C4 Forums | Control4

50/55" TV controlled by IP and smart tv recommendation

drmark12pa

Question

Looking for a recommendation on a moderately priced TV for a kitchen use during meal prep in my home that can be controlled by C4 via IP and stream smart apps over same cat 5 or cat 6 cable.  Looking at Samsung, Sony, or maybe LG.  Don't need top end but not junk either.  Can C4 control tv over same cat 5 cable that is being used by tv for smart apps?

23 answers to this question

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

Looking for a recommendation on a moderately priced TV for a kitchen use during meal prep in my home that can be controlled by C4 via IP and stream smart apps over same cat 5 or cat 6 cable.  Looking at Samsung, Sony, or maybe LG.  Don't need top end but not junk either.  Can C4 control tv over same cat 5 cable that is being used by tv for smart apps?

1 cable is fine.  Sony works great but isn’t cheap.  Roku tv plus 3rd party roku driver is probably cheapest option

Sony, samsung, and LG have an entire sweet of tvs that are ip controllable. Best bang for the buck imo is the Sony's. We have quite a few options and offer free shipping . Send me a pm with what budget you are looking at and we can see about getting you the best deal. 

On 11/21/2021 at 4:51 PM, drmark12pa said:

I have a 70" Bravia and as far as C4 I find the IP response is sluggish very often

My experience with Sony IP Control has been since the move to Android operating system and has been flawless with a hardwired connection.  Have seen some hiccups trying IP control over Wi-Fi.  

I picked up a TCL 55" Roku TV for our guest bedroom during Black Friday.  Used the free Control4 Roku TV driver.  Works very well.  Only issue I have is with the stop/play/pause function.  I have to use the select button instead.  So not a big issue but wish they worked as expected.  Using Wifi without issues (I would have prefered LAN but couldn't make the run)

The PLAY, PAUSE and STOP buttons on remotes are mapped to keypress/Play on the Roku API.

There are no Pause and Stop commands available in the Roku API, which makes sense, since there is also no STOP button on the Roku Remote, and the play button is combined with the pause button.

You are welcome to look at your Roku remote, and confirm with the Roku API, which is publicly available:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/debugging/external-control-api.md

You can also see what is being sent to the RokuTV in the driver's Lua output.  When Play, Pause, or Stop are pressed on the Control4 remote, you should see this:

12/09/21 09:11:31 : ----- > 'http://192.168.29.63:8060/keypress/Play' []

If those keys are not working for you on particular apps, it's likely an issue with the app itself, not with Control4's RokuTV driver.

RyanE

I did end up get the Sony A80J TV and after a bit a configuring it does respond very quickly.  Absolutely an incredible picture with the contrast making 4K look almost 3D to a certain degree.  I already have a Sony XBR-55X850D which I have found to be quite sluggish with Control4 at times so was concerned hence my original post.  I'm not sure how to get the XBR a bit more responsive as sometimes it just seems slow with C4.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, drmark12pa said:

I did end up get the Sony A80J TV and after a bit a configuring it does respond very quickly.  Absolutely an incredible picture with the contrast making 4K look almost 3D to a certain degree.  I already have a Sony XBR-55X850D which I have found to be quite sluggish with Control4 at times so was concerned hence my original post.  I'm not sure how to get the XBR a bit more responsive as sometimes it just seems slow with C4.

Another nice feature of the Sony TVs is they can support full graphical on screen notifications & camera popups in C4.  Really can add you your experience!

Demo vid:

Tutorial vid: 

I might have spoke too soon about smooth C4 control.  Hadn't used tv in several days now today it's not responding to C4.... After restart using original remote it came back.  I have static IP set on my Eero but should probably set it on TV but not exactly sure what exact settings to use to use for default gateway and network prefix length.  IP address of Sony is 192.168.7.202

On 12/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, drmark12pa said:

I might have spoke too soon about smooth C4 control.  Hadn't used tv in several days now today it's not responding to C4.... After restart using original remote it came back.  I have static IP set on my Eero but should probably set it on TV but not exactly sure what exact settings to use to use for default gateway and network prefix length.  IP address of Sony is 192.168.7.202

Should work either way, though Eero....

Anyway, I would assume the TV can tell you the current IP settings, should you want to use static IP, you'd just copy the same infor from DHCP for prefix and default gateway (most likely you're looking at 192.168.7.1 for gateway, and 255.255.255.0 for prefix)

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Should work either way, though Eero....

Anyway, I would assume the TV can tell you the current IP settings, should you want to use static IP, you'd just copy the same infor from DHCP for prefix and default gateway (most likely you're looking at 192.168.7.1 for gateway, and 255.255.255.0 for prefix)

Do you not like Eero?  I've had it work perfectly for me and no regrets.

Any ideas on why C4 would lose connectivity with the TV?

Sony has great integration i have 3 here that work reliably. I ran into the same situation as you regarding my gym tv, not wanting to invest a lot in but still get somewhat decent quality with ip control I ended up with a Hisense 50" r6 roku tv and the c4 driver for it has been excellent so far. for $399 cdn for a 50" and full IP control with roku you can't go wrong.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:15 PM, drmark12pa said:

@drmark12panot sure if you saw this recent thread.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.