C4 Forums | Control4

Heated floors and towel racks

All,

I’m on last stages of drywall on a new build and spaced out heated floor integration. I also see that people do heated towel racks. I wanted to get the consensus on best way to do this. It would be nice to have no visible controller for heated floors and just have them controlled via touchscreen or iPhone. How would this need to be wired?

I have hydronic heated floors and the Aprilaire work great. For heated towel rack we decided to get one (pretty cheap on amazon like $350) that has direct or plug in option. Used the 120v plug and put in a kasa in wall flush outlet kp200 which can be controlled via chowmain driver

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

I have hydronic heated floors and the Aprilaire work great. For heated towel rack we decided to get one (pretty cheap on amazon like $350) that has direct or plug in option. Used the 120v plug and put in a kasa in wall flush outlet kp200 which can be controlled via chowmain driver

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Google says NUHEAT has a C4 driver.

But then do you still

need to have the Nuheat control on the wall? Would love to have any heat control out of site and just control via touchscreen. Most likely would have it on presets anyways. Like could I just hide the Nuheat control in a cabinet or something? 

4 hours ago, rf9000 said:

But then do you still

need to have the Nuheat control on the wall? Would love to have any heat control out of site and just control via touchscreen. Most likely would have it on presets anyways. Like could I just hide the Nuheat control in a cabinet or something? 

I guess its helpful to think through how a thermostat works. There is a temp sensor inside that senses the temp of the room. Its not just a screen. That being said there are ways to have temp sensors in a room that are not in the thermostat on the wall, but there will still be a device somewhere in a meaningful place for the purpose of measuring the temp to make the whole control process work.

I assume your radiant floor contractor offered some control options?

We know from some recent threads that C4 thermostats can operate using remote temp sensors. That can permit you to put the actual thermostat somewhere out of site while using something like a Z2IO for sensors. You can also use Ecobee thermostats with room sensor(s). They integrate.

There are a lot of unknowns since you posted very little. Many times people have two stage systems with hydronic and forced air combined. You may want to get clear on what you really want or expect from an integration. If you don't have two stage and just have basic radiant floor you may really not gain a lot from C4 integration. Radiant heat is very different from forced air where you can raise or lower the temp in a matter of minutes. If you know exactly what you want you should really put your heating people together with your dealer.

Just wire up your towel rack to a C4 switch. You then have a lot of control. Doubtful in practice you will do much more than schedule it for certain times of the day and leave it there.

4 hours ago, Pounce said:

I guess its helpful to think through how a thermostat works. There is a temp sensor inside that senses the temp of the room. Its not just a screen. That being said there are ways to have temp sensors in a room that are not in the thermostat on the wall, but there will still be a device somewhere in a meaningful place for the purpose of measuring the temp to make the whole control process work.

I assume your radiant floor contractor offered some control options?

We know from some recent threads that C4 thermostats can operate using remote temp sensors. That can permit you to put the actual thermostat somewhere out of site while using something like a Z2IO for sensors. You can also use Ecobee thermostats with room sensor(s). They integrate.

There are a lot of unknowns since you posted very little. Many times people have two stage systems with hydronic and forced air combined. You may want to get clear on what you really want or expect from an integration. If you don't have two stage and just have basic radiant floor you may really not gain a lot from C4 integration. Radiant heat is very different from forced air where you can raise or lower the temp in a matter of minutes. If you know exactly what you want you should really put your heating people together with your dealer.

Just wire up your towel rack to a C4 switch. You then have a lot of control. Doubtful in practice you will do much more than schedule it for certain times of the day and leave it there.

I apologize if I wasn't clear. This would actually just be the heat wire used under tile, such as Kerdi Ditra Heat that would be controlled by a simple wall mount Thermostat. The Thermostat would be something like the Nuheat Signature the has WIFI and integrates into C4. This may be a dumb question but how does C4 then actually communicate with the thermostat, over WIFI? I would like to mount the Thermostat in an under the sink cabinet or something like that, and just have the nearby touchscreen control the floor heat

15 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

You can mount the floor t-stat in a cabinet; I’ve installed them under the sink.

Towel bar can be switched via a switch, or a relay if the switch ratings aren’t high enough for your towel bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning on putting under the sink, but how does C4 talk to the WIFI thermo? Via WIFI?

• 1 month later...

@rf9000 Curious how the Nuheat integration works for you with C4. Are you seeing it as a regular thermostat and does it show you floor?  I installed one in our home a few years ago when we installed a floor warming system under the new stone in the mudroom. There’s a temp sensor under the tile not the stat so could certainly be mounted out of the way. There may be an air tempt sensor in the stat too but not really important and I’m not certain of that. Wanted to say though that there’s actually also a dry contact in the stat that, when closed, puts the system into away mode. I have had that integrated in my DIY system to turn the warming off when sleeping or away. Nice additional feature but would be cool to have full integration in C4. I don’t have my C4 system quite yet so curious if you’re happy with the integration?

I have installed Heatmiser (which looks similar/identical to NuHeat). I have underfloor temperature sensors in the bathroom floors and temperature sensor thimbles on the walls of other rooms. These are remote temperature sensors and you wire them back to a thermostat which we have hidden in a few locations around the house. Heatmiser fully integrates with Control4.

We didn’t want the thermostats (which aren’t ugly but are quite chunky) on each wall so used the remote sensor option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, Neo1738 said:

For heated towel rack we decided to get one (pretty cheap on amazon like $350) that has direct or plug in option. Used the 120v plug and put in a kasa in wall flush outlet kp200 which can be controlled via chowmain driver

Alright, I'm doing the same thing. Just ordered the Kasa, and will get it working that way. Seems the easiest solution. 

On 7/20/2020 at 6:25 PM, Neo1738 said:

Awesome use case!

FWIW - I have 7 hydronic radiant zones in my house (bathrooms, entry, garage, etc). Each has a tekmar 532 thermostat, which is super simple, and connects to slab / floor sensors. The thermostats hook to tekmar 315 valve controllers to control zone actuators / boiler end switch and tie into tekmar 482 RS232 gateway, which connects to my EA5. It's complicated, but works flawlessly. I appreciate the wall thermostats, particularly for guest rooms, master bath etc. as an easy way to control the floor temp without going through C4. Yet C4 control is great for remote control, macros, etc. to turn on / off floors remotely...

• 4 months later...

This might be a stupid question, but if you connect a heated towel rack to a light switch is it possible to change the "property" of the switch in control4 so that it doesn't come up as a light? I was thinking of doing this but I want to know if I would be able to change the icon so that it looks like something other than a light bulb in control4. Please let me know if this is possible.

34 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

This might be a stupid question, but if you connect a heated towel rack to a light switch is it possible to change the "property" of the switch in control4 so that it doesn't come up as a light? I was thinking of doing this but I want to know if I would be able to change the icon so that it looks like something other than a light bulb in control4. Please let me know if this is possible.

Could you use @alanchow’s switch to relay driver and then apply an experience button to the relay?

On 7/21/2020 at 7:10 AM, rf9000 said:

I was planning on putting under the sink, but how does C4 talk to the WIFI thermo? Via WIFI?

It wouldn’t talk to the t-stat. In the way I’ve installed them, the t-stat remains on a constant temperature, I just used the switch connected to a relay to switch the floor and towel bar together via scheduled off/on times. That way the floor and towel bar isn’t on all the time. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.