C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 Decisions to Make

Jshap1

This is my first post in this forum and I have had my Control 4 system for six years now.  I really liked the system at first but have felt stuck over the past year or two in terms of functionality.  My installer has told me that I am unable to update to the newer versions of the programing.  I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on the best steps to start enjoying my system again.  I currently run the HC800 with 4 six button keypads and most of the house on the control 4 lighting 4,300 sq ft).  

We also run two TV setups with 5.1 audio and two channel speakers in 3 other rooms.  In addition I run the climate with two Control 4 thermostats and the security system.  I have been told that I am out of space on my current setup and would need to add equipment to handle more functionality.  We recently finished our basement and have added another TV with 7.2 audio and a second zone with one TV and two channel speakers.  No lighting controls in the basement.  The receivers we use for the control 4 system are two Sony DA2800ES which have built in Control 4 functionality.  My dealer told me that these receivers are part of my problem in updating the system (not sure if this is true).  We also run a Control 4 four zone amplifier.  The music is run through two separate Sonos boxes one for upstairs and one for down stairs.  

I would like to start to scale the system up but am having a hard time understanding what my current constraints are.  Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.  

If you give up the control ports on the receivers then you can just use them as regular receivers and change the drivers and upgrade to the current OS version. Depending on what is connected to them you may need a c4 controller, an IOX, zigbee2IR to control any devices connected to them for serial or IR

Sound like that guy trying very hard to update ya to EA stuff. I am currently running 10.2.5. 1 HC800 and 2 HC250. I use ROKU for my 4K to TVs. And have a Pioneer 4K receiver for Surround sound. I have the HC audio output going to my 4 rooms thru a Niles 12 channel amp.

bc2aab1ab1b97c4c340ba1b3ac389455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, ronlonnborg said:

Sound like that guy trying very hard to update ya to EA stuff. I am currently running 10.2.5. 1 HC800 and 2 HC250. I use ROKU for my 4K to TVs. And have a Pioneer 4K receiver for Surround sound. I have the HC audio output going to my 4 rooms thru a Niles 12 channel amp.

bc2aab1ab1b97c4c340ba1b3ac389455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i agree. I'm running HC800 as my primary with a 250 and EA1 on the latest OS.

• 11 months later...

I had a Control 4 Pro dealer come out and review my situation. He confirmed that the Sony receivers are my problem to getting upgraded to the current OS. He recommended a Control 4 C4-EA5-V2 ($2,140.55). My question to the board is what controller should I go with to take that functionality out of the Sony receivers? Can I go with EA1 or do I need EA5? What is the difference between the two?

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:
15 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:
Video front my CCTV Cameras 
That's why we have stayed with a HC800
The EA5 is over priced for old Tech
We have 4 T3 Touch Screens Which show all our Cameras 

And not watching security cameras at 1080p is a must?

I've upgraded mine to 8K so I can do a daily mosquito census to know when to respray my property. Maybe they have a fly problem?

My Security cameras look great on the little 7 and 10" touch panels. When we want to see high quality detail, we will turn on the TV's and display the video from the NVR

I would suspect most would use a monitor or the TV when they need more detail then the little touch panels. 

I already have HC800. I need an EA as the controllers I have are embedded into my receivers. Since those receivers can't be updated I need a controller that gets me to the new OS or my system is pointless. I don't care about the video resolution as I run everything out of the receiver which supports 4K. Does anyone know how difficult it is to program the controller for my system? Or what kind of programing would be needed to eliminate the controller from the receivers and use the EA unit.

1 hour ago, Jshap1 said:

I already have HC800. I need an EA as the controllers I have are embedded into my receivers. Since those receivers can't be updated I need a controller that gets me to the new OS or my system is pointless. I don't care about the video resolution as I run everything out of the receiver which supports 4K. Does anyone know how difficult it is to program the controller for my system? Or what kind of programing would be needed to eliminate the controller from the receivers and use the EA unit.

Isn’t the hc800 enough?  Do you need extra controllers?

You can keep the HC800. It still works great on OS 3.1 - I still have one at my own house.

You will need to get rid of any HC-250s, Old touch Panels, and swap the driver for the sony recievers.

You may need an IOX, Z2IO or another controller to control things now that the receivers arn't going be be able to do that.

Upgrading to an EA5 is a good idea, but don't think that you HAVE to buy an EA5. Your HC800 is still suporrted and will work fine. Now for how much longer will the HC800 be supported is unknown, but as of today its fine.

Heck I bet the HC800 IR outputs aren't even being used and if you really got a craft dealer he could likely splice IR out of the HC800 to a Cat5 cable in the room and upgrade the system with little to no extra hardware required.

maybe not though. Have them run the OS3 Updater and give you the OS3 upgrade Report generated from Composer. That should clearly outline what products you have that are no longer supported.

Good suggestions BraydonH. I am still a bit confused on my system as I have the HC800 but don't have any HC-250s. I believe I didn't need them as a version of it is built in to my Sony ES receivers. I'm looking for the best option to update my system to the new OS3 and can't do it since the technology in my receivers is no longer supported. It sounds like I can still get the OS3 with my HC800 which is great. I believe I need to deactivate the controller in the receivers and add a controller to take over that functionality at each receiver. One of the receivers is on my main rack and the other is in a different location in the bedroom. The proposal I received was to add an EA5 to the main rack and an EA1 in the bedroom location by the standalone receiver. Does this make sense?

2 hours ago, Jshap1 said:

The proposal I received was to add an EA5 to the main rack and an EA1 in the bedroom location by the standalone receiver. Does this make sense?

Yes, though you could push to keep the HC800 and not get the EA5.

Note that you would loose:

-Onscreen on the HC800 (may or may not impact you

-Audio quality for distributed audio (no HD audio on HC800 outputs - whether that is important to YOU is another matter).

And this wouldn't be a 'hard' upgrade. A little time consuming to get the firmware on the Sony receivers if memory serves, though you could see if you can do this yourself (not sure mind you!) and kill off some sitting around labor cost.

Adding the EA1 is little effort, but depending on the location you may need a network switch (as you now have to feed the receiver and the EA1) and an HDMI to feed the EA1 into the receiver. Oh and maybe a powerbar if it's full at the location....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.