C4 Forums | Control4

New Apple TV 4k IP driver out today

C4 finally released the new driver as well as some updates for IOS users.

The new IP driver no longer requires a static IP addresses or IP address reservations to maintain communications with the Apple TV. Even if IP addresses change, the Control4 system is still able to communicate with and control the Apple TV devices. This new driver has also been approved by Apple.

The new driver uses Apple’s latest API and the installation requires the use of the homeowner’s iPhone or iPad.

looks like the added the hold commands as well and allow you to add any of the buttons to a good selection of buttons

image.thumb.png.a8a5f9914165e11e011b0eca45714881.png

pm me if you need help updating.

OS 2.10.6 introduces a new camera experience for Control4 iOS apps, making it faster and easier to check your cameras when you are at home and away.

• Camera thumbnails are larger and load faster
  • Swipe between cameras for faster navigation
  • Camera overlay can be toggled on/off allowing you to see the image without obstructions

1 minute ago, chopedogg88 said:

what if the homeowner doesn't have an iPhone or iPad?

guess us tech going to be carry and extra ios device around, try the old ip driver or use ir.

its required it feels like to connect it to the apple bridge driver.

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

guess us tech going to be carry and extra ios device around, try the old ip driver or use ir.

its required it feels like to connect it to the apple bridge driver.

does the iOS device need to be linked to the same Apple account as the Apple TV?

22 minutes ago, janthony6 said:

Installed it.  My EA5 is now in my Apple home app.  Doesn’t show any of my devices so you still need the homebridge plugin.....

Are you talking about the homebridge plugin from varietos?  That most excellent system allows Apple HomeKit to see your C4 lights and some other stuff.  

You will still need it as this update seems to just change the appletv driver to use AirPlay.  It doesn’t work with anything else.  (As far as I can tell)

Yes I’m talking about veritas - it’s still needed. I built my own pi 3b+ with poe hat and have control4, sony HomeKit plugin for TVs, nest plugin, MyQ, and directv....

runs fantastic - just thought it would be neat if the EA series natively supports HomeKit and all the devices in it show up.  Seems that may be coming since the EA5 is now a bridge showing up in my home app.  

7 hours ago, janthony6 said:

Yes I’m talking about veritas - it’s still needed. I built my own pi 3b+ with poe hat and have control4, sony HomeKit plugin for TVs, nest plugin, MyQ, and directv....

runs fantastic - just thought it would be neat if the EA series natively supports HomeKit and all the devices in it show up.  Seems that may be coming since the EA5 is now a bridge showing up in my home app.  

It would be nice if C4 had full integration with HomeKit, the C4 iOS app is just to slow for my taste and we use HomeKit for quick access to lights, locks, etc.

However, Josh's Veritas app on my pi is just perfect!!!!  And he deserves the income from creating homebridge.

If C4 or Josh wanted.....we could really really use the something in HomeKit that mimics a C4-remote for controlling TV/DirectTV/ETC that are defined in C4.  That might be the holly grail. Unfortunately the home bridge add ons just didn't seem polished.

At this point I never use the control4 app.  It’s too slow to load and doesn’t get me where I want to go quick enough.  

I have automations controlled by HomeKit and all my favorites organized on my main screen along with zones set for easy voice control of areas.

we use our HomePods all the time for Siri control of the house since it’s a ay faster than Alexa.  I have favorites if channels and it’s great to use voice to say things like “hey Siri set NFL Network.”  

5 hours ago, janthony6 said:

At this point I never use the control4 app.  It’s too slow to load and doesn’t get me where I want to go quick enough.  

I have automations controlled by HomeKit and all my favorites organized on my main screen along with zones set for easy voice control of areas.

we use our HomePods all the time for Siri control of the house since it’s a ay faster than Alexa.  I have favorites if channels and it’s great to use voice to say things like “hey Siri set NFL Network.”  

Gotta say....COOL!

I'd probably take a leap into more home bridge integration, but frankly I like using a remote when watching tv.  I do control anything that uses manually activated lights and scenes with my iphone using apples app.  It's rare that I would launch the C4 app at all.  Thanks to Veritas, I can do a lot of automation (shut lights off an lock doors at 12PM) then use apple's app to unlock the door or open and close the garage.....it's all about flexability!

I initially bought my pi from josh but then broke it and ruined the software trying to upgrade from Jesse to Stretch.

once I learned how to set it up myself, I really learned how to program my own stuff into it.  All my Ubiquiti cameras show up in my home app now too. 

There are plugins for pretty much everything internet connected and so many customizable options through the eve app.  

Does this driver allow for control of mini apps? I am looking for a device to play iplayer, Netflix, etc with an Ethernet port (Roku Ultra is not available in the U.K.) so could use Apple TV which would have the added benefit of AirPlay, etc

Thanks

50 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I do wonder what the technical limitation is on the HC series that makes this unable to work on those?  Seems odd to me.

No reason at alll, just pushing a refresh cycle more aggressively ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.