually traced back to another piece of hardware - conclusively... with a lot of effort. E.g. I had a Sony TV that had issues and the investigation precipitated a major produce fix campaign at Sony (I worked with their engineers to isolate the true root cause). Of course, in the Sony case, everyone originally blamed the network, but eventually even the Sony engineers accepted the data - the problem was 100% an issue with the power save mode on the WiFi circuit in the TV. Once a tweak was made on the TV side, all the problems immediately vanished.

And note, I'm giving credit where credit is due - control over WiFi using an iPhone (and Netgear) works flawlessly in my experience. 

I've placed an order for a Halo Touch. I'll update when that is deployed and tested.

I've had an "interesting" development with my NEEO. The custom buttons have disappeared from my NEEO. The regular Watch and Listen buttons remain, but the custom ones simply vanished. The custom buttons remain visible and usable in the iPhone C4 App. I consulted my C4 dealer about this issue and the dealer advised me that they don't know why the custom buttons disappeared and there is nothing they can do.

Will someone be so bold as to blame the disappearing buttons on my Netgear ProSafe access point?

The on-order Halo Touch can't come soon enough.

Has anyone else experienced the disappearing custom button issue? I have no idea what triggered the issue. The custom buttons have been present for 1-1/2 years and then, one day last week, POOF, they were gone. And, yes, I've rebooted/restarted the NEEO a few times and that didn't bring the custom buttons back.

10 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Are you blocking stuff on your firewall? Thats what that generally means 

No. There is no firewall between the NEEO and the EA3 Processor. The only firewall in my network is the default firewall in the ISP provided router, which sits between LAN and WAN. Communications between the NEEO and the EA3 don't even pass through the router, they are "routed" by a switch. Neither the WiFi access point nor the switch have any firewall configured. Furthermore, there were zero network changes between when the buttons were on the remote and when they disappeared.

7 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Reboot the remote 

In my first post about the disappearing buttons issue, I noted that I have rebooted the remote a few times since the custom buttons disappeared and the custom buttons remain missing after rebooting. I tried both a restart (instead of power down) and then, when that didn't restore the custom buttons, I also powered down the remote and powered it back up and neither approach brought back the custom buttons. The C4 dealer also confirmed the custom buttons are still in the program (of course they are - they appear in the iPhone App) and triggered a Navigator refresh and that also did not restore the missing buttons.

11 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Note that I believe there are no custom buttons on the Halo Touch, so that won’t solve your problem.

I'm not referring to the custom buttons that are part of the NEEO program; I am referring to buttons defined in the EA3 code. The buttons I am referencing are icons just like the Watch and Listen icon buttons. I'm not referring to the colour bar buttons that you can access via swiping left/right.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, PumpUpVolume said:

I've had an "interesting" development with my NEEO. The custom buttons have disappeared from my NEEO. The regular Watch and Listen buttons remain, but the custom ones simply vanished. The custom buttons remain visible and usable in the iPhone C4 App. I consulted my C4 dealer about this issue and the dealer advised me that they don't know why the custom buttons disappeared and there is nothing they can do.

Will someone be so bold as to blame the disappearing buttons on my Netgear ProSafe access point?

The on-order Halo Touch can't come soon enough.

Has anyone else experienced the disappearing custom button issue? I have no idea what triggered the issue. The custom buttons have been present for 1-1/2 years and then, one day last week, POOF, they were gone. And, yes, I've rebooted/restarted the NEEO a few times and that didn't bring the custom buttons back.

I was able to resolve the missing button issue by rebooting the EA3 processor. Not sure why that worked, but it did.

I was able to resolve the missing button issue by rebooting the EA3 processor. Not sure why that worked, but it did.

Just like PCs, I have found that the majority of weird anomalies with the C4 can be fixed with rebooting the controller. Glad you fixed the problem!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.