C4 Forums | Control4

Need Recommendation for 8x8 Video Switcher

I got a $10k hardware quote for a C4 brand 4K 8x8 hdmi switcher and 6 of the 4K Baluns. That’s more than I want to pay. 

What are some good alternative brands to look at? I read through the forums and found ones to avoid (power supplies going out etc). 

Just Add Power and AV Pro would really be the only I'd be comfortable recommending.  You're likely not saving much money if any though (depends how many sources and TVs).  If you don't want to pony up that kind of cash for video distribution, which I totally understand, I'd be more inclined to ditch video distribution all together and go with streaming options vs getting yourself into a cheap video switch that will likely drive you crazy.  

I found a few companies selling the following matrix but could not find any reviews yet.

Good features and also includes audio de-embedding/matrix.

The only downside is there are no Control4 drivers made, but shouldnt be too hard to build a serial drive for it:

https://amp.hdtvsupply.com/8x8-hdmi-matrix.html

https://bzbgear.com/product/bg-uhd-88m18g-bzbgear-8x8-hdmi-2-0-matrix-with-audio-matrix-downscaling-aoc-supported/

5 hours ago, dougw246 said:

I installed a Foxun Model:SX-MX12B 8x8 HDBaseT Matrix, Support 18G, HDR, 4K2K@60Hz, YUV 4:4:4.

http://foxun.com/product_detail_1495.html

I wrote a one way serial driver for it and it has worked great.  The price is less than 1/5 what you have been quoted.

About a year ago, I had contacted Foxun about this exact model (SX-MX12B) and they had mentioned that they have Control4 drivers for it - IP based as well as serial based.  Is that not the case?

And how is it working for you?

Go local unless you need one to many.
Either for a party where you want one source in sync across multiple displays, or you have a Kaleidescape level source to distribute.
And then MoIP still makes more sense than a traditional matrix. Much more easily scaled. One source to ten displays, sure. Add a second source later, easy.

Thanks @RAV and everyone. I decided to go all local video sources and just keep and distributed audio for the ceiling and outdoor speakers. I tore out 6 baluns today, made sure there's an Apple TV, Amazon fire or an Xbox on each of the TVs, got a Hulu+Live TV subscription bundled with Disney+ that I'm launching through either smart tv apps or the streaming device. Everything is working perfectly. I'll be canceling my cable subscription on Monday and giving them their boxes.

One thing I noticed when running speed tests at my TVs is that my wired ethernet connection was giving me 300 mbps+ down, but my wifi was only getting between 20-100mbps depending on location. I ended up putting in some 5 and 8 port switches behind tvs with lots of components to get as much wired as I could. Making a big difference on app GUI speed.

Next step is to get some things remotely reprogrammed to remove and update source availability and what rooms still need the SR-250s.

Case closed! 

Most residential installs have a lot of wifi interference.  That is what causes the App gui speed delays.  If you run a more advanced test you would see a lot of dropped packets via wifi (up to 20% at times is fairly common).

Don't forget to get a few IRUSB devices for those Fire sticks 😉

You might also want to try our free SplashTiles tool / App.  It can give you some cool automation features in your "local" setup  (such as Camera PIP, custom screen savers, etc).

On 7/11/2020 at 2:17 AM, AshMania said:

About a year ago, I had contacted Foxun about this exact model (SX-MX12B) and they had mentioned that they have Control4 drivers for it - IP based as well as serial based.  Is that not the case?

And how is it working for you?

They never created a driver for this model and the serial codes changed from the SX-MX12 model that does have a driver.  I created a simple serial driver using the other one as a template.  It has been trouble free since I installed it.  I am very happy with the function and the value.

Update. Thanks very much to @Matt Lowefor reprogramming my system.

I ended up rejecting the $13k quote from my local dealer and doing a bunch of hardware work myself, and Matt did all the reprogramming in a few hours. I saved a ton of money, @Matt Lowe’s work is top notch and everything is absolutely perfect.  And it was all done faster than my local could have rolled a truck.

This forum and the pros in here are awesome.  Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.