C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa "The device is not responding"

I usually get a long delay and then Alexa saying, "The device is not responding." When this happens, there is a chance that Control4 will respond. I've run discovery and checked the customer.control4.com portal, etc.

Just not very consistent and wondering why?

All my other Alexa skills are running full speed. This only seems to be a Control4 issue.

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

I usually get a long delay and then Alexa saying, "The device is not responding." When this happens, there is a chance that Control4 will respond. I've run discovery and checked the customer.control4.com portal, etc.

Just not very consistent and wondering why?

All my other Alexa skills are running full speed. This only seems to be a Control4 issue.

I have almost the same experience. Half the time, I have a fairly lengthy delay followed by "The device is not responding". However, absolutely every time this is said, the expected Control4 action happens (e.g. The lights come on).

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

What controller do you have for director. what software version?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

HC-250, 2.90

Even when it does work correctly, it is pretty slow. I'm comparing it to Echo >> Wink Hub >> Lights where the lights turn on before she is done saying "Okay." But Echo >> Control4 results in a long delay to process and then when she says Okay (if she does) nothing happens for a few more seconds.

HC-250, 2.90

Even when it does work correctly, it is pretty slow. I'm comparing it to Echo >> Wink Hub >> Lights where the lights turn on before she is done saying "Okay." But Echo >> Control4 results in a long delay to process and then when she says Okay (if she does) nothing happens for a few more seconds.

Do you know how utilized your director is to?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Do you know how utilized your director is to?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. The HC-250 runs 1 light switch and the home theater, and the Wink hub driver -- but only one of its light switches has been added to C4.

I was just about to post the same question as this is quite annoying especially when trying to walk out the door.  "Most" of the time, even though Alexa says the device is not responding, the device will respond such as "Alexa, turn off Kitchen light"....."The device is not responding"... light turns off..... after a  delay.

But I do agree, the C4 integration should be a faster as I'm finding myself waiting for the command to be executed before not leaving the house or leaving the room, etc...

It is definitely a C4 issue. Watching @chopedogg88's videos, he gets almost instant responses. I don't have his driver, I have the free "$99/year" driver from C4 and it is both very unreliable and very slow. Sure wasn't worth another year of 4sight -- at least not yet. I get the same speed as chopedogg88 with Alexa control of my Wink hub connected devices, so I know it isn't my network or Internet.

Sad to say I'm experiencing the same.  Running a HC800 on 2.8.2.  Its been like this for a few days now.  I'm going to switch over to the Epic System's driver and see how that works but for the moment, the C4 skill is not reliable enough to put into full use.

This morning, Alexa discovered Volume in my 3 zones and all Control4 voice scenes showed up Online. Finally I can adjust the volume.

I'm getting normal response times for turning off voice scenes. About 2-5 seconds.

I'm getting the same erratic responses to turning voice scenes on. Alexa, turn on ESPN has 3 results: 5 second of blue disco lights, followed by "ok" or "Sorry, the device is not responding", followed by ESPN turning on. Overall, though, it is working noticeably better. Seems like ESPN or DVR get slower responses than "Sports" or "Weather Channel." I also find it best to avoid the word "Mix" in a scene name altogether.

On a somewhat separate note, my wife noticed that we have to speak up more when addressing both the Echo and Echo Dot. My Echo Dot is right in front of me on my desk and I put it there because I could practically whisper to her and not disturb the house. I speak loudly to begin with, but now I have to really speak up to get a response. I wonder if they've changed this because of bad guys yelling at Alexa to unlock the front door?

24 minutes ago, Elvis said:

This morning, Alexa discovered Volume in my 3 zones and all Control4 voice scenes showed up Online. Finally I can adjust the volume.

I'm getting normal response times for turning off voice scenes. About 2-5 seconds.

I'm getting the same erratic responses to turning voice scenes on. Alexa, turn on ESPN has 3 results: 5 second of blue disco lights, followed by "ok" or "Sorry, the device is not responding", followed by ESPN turning on. Overall, though, it is working noticeably better. Seems like ESPN or DVR get slower responses than "Sports" or "Weather Channel." I also find it best to avoid the word "Mix" in a scene name altogether.

On a somewhat separate note, my wife noticed that we have to speak up more when addressing both the Echo and Echo Dot. My Echo Dot is right in front of me on my desk and I put it there because I could practically whisper to her and not disturb the house. I speak loudly to begin with, but now I have to really speak up to get a response. I wonder if they've changed this because of bad guys yelling at Alexa to unlock the front door?

You are lucky! I went dark a day or so ago and can't find the light switch!

6 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

In terms of Alexa, I can no longer get her to Discover any of the Control4 devices... Even if I change some of the device names / enabled devices in my Control4 and rerun discovery, Alexa tells me she discovers no devices...

Very frustrating :-( 

Wow reading this thread is not very good....

I've been programming and testing for about 3 hours now.

In my case, things are getting noticeably better. Patience is really required. It takes time to go from Composer > Controller > Control4 Cloud > Control4 Alexa Skills > Alexa Discovery.

• Discovery Channel must be The Discovery Channel, otherwise she'll run discovery every time.
  • The Weather Channel won't work, try TWC
  • Avoid the trailing word "Mix" (DirecTV has mix channels. I use the word Grid instead)
  • Avoid starting with a word that could be considered a music genre.
  • If the Voice Scene doesn't show up on alexa.amazon.com then wait, re-discover, and try again.

There's a HUGE risk of name confusion. You can create a voice scene name and, apparently, change the Alexa recognition word on the Control4 Alexa skills page. Then you can have on the Alexa page group names. If you have another HA hub or device Alexa recognizes, the risk gets even greater. I can't begin to imagine what is going to be like with multiple TVs that one might want to control with multiple Echoes. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.