C4 Forums | Control4

Weather integration

dbuono

2 hours ago, Pounce said:

With that product I've seen people use a velcro strap and strap it to anything that will be mostly in the shade. So under and eave etc on a gutter downspout or similar. You aren't going to get wind speeds.

Yes I know I need the wind device for wind.  What I meant was their video shows the base unit on a table.  And I’m saying wind would knock it over 🙂. Not practical.  So you can strap it to a down spout on the gutter and it will get a good reading?

5 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Yes I know I need the wind device for wind.  What I meant was their video shows the base unit on a table.  And I’m saying wind would knock it over 🙂. Not practical.  So you can strap it to a down spout on the gutter and it will get a good reading?

We mounted our outdoor sensor on an outside wall underneath an eave that shields it from direct sunlight.  It works pretty well, although we do not have the wind sensor or the rain gauge. 

Doesn't look the c4 driver is working at all, at least if you want your OWN weather.

If any of our smart driver developers are willing to write a new driver, I'd be up to purchase something.

WU is still offering API keys to PWS (personal weather station) uploaders.

Here are the new API commands:

documentation for those commands is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eKCnKXI9xnoMGRRzOL1xPCBihNV2rOet08qpE_gArAY/edit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

Control 4 has a driver that integrates with Weather Underground available. Mine has been working now for about a year and is very reliable and works a treat.

Bill

But it isn't actually using YOUR weather station information, correct?! 

58 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

Control 4 has a driver that integrates with Weather Underground available. Mine has been working now for about a year and is very reliable and works a treat.

Bill

I must say, I have been using this driver too and it gives me perfect data.  But no, I don’t have my own weather station.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, turls said:

If I try to pick "WU" from the Service Selector dropdown, then click Set, it changes briefly but immediately reverts to C4.  I have a Weather Station that I upload data to WU with and want to use WU as the option.

I have this same experience - so how are you that are using the current driver getting your PWS info?  I have an API key (updated after the change) and prior to all this was using a PWS for many years successfully.  I simply can't get the driver to allow me to input my API key, it continues to revert back to C4.

7 hours ago, poisenoire said:

I have this same experience - so how are you that are using the current driver getting your PWS info?  I have an API key (updated after the change) and prior to all this was using a PWS for many years successfully.  I simply can't get the driver to allow me to input my API key, it continues to revert back to C4.

I don't think there is any way to access the data through C4 any more.  Even with the API key, C4 doesn't support it on their side.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:00 PM, msgreenf said:
On 7/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, R_Willis said:
But it isn't actually using YOUR weather station information, correct?! 

No it's your pws

My weather station sends the data to the Weather Underground. The driver reads MY data from MY weather station from MY weather underground station and gives it to me in MY house.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXBELTO8

So - I believe that in every sense of the words - it is MY weather hardware, my weather station and my data.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 9:38 PM, TexasBill said:

My weather station sends the data to the Weather Underground. The driver reads MY data from MY weather station from MY weather underground station and gives it to me in MY house.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXBELTO8

So - I believe that in every sense of the words - it is MY weather hardware, my weather station and my data.

Bill

I think you are wrong. I also have a PWS and upload to WU. But, the driver is NO LONGER pulling from them. It is using a local or in your area service.

This driver enables a Control4 system to represent weather information as a thermostat type device on the Control4 UI.  It displays information from the Control4 weather service.
This driver replaces the free Weather Underground driver and can be updated to replace that driver in a project.
As of January 2019, IBM has discontinued the services of the free Weather Underground API. This driver has been built on the framework of the free Weather Underground driver and has been updated to pull weather data from Control4's weather service. It provides similar functionality to that previously provided.
Variables are populated for the provided weather data which can be used in custom programming. Also, the customer can set High and Low warning levels for temperature which can then be used in custom programming.  
Weather data is retrieved every 30 minutes by default.  This can be adjusted between 10 and 60 minutes.

9 hours ago, R_Willis said:

I think you are wrong. I also have a PWS and upload to WU. But, the driver is NO LONGER pulling from them. It is using a local or in your area service.

This driver enables a Control4 system to represent weather information as a thermostat type device on the Control4 UI.  It displays information from the Control4 weather service.
This driver replaces the free Weather Underground driver and can be updated to replace that driver in a project.
As of January 2019, IBM has discontinued the services of the free Weather Underground API. This driver has been built on the framework of the free Weather Underground driver and has been updated to pull weather data from Control4's weather service. It provides similar functionality to that previously provided.
Variables are populated for the provided weather data which can be used in custom programming. Also, the customer can set High and Low warning levels for temperature which can then be used in custom programming.  
Weather data is retrieved every 30 minutes by default.  This can be adjusted between 10 and 60 minutes.

Here is the email that I got from Dr Victoria Gardner at IBM below - What my PWS is showing and what I am getting seem to be in sync so I am happy - 

Bill 

We’d like to reiterate a few things and let you know of a few small timing changes as we move closer to the previously announced retirement of the Weather Underground API:

• Based on the response to the previous announcement as we neared year end, we have extended the retirement date to February 15, 2019 to allow you more transition time.
  • All Weather Underground API keys will stop working on February 15, 2019 unless otherwise agreed upon with Weather Underground.
  • All credit card charges for existing Weather Underground API subscriptions will stop on December 26, 2018.

Personal Weather Station (PWS) owners/contributors will continue to be eligible for a free replacement API service selected from our IBM/Weather Company standard offerings that contain:

• Current observations from the PWS network
  • 5 day daily forecast
  • PWS historical data
  • PWS lookup by geocode, zip code and location
  • Call volume: 1500/day, 30/minute

You can check out our PWS contributor replacement API documentation here.

If you need higher call volumes, you can still sign up for a paid API subscription plan from The Weather Company.  Prices begin at $200/month. To have a representative contact you or to request a demo, please 
click to fill out the contact form.

Finally, we are humbled by the loyalty you’ve shown us during this difficult transition period.  Thank you for your continued support of the Weather Underground community.

With gratitude,
The WU API Transition Team

Attachments area

23 minutes ago, DawnGordon said:

Who is Control4 currently using for their Weather Service info?  I'm talking about the weather report  you get on Control4 touchscreens when you push the temperature icon.

IBM - they purchased Weather Underground.

At this point they take (I believe) the longitude and latitude of where you say that you are and pick the nearest PWS to those coordinates. Since I used google maps to get my coordinates I believe that my PWS (personal weather station) is closer than anyone elses so I tTHINK that it is using mine. It SEEMS to be in sync with mine and it SEEMS to use my data.

You mileage may vary, to not take if allergic to this particular information, and it has caused cancer in some lab rats.

Bill

44 minutes ago, DawnGordon said:

Who is Control4 currently using for their Weather Service info?  I'm talking about the weather report  you get on Control4 touchscreens when you push the temperature icon.

The weather report I get here is quite different from what I get using the Control4 driver.  I’ve never been able to figure out why as they should be using the same source (I would have thought).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.