C4 Forums | Control4

EA1 Questions

rf9000

All,

I currently have 10 EA1s that will be used in my system. I started second guessing myself in the value of these as most of these rooms will also have touchscreens and SR260 remotes. What benefit do the EA1s add, are they highly suggested on all TVs and would you all recommend them?

1 minute ago, sonic30101 said:

Do you have distributed video or plan to use on screen in all rooms. Depending on cabling to control displays and local items you may not need them at every display but they do broadcast zigbee so you have to be strategic on which ones you opt out

No, I do not have distributed video. I guess I'm confused on the benefit of the EA1, other then getting on screen notifications

I get the onscreen notifications and strengthening the Zigbee network, but lets say I have this this scenario. In the media room I have a local AVR location with cabling such as HDMI, CAT6, etc ran to the TV. If I use a EA1 here, what cabling is needed? Does each EA1 connect directly to the network via CAt6? So I would need to use 10 more ports on the switch for the EA1s? Also, do they bog down the network? I also have Josh AI being incorporated, so I suppose they add some functionality there when asking Josh to watch Netflix. But then its limited, because he can turn on your TV, take you to Netflix, but then you still have to use a remote to select what you want to watch, right?

10 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

No, I do not have distributed video. I guess I'm confused on the benefit of the EA1, other then getting on screen notifications

Can help w zigbee

can help with I/O control 

can help with osd

can help with local audio streams

did you ask your dealer why it was designed that way?

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

Can help w zigbee

can help with I/O control 

can help with osd

can help with local audio streams

did you ask your dealer why it was designed that way?

I'm designing it. And I'm always the more is better type person....hahah. I'm trying to make everything universal. So the C4 menu is the same on all TVs, not just a few. But now kinda second guessing that like in the kids' bedrooms, etc.

41 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

I'm designing it. And I'm always the more is better type person....hahah. I'm trying to make everything universal. So the C4 menu is the same on all TVs, not just a few. But now kinda second guessing that like in the kids' bedrooms, etc.

Typically it is a stretch for most to automate kids bedrooms fully in c4 for most people once you start weighing in on the priority lists. It really depends on the ages and willingness to be fully in the ecosystem. If you are not going distributed video, many times a tv with a roku and a sonos beam/arc is more than enough but it really comes down to the user and their expectations/budget. 

If you want the same operation and interface everywhere.
if you want cameras everywhere, or wherever.
If you want on screen for lighting, HVAC, etc.
If you need a music source in the room, your example the theater AVR.
If you need zigbee coverage.
If you need IR or RS232 control over something in the room.

They attach to the network, depending on the model they can be POE or AC powered.
You're not forced to use the onscreen, it's an option, you can still just select Watch - Netflix.

They don't tend to add complexity in that they don't take down networks etc, but anything they oversee can get dropped from the system if they lock up or have an issue. We use POE or Wattboxes to keep them in check.

I would personally skip on the EA1s in every room and maybe do an IOX in the rack. OSD really isn't the greatest anymore and im sure if you planned on having 10+ controllers in your project that you have incorporated enough lighting to make a very strong zigbee mesh without additional controllers.

The other thing I worry about is in how many years will C4 say the EA1 isn't supported anymore then you would have to replace 10 controllers which was already a fairly large investment. The EA1 isn't exactly a brand new product so who knows how much longer its lifespan will be. I know the EA5 will likely be supported for a very long time to come, but I can't be so certain about EA1's.

2 hours ago, BraydonH said:

I would personally skip on the EA1s in every room and maybe do an IOX in the rack. OSD really isn't the greatest anymore and im sure if you planned on having 10+ controllers in your project that you have incorporated enough lighting to make a very strong zigbee mesh without additional controllers.

The other thing I worry about is in how many years will C4 say the EA1 isn't supported anymore then you would have to replace 10 controllers which was already a fairly large investment. The EA1 isn't exactly a brand new product so who knows how much longer its lifespan will be. I know the EA5 will likely be supported for a very long time to come, but I can't be so certain about EA1's.

IF we skipped the EA1s in every room, what would the IOX in the rack get you? IR control over all the TVS?

Just now, rf9000 said:

IF we skipped the EA1s in every room, what would the IOX in the rack get you? IR control over all the TVS?

We will already have an IOX in the rack. I have discrete motion sensors placed throughout to trigger lighting events. They will be hardwired to the EA5 and/or the IOX. I could use the EA5 and IO combo then for IR control of all the TVS if this is what you meant. Do you find Samsung Tvs are "buggy" with control over IP?

Personally we haven't pitched the on screen since you were forced to do thermostat scheduling through the on screen or C4 touchscreen (around 8/9 years ago?) Don't see the point when everyone has a phone in there hand and the remote in the other. If you don't have zigbee lighting or a sold zigbee mesh a few well placed CA-1's is a much better solution.

5 hours ago, rf9000 said:

Do you have someone giving input that is going to do the remote c4 programming?

Just now, ejn1 said:

Do you have someone giving input that is going to do the remote c4 programming?

the other thing you have to think about is zigbee mesh size - if you are having 10 controllers along and c4 guidance is meshes are ~75 or less devices, you have to take that into account....

Do you want/need on screen?

If the answer is no, or only in a few areas, than all the other things that a EA1 does can be done with other hardware or software or proper equipment choices.
CA1 for Zigbee, IP control4 for TVs and Roku rather than AppleTV. etc.

9 hours ago, amblinfan said:

Think I’d worry more about a better main processor for horsepower than an EA1 all over the place.  Zig bee I/O and a mix of EA1 if needed or IO extender.

I'm using an EA5 for the main processor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.