C4 Forums | Control4

Trouble - need opinions

Guys,

I have a fairly large C4 system. Consists of C4 lighting control, motorized blinds, 12+ TVs, 32 zones of audio, Josh AI, etc. 

I have all Araknis networking gear consisting of (1) 48 port switch and (3) 24 port switches. My router is an Araknis 310. 

I have had trouble with the system from the start. That said it works fairly well, but there are times when it seems to get bogged down and nothing works for a period of time. It always seems to come out if it, but it’s very annoying. It happened today while entertaining. Everything stopped working or was working very very slow. When this happens you go to touch screen and it just says “connecting”. When you go to app, it just tries to connect to the system. The music also stops, etc. I was angry today so I unplugged the Araknis 310 router and plugged back in. Then went and played some music, I got connected via the app and music seemed to start playing again but was stuttering for a short period but then played fine after about five minutes. Then tonight I come to watch TV and again the Roku menu is very slow on the SR-260 remote. I have to hit a button 2-3 times to get it to execute. Super frustrating. 

My local installer doesn’t really know what the issue is. They have tried to troubleshoot. When this system was installed they recommended the Eero APs so I went with those. I don’t know if that is issue, because of it was the issue then the touchscreens should still work because they  are hardwired. They also recommended to fix the issue I go to a CA-10, which I did but it still happens from time to time. They even removed all the Dahua cameras from the system to see if it bogs less. I know have to view those on a separate app. 

Im wondering if it isn’t the Araknis router? I don’t know. We have 500mbps service but really never get above about 250mbps. Most of time it’s much less. 

I'm looking for some opinions on the issue and some solutions. If you all think it’s a great possibility that it’s the router, what would you recommend for a super robust and fast router that mounts in a rack?

please help 

How are the switches laid out? Are they 110 switches? 210 or 310? Should have all managed switches in that system, preferably 310 series. POE budget? Are the eeros doing mesh or are they hardwired? Unless there is no wire for it, I would have used hardwired access points. And as Mgreen said, if the zigbee is wacky, you'll have problems. 

On 6/4/2023 at 5:01 PM, rf9000 said:

I don’t know if that is issue, because of it was the issue then the touchscreens should still work because they  are hardwired.

Noting that I'm in no way saying they are the issue, I do want to point out that wifi APs can most assuredly create any number of issues on the hardwired network - that's doubly so if they are a mesh wifi device (and note that if they are devices that are by default able to mesh, even if hardwired, they can cause issues at times) - only 'meshable' APs that have the ability to turn off meshing  - preferably need to have it manually turned on in the first place - should ever be used).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.