C4 Forums | Control4

As I've seen some questions concerning this I figured I'd give a bit of info.

As of 2.10 Spotify Connect is available in Control4.

Please note that if your system is running on an HC250 as the main controller it will NOT be able to do Spotify Connect.

At this point in time please note that you CANNOT control volume from within Spotify - you have to use Control4.

You have the ability to create 20 presets from playlists to trigger in programming, plus the 'normal' spotify connect option.

This is driver based, and you can have multiple drivers in a single system, and they'll show up as separate connect locations.

This allows you to have multiple different streams at the same time, but also allows you to use it as triggers similar to Shairbridge.

The driver allows for auto room on setups similar to Shairbridge.

So as an example you can have a Spotify driver named 'Connect Living' and program that to turn on the living automatically, plus additional rooms as well, and then add one called 'whole house' and have it automatically switch all audio zones to that connect stream.

I'm unsure on the max number of drivers you can add at this point, but I imagine there is a cap, just like there is for Shairbridge (forgot the amount but it's over 10 I think).

Note that if you set up that 'living' option, you can still join multiple rooms to that 'living' stream via C4 should you want to.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I'm unsure on the max number of drivers you can add at this point, but I imagine there is a cap, just like there is for Shairbridge (forgot the amount but it's over 10 I think).

There is currently a limit of 10 Spotify drivers per project, but that is being worked on.

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

At this point in time please note that you CANNOT control volume from within Spotify - you have to use Control4.

Thanks CY... is this volume thing something that is fixable you think with later software upgrades?

I mean without a fix it's going to be kinda annoying having to flip in and out of apps.... I mean that is the whole point of Spotify Connect- you stay within Spotify.. just sayin.. :) 

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

As I've seen some questions concerning this I figured I'd give a bit of info.

As of 2.10 Spotify Connect is available in Control4.

You have the ability to create 20 presets from playlists to trigger in programming, plus the 'normal' spotify connect option.

This is driver based, and you can have multiple drivers in a single system, and they'll show up as separate connect locations.

This allows you to have multiple different streams at the same time, but also allows you to use it as triggers similar to Shairbridge.

The driver allows for auto room on setups similar to Shairbridge.

So as an example you can have a Spotify driver named 'Connect Living' and program that to turn on the living automatically, plus additional rooms as well, and then add one called 'whole house' and have it automatically switch all audio zones to that connect stream.

Note that if you set up that 'living' option, you can still join multiple rooms to that 'living' stream via C4 should you want to.

This is awesome how they have done this.. Thanks for the write up :) 

I don't use Spotify at all so don't know really how it is/works but I don't see the issues here.

Play your stations during one setting and save each one as a preset.  Then the controller uses that info to stream without the phone/tablet ever again.  Can also then be used for programming as well.

Yes maybe the initial setup will suck but it gives you more flexibility this way, especially if you're trying to stay within the one app, C4 eco system.

34 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I don't use Spotify at all so don't know really how it is/works but I don't see the issues here.

Play your stations during one setting and save each one as a preset.  Then the controller uses that info to stream without the phone/tablet ever again.  Can also then be used for programming as well.

Yes maybe the initial setup will suck but it gives you more flexibility this way, especially if you're trying to stay within the one app, C4 eco system.

Sure, Um but the who idea is to stay within the Spotify app...

We have been there done that with Sonos... swapping in/out of apps...Control4 then had it "all sorted" once and everything reached Nirvana as we lived in the Control4 app with music, then Sonos screwed it all up... 

That is stay within the Spotify App for music of course

What I am saying is Control4 has to ditch the idea of forever trying to compete with Music service apps... 

Two reasons IMHO

1/ their TS's never keep up with the latest iphone/smart phone interfaces...the speeds and smarts etc of those....

2/ They will never be able to keep up with the app and software  innovation within each service IMHO...

so just let the services do it, by all means have additional control and apps that bring music into the Control4 eco system and onto the Control4 touchscreen but always give the end user the option of using either.. :) 

38 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Play your stations during one setting and save each one as a preset.  .....

Actually you make a good point here..  thinking about this again it aint too bad using the end sources volume... if that is set "fixed initially" it's going to stop blowing speakers... one of the Spotify apps problems I've noticed is it sometimes opens full volume when you "connect".. folks need to watch that!  

I am completely OK with fixed volume. There are too many variables that I can think of in my own system if I started adding additional zones to the original one that would complicate what the Spotify app volume is actually controlling.

It did not even cross my mind till I read it here.

1 hour ago, wappinghigh said:

Thanks CY... is this volume thing something that is fixable you think with later software upgrades?

I mean without a fix it's going to be kinda annoying having to flip in and out of apps.... I mean that is the whole point of Spotify Connect- you stay within Spotify.. just sayin.. :) 

As Thawes more or less said as wellm there's a LOT of possible variables to take into account. Unlike airplay where the actual stream volume is controlled (or ignored) in the case of Spotify, it is intended to control the end device's volume. Not a major issue on a single point devices where the stream has only one place to go (even streaming to multiple Connect points still means each actual stream only has one single possible path, including Sonos) - within C4 or other more complex setups this may well be a huge undertaking due to all the possible variables.

I do not know if it's even possible to extract the command being sent out by the Spotify app. I've heard it said that it's 'just' a UpnP command, but I've hear quite the opposite as well in that it's a function buried in the Connect base system/plugin.

I do not claim to know the truth of of that last part at all, but the simple fact that it could go either way or anywhere in between indicates that getting volume control may be at best a while in coming, if it comes at all.

Like I said elsewhere, at this point I would not view the Spotify Connect integration as a way to lose an app (though it is certainly a way to lose some hardware), but as a way to be more efficient in using Spotify (as opposed to use Airplay as well), a way to not have to stream from your phone all the time (as it hands off the actual stream handling) and as a way to get Spotify without added hartdware and/or via Android based phones (vs being limited to airplay or use Sonos or Chrome Casts)

Does this work for Spotify family accounts? So I can play 1 stream from my account and my wife can stream from here at the same time? To different instances/rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the only instance where you can have multiple streams going without having multiple accounts - the family account. You would need a separate driver for each stream

This is a big step forward for Spotify users. But I think they missed an opportunity. Spotify Connect needs to be implemented at the matrix or matrix amp level, not at the controller. (I'd have bought a new triad matrix if it had Spotify Connect)

I'm curious what the C4 app looks like when you swap over to it from the Spotify app? Do you get full play/pause/skip? What do you see when you go to Now Playing?

How are you guys implementing the drivers in regard to auto room on? I have one driver now and haven't had a ton of time to test it out yet.

Seems a little clunky, but my idea is to get 8 drivers, one for each of my 8 zones and then i can just select what room to turn on from Spotify. Does this make sense or is there a better way?

On 10/09/2017 at 2:48 AM, msgreenf said:

There are no music services in the matrix. Matrix is fed by sources

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MSG, ya'll been using a HEOS source into the Matrix previously to get spotify. Right? So I guess with this new Control4 specific Spotify Connect source now (be it the HC800, or whatever controller you like), you don't need a HEOS for that now right? So you ditching HEOS from your projects now when folks just want Spotify? Just Curious. Thanks! 

MSG, ya'll been using a HEOS source into the Matrix previously to get spotify. Right? So I guess with this new Control4 specific Spotify Connect source now (be it the HC800, or whatever controller you like), you don't need a HEOS for that now right? So you ditching HEOS from your projects now when folks just want Spotify? Just Curious. Thanks! 
I don't use Spotify so this changes nothing for me

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

How are you guys implementing the drivers in regard to auto room on? I have one driver now and haven't had a ton of time to test it out yet.
Seems a little clunky, but my idea is to get 8 drivers, one for each of my 8 zones and then i can just select what room to turn on from Spotify. Does this make sense or is there a better way?

The only thing that will be odd is if you do use the presets in the control4 interface - the presets are by account (I believe) so each room will have different presets (or you'll need to do the presets 8 times - once for each room)

• 7 months later...

I'm new here but the volume from spotify app is now implemented. We've tried it via iOS and android app and the volume ramping is very laggy. We have musicCast in the same install and it works reasonably simultaneously on that which suggests its C4 rather than network/spotify app. Has anyone else used it yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the volume control of Spotify Connect...

So we open the phone. Launch spotify. Select a song and send it to the spotify connect zone.. the room turns on and spotify plays in that room. All good.

We can control the volume from Spotify app but the room never gets above 40% volume level because we have the control4 room defaulted at 40% volume

Is there a way to make the control4 room volume level increase when spotify connect is launched? THis is primarily for guests on the deck who will not be loading the c4 app on their phones

Go to the programming tab

Select the room

Select Audio Selection changed

Go to programming side and select room, conditionals tab below, audio devices selected is spotify connect driver and add to programming

Expand 'room variables' under the room name

select "Current_Volume" and enter volume you want the room to go below

Add to programming under the room selection conditional

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.