C4 Forums | Control4

Roku Replacement ?

C4tune

My Roku runs through an HDMI audio extractor to my HDMI matrix so I can get audio into my 8 zone C4 Amp. Two days ago Netflix and HBOGo started telling me I am having an HDCP error. 

I am looking for a replacement Streaming Box that has direct mini app launch as well as an audio out port (so i don't need to use the audio extractor). The three apps I need are: Netflix, HBOGO, and Spotify. 

Thanks,

Jake

if your current setup is doing what you want (with the exception of the HDCP error obviously) i have read (have not tested myself) from this and other sources:

https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/remove-hdcp-hdmi-signal/

that if you put a cheap (non HDCP compliant) slitter after the source that it will strip the HDCP? possibly someone could confirm this who has tried it? apparently this model (amongst others in the article) have been reported as doing the job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UYOEMI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003UYOEMI&linkCode=as2&tag=tweaki-20&linkId=OJPIO4MIXY4ZUXOD

this way you would not have to have a dealer load new drivers for alternate device and re-do bindings and or any custom p[programming you may have.

45 minutes ago, zaphod said:

The Xiaomi MiBox is a pretty good AndroidTV device and it is a 3.5mm audio jack on the back - this jack also does optical audio. Don't know about the direct mini app launch though. They are $69 at Walmart.

I would rate a firetv higher since there is a way to control it via c4 though the MiBox seems cool

Maybe you're right, especially if the rumours are correct and Amazon is about to launch a new FireTV with Alexa capabilities.  They should also put an IR blaster into it and it could really be the heart of your AV system.

The MiBox can be controlled via IR so it should be doable in C4 as long as you can map the buttons.

20 hours ago, C4tune said:

and it has optical out, netflix, HBOGo and Spotify! This is the one! Heading to Target now!

Thanks for the responses. 

Quite the honor to have a question answered by the c4forums famous msgreenf! (genuinely) 

Just a heads-up, C4tune--Amazon has pulled the newest version of the Fire TV from the store as of Sept. 13. A new version will be dropping very, very soon. May be worth waiting to see what it adds before you purchase. You can see the info (and the leaked info of the new one) in the link below. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/13/16302724/amazon-fire-tv-not-for-sale-taken-down

On 9/14/2017 at 8:36 AM, C4tune said:

My Roku runs through an HDMI audio extractor to my HDMI matrix so I can get audio into my 8 zone C4 Amp. Two days ago Netflix and HBOGo started telling me I am having an HDCP error. 

I am looking for a replacement Streaming Box that has direct mini app launch as well as an audio out port (so i don't need to use the audio extractor). The three apps I need are: Netflix, HBOGO, and Spotify. 

Thanks,

Jake

keep in mind what ever you get you will need some kind of converter to get audio to your matrix is analog only. The roku is the best experience in my opinion, and if you  get one of the new control4 matrices they have toslink audio.

Bear in mind the Roku 3's remote has a headphone socket.

I've actually got this sat in my rack, attached to my c4 amp with a 3.5 to twin RCA cable and it works fine.

There's also the volume button combination that allows audio out of both the headphone socket and HDMI at the same time

5 hours ago, Tidyloke said:

Bear in mind the Roku 3's remote has a headphone socket.

I've actually got this sat in my rack, attached to my c4 amp with a 3.5 to twin RCA cable and it works fine.

There's also the volume button combination that allows audio out of both the headphone socket and HDMI at the same time

Tried that. Batteries went very quickly. Picked up the Roku Ultra and had the optical to stereo laying around. Works perfectly! No HDCP problem! 

1 hour ago, C4tune said:

Tried that. Batteries went very quickly. Picked up the Roku Ultra and had the optical to stereo laying around. Works perfectly! No HDCP problem! 

Exactly. To me the Roku is still the nicest integrated option. Personalyl I have no HDCP issue even with audio extraction, but I get not wanting to spend 100 bucks to get a 100 bucks device working - hence me noting that the ultra has optical which would require a cheap device to make it stereo - spend the same, get a brand new updated version of what you have and keep the functionality you know.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, zaphod said:

Maybe you're right, especially if the rumours are correct and Amazon is about to launch a new FireTV with Alexa capabilities.  They should also put an IR blaster into it and it could really be the heart of your AV system.

The MiBox can be controlled via IR so it should be doable in C4 as long as you can map the buttons.

IR blaster for FireTV, Firestick, or any other Android device

IrUSB

Works with Alexa too :)  

Alexa demo vid

Archived