C4 Forums | Control4

New lighting products?

WisC4

46 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

Also, not sure what you mean "Keypad option" but there are no essential line Keypads

You're right, I misread auxiliary keypad. Do you have any photos you can share of the install? Very limited info online unfortunately. 

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread. Since it's been a few months, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how these essential switches look compared to the 'normal' switches/dimmers.

I'm looking at a few keypads but once I do that, the domino effect of replacing the switches in the 3&4 gang plates so everything looks good cascades into needing auxiliary switches in other locations with 3&4 gang plates and so on . . .

In trying to keep costs down since I hadn't planned on installing lighting right now but really want some keypads, I was wondering what the essential switches look like in the same faceplate as the 'regular' lighting switches.  I do realize that colors are limited but I would probably just do almond all around where I would need the essential switches.  How would they look next to an almond keypad dimmer and fan controller? 

In the rooms where we want a little more color options, we'll definitely have to go with the regular switches (i.e. I like the matte black keypad but not sure that would look good next to the auxiliary switches/dimmers - unless someone has experience/photos otherwise).

I know that the dimmers aren't as functional but I would only be using the essentials in areas where we wouldn't be dimming anyway - i.e. an upstairs hallway with ceiling lights.  I would just install a 'normal' dimming switch in the room where we want control and the essentials on the 3 way switches elsewhere.

So how does the essential almond color match up with the almond keypad and normal switches?  

Also, are the shape and design of the switches the same (minus engraving and the LED) so you could mix and match the normal switch in the same face plate as the essential?

There isn't a whole lot of information available that I could find.

Appreciate the help!

3 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Does thisceb4aef955b03c68934db64b943e4640.jpg
help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is super helpful. - thank you so much!

I think I’m finally wrapping my head around this now so if the below is correct, I’m really just looking at the decision to move forward based on the cost for each room/set of gang plates.

If I am understanding this then:

1. The essentials basically look the same minus the LEDs, the frame around the switch and engraving so white or almond in both lines would match if I were to do essential switches next to a keypad in the same face plate for example

2. Aux switches don’t control a load at all, they just run along the travel wire to a load switching 3-way switch or keypad and when you ‘turn the switch on’ you’re really just sending a signal through the controller to activate a light or scene. I would need an actual switch to turn a load on or off for a non 3-way load/single pole toggle switch replacement correct?

Thnaks again!!

That is super helpful. - thank you so much!
I think I’m finally wrapping my head around this now so if the below is correct, I’m really just looking at the decision to move forward based on the cost for each room/set of gang plates.
If I am understanding this then:
1. The essentials basically look the same minus the LEDs, the frame around the switch and engraving so white or almond in both lines would match if I were to do essential switches next to a keypad in the same face plate for example
2. Aux switches don’t control a load at all, they just run along the travel wire to a load switching 3-way switch or keypad and when you ‘turn the switch on’ you’re really just sending a signal through the controller to activate a light or scene. I would need an actual switch to turn a load on or off for a non 3-way load/single pole toggle switch replacement correct?
Thnaks again!!

The aux keypads work just like a regular 3 way switch. They can ONLY control the switch they’re wired too.

These look more or less the same. They have an LED in the bottom right of the bezel, and the bezel is a little different. My Gen 3 lighting is all Snow White (matte). These are white (gloss).

Outside of the LED options and appearance,  are there any other differences between these and regular switches?   The rockers look more durable than the normal switches, is this your experience?   Are the colors available same as regular switch?   Sorry, lots of questions as I can't seem to find them on the C4 website after trying to look :(

Outside of the LED options and appearance,  are there any other differences between these and regular switches?   The rockers look more durable than the normal switches, is this your experience?   Are the colors available same as regular switch?   Sorry, lots of questions as I can't seem to find them on the C4 website after trying to look

I haven’t found them to be more or less durable. Maybe the faceplate feels more sturdy? It isn’t designed to be removed/swapped out.

I don’t know about the full color palette available - I just have white ones. I use them in areas like mechanical rooms, storage closets, etc... where I don’t care about engraving or having them match the other stuff around the house.

7 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I haven’t found them to be more or less durable. Maybe the faceplate feels more sturdy? It isn’t designed to be removed/swapped out.

I don’t know about the full color palette available - I just have white ones. I use them in areas like mechanical rooms, storage closets, etc... where I don’t care about engraving or having them match the other stuff around the house.

my normal lightswitch rockers break all the time as well as the little bars top and bottom.   Not very durable with kids unfortunatley.

14 hours ago, ejn1 said:

my normal lightswitch rockers break all the time as well as the little bars top and bottom.   Not very durable with kids unfortunatley.

Really? That’s wild. I have 4 rowdy sons (one already a teenager and another 12 year old) and having had Control4 since 2006 we’ve never had one break. 

22 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Really? That’s wild. I have 4 rowdy sons (one already a teenager and another 12 year old) and having had Control4 since 2006 we’ve never had one break. 

Same.  3 girls from 5 to 10.  Never an issue.

Who installed your lights?  Was it your installer?  Sounds like they were mangled to begin with if they break that easily for you.

They did have a problem with the first run of rockers from the first run of the new APD/FPD dimmers. On our first few installs we had to swap them all out when the fixed their manufacturing issues (poor tolerance control on the machinary), but I've also noticed that some of the first run of dimmers cause even the newer plates to pop off and break based on a mixture of them in my own house with minimal pressing as 95% of our control is off of keypads.

6 hours ago, HRT said:

They did have a problem with the first run of rockers from the first run of the new APD/FPD dimmers. On our first few installs we had to swap them all out when the fixed their manufacturing issues (poor tolerance control on the machinary), but I've also noticed that some of the first run of dimmers cause even the newer plates to pop off and break based on a mixture of them in my own house with minimal pressing as 95% of our control is off of keypads.

I changed out many from first runs...  C4 was nice enough to change them and they are improved but they engineering design of them makes them far more likely to break or move (eg the top and bottom light bars) vs any other switch i've owned.    They look great and are awesome but far from durable imho.

8 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Same.  3 girls from 5 to 10.  Never an issue.

Who installed your lights?  Was it your installer?  Sounds like they were mangled to begin with if they break that easily for you.

I guess we have some very fortunate users on this thread.   When C4 changed mine initially they even acknowledged an issue with some of the tabs being weak.   Not complaining just saying the engineering design is not made for durability imho.  If you've never had an issue than feel lucky.  I installed mine and issue only appears after a year+ of use.   I have a large sample in my home with about 40+ lights i'm guessing.  Here's couple of pics of things i see on occasion from rockers or buttons.

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.