C4 Forums | Control4

Programming For Snow Melt

ajd123

I have snow melt cables in my eavestroughs & downspouts.  They are connected to an outlet that is controlled by a C4 light switch.  

Right now the switch is left on all winter which is kind of wasteful.

Does anyone have an creative ways to program this so it turns on based on exterior temperature and weather conditions?

I do something very similar with our satellite internet dish (for backup Internet).  It has a dish heater on it that heats the dish to melt snow off.  The dish heater is plugged into a controlled outlet.  Then I use the Open Weather driver to program off the "current snow" variable to start a 2 hour "dish heater" timer so it says on for a bit to fully melt everything and doesn't cycle too much every time the snowfall level fluctuates.  So programming off "current snow" variable in Open Weather I programmed this:

If OpenWeather -> CURRENT_SNOW GREATER THAN 0

If Timer "Dish Heater Heating" is not running

->Start Timer "Dish Heater Heating"

Then the "Dish Heater Heating" timer is just a 2 hour timer and programed to turn on the "Dish Heater" outlet when the timer starts, and when the timer expires it turns the outlet off.

For your use case maybe you'd want to play with the length of the timer and things but this might be a good starting point for you.  Hope this is helpful - good luck!

Would be interested in what product you're using for the gutter/downspout heaters - I haven't heard of those but could see the value so will have to look into that.

3 hours ago, ajd123 said:

I have snow melt cables in my eavestroughs & downspouts.  They are connected to an outlet that is controlled by a C4 light switch.  

Right now the switch is left on all winter which is kind of wasteful.

Does anyone have an creative ways to program this so it turns on based on exterior temperature and weather conditions?

Whatever you do, I'd recommend coming up with something to automate/control better. I have heat cables as well and initially thought it was a great idea to have a thermostat controlled switch and, being a newbie to the mountains, I didn't realize it just stays cold where I live all the time during the winter and the heat cables ran basically all winter. After running through my electric bills, I bypassed the thermostat control and just put the heat cables on a manual controlled C4 switch that I have setup on a 4 hour run-timer that I turn on when it snows. My electric bill during the winter months is now half what it was. Those things draw a lot of power. 

I've thought about programming it against the weather app as well, but I've found that where I live the weather apps are generally not very representative of my actual weather--a few miles each way makes a big difference in the mountains. Just something to consider depending on where you live. 

3 hours ago, rea said:

Whatever you do, I'd recommend coming up with something to automate/control better. I have heat cables as well and initially thought it was a great idea to have a thermostat controlled switch and, being a newbie to the mountains, I didn't realize it just stays cold where I live all the time during the winter and the heat cables ran basically all winter. After running through my electric bills, I bypassed the thermostat control and just put the heat cables on a manual controlled C4 switch that I have setup on a 4 hour run-timer that I turn on when it snows. My electric bill during the winter months is now half what it was. Those things draw a lot of power. 

I've thought about programming it against the weather app as well, but I've found that where I live the weather apps are generally not very representative of my actual weather--a few miles each way makes a big difference in the mountains. Just something to consider depending on where you live. 

Agree on this - also it depends on what you need to heat.  For certain things, if there is snow already down or ice, it is too late and it wont melt quickly.  So really you need to use a weather driver that has some advance properties to try and look forward to turn on the heating element 2-3 hours in advance so it can warm up.  

for me, I think there was a moisture setting in the driver or % of precip ir something, so if the % of precip was over maybe 70% and the temp was below 35 degrees I think I switched it on.

End of day, I just have wake up driver or agent or whatever set up, so I can turn it on whenever and when the agent timer goes off, the switch for the heating element goes off.  So it is kinda manual but kinda automated.  

5 hours ago, rea said:

Maybe consider a system like this for more reliability / accuracy?

https://www.networketi.com/snow-and-ice-melting-systems-control-pd-pro/

https://www.networketi.com/eti-snow-owl/

https://www.networketi.com/git-1-gutter-ice-sensor/

21 hours ago, ajd123 said:

This one?

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/internet-weather-forecast-control4-driver-chowmain/

Do you know if this can provide weather data for Ontario, Canada?

The Chowmain agent pulls data from https://openweathermap.org.  You can go to this site and then also read the Chowmain agent documentation and get pretty good detail on what is available. You can also use the organization’s web page to do simple transactions for your location to get a feel for data propagation times (I.e. how long it takes between real-time data capture and transactional data ready for agent consumption/utilization by your C4 system).

• 2 weeks later...

I have heated mats on my porch/walk. I use open weather free driver. 

If temp < 34 and precipitation > 0 start timer. 
Timer runs for 24 hrs (maybe more than necessary) and then
When timer expires "If temp < 34 and precipitation > 0 restart timer" else turn off outlet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.