C4 Forums | Control4

alexa integration with control 4 speakers

joepap

One thing I found after doing this for a few days.... msgreenf had me follow instructions to create a group on Alexa for all echos. What I found was this plays whatever you’re asking Alexa to play on all your Alexa devices (as well as the speakers you turned on in your c4 system). Not on all music sources, but when I’m listening to radio, the echo device and the speakers were slightly off causing an echo (no pun intended)

I figured out that no matter what echo/Alexa you’re talking to, you can say, “Alexa, play music on (insert the name of your echo connected to the controller). And bam, none of the other Alexa’s are playing at the same time as your house speakers.

Loving the setup! Listening to more stuff on the speakers then ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a great way. Bt kinda sucks. Airplay isn't an option

Is there a way to use the Echo Dot (3rd gen) to sync to control4 via bluetooth, to avoid having to run a 2nd one back in the rack to run the audio cable in to the matrix? Maybe using Shairbridge?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve never owned an iPhone, only Android, but shortly after having my C4 system installed, I went and bought an iPad specifically to use the Airplay to play to my Shairbridge. Unfortunately, Android doesn’t work with Shairbridge like Apple products do.

I have a few Alexa devices in my house, and I would love to have it setup the way you did this. You purchased an Echo dot and connected it to the C4 Amplifier, like mentioned earlier in this thread? I have my Alexa connected to my C4 system to control some devices, but it’s not setup to play audio through my speakers. If it takes an Echo dot to do this, I’m going to buy one to put in my rack.

On 10/15/2018 at 5:15 PM, blackfiveo1 said:

Is there a way to use the Echo Dot (3rd gen) to sync to control4 via bluetooth, to avoid having to run a 2nd one back in the rack to run the audio cable in to the matrix? Maybe using Shairbridge?

using a Music bridge it has bluetooth and could be used with an alexa in this use. however range will be limited if you got 10ft or more i would be surprised.

but with the alexa play music on X you can now just have a dedicated dot in the rack to stream off of and control it with alexa any where.

Honestly, an echo dot is $40. Why wouldn’t you want to do it ‘right’ for that cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same setup and would like to get more lazy, i mean smarter.  Using EPIC systems Alexa driver.

Currently have echo dot named HOME, connected to C4 AMP.

Echo dot HOME is grouped with Echo dot MASTER (located in master bedroom) via Alexa App music groups, and is called "Upstairs".  I'm grouping the echo's together, because once music starts playing in this group, I can control music commands without using the "... on Upstairs" anymore.  

Currently, when I need to play music, I say "Alexa, Turn on Upstairs Speakers", which turns on the upstairs speakers.  Next command is "Alexa, play XXX on Upstairs"  .  Music starts playing nicely.

What I would like to do is have the music start playing on my first command when I say "Alexa, Turn on Upstairs Speakers." If I could default it to a playlist or something that would be cool.  Preferred music source is Spotify.

Can someone explain how this might be accomplished?

36 minutes ago, joshfromsocal said:

I have the same setup and would like to get more lazy, i mean smarter.  Using EPIC systems Alexa driver.

Currently have echo dot named HOME, connected to C4 AMP.

Echo dot HOME is grouped with Echo dot MASTER (located in master bedroom) via Alexa App music groups, and is called "Upstairs".  I'm grouping the echo's together, because once music starts playing in this group, I can control music commands without using the "... on Upstairs" anymore.  

Currently, when I need to play music, I say "Alexa, Turn on Upstairs Speakers", which turns on the upstairs speakers.  Next command is "Alexa, play XXX on Upstairs"  .  Music starts playing nicely.

What I would like to do is have the music start playing on my first command when I say "Alexa, Turn on Upstairs Speakers." If I could default it to a playlist or something that would be cool.  Preferred music source is Spotify.

Can someone explain how this might be accomplished?

you  can use alexa routine. the routine is all programmed in alexa. just be sure to trigger the upstairs commands so control4 will turn on the speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i’m Just reading up on how to get Alexa to play music through my c4 8 zone amp & speakers instead of on the dot itself. I can see some people here have had some success, If someone could explain what I need to do that would really help. I halve the overal concept but knowing specifically where to plug in the echo at the amp/controller would help and a bit of a step by step. 

Amazon Music (and Amazon Music Unlimited) is great on the new Control4 system software.  While now native as a music source, unfortunately you can't control it via Alexa.  I've tried to see if there was a work-around using the Alexa app or the Amazon Music app, but alas it appears there is not.  The Alexa app and Amazon Music app are totally unaware that you are playing Amazon Music through the Control4 controller.  Too bad.  Perhaps Control4 will release an upgrade where you can control all of your music via Alexa through the native music source on the Control4 controller - would only make sense.  Plugging an Echo Dot into your audio matrix as a music source works, but is far from optimal - I constantly have volume issues (for example my phone app or watch wants to limit the output volume and I'm always having to manually turn it up)...

On 11/9/2018 at 12:00 AM, Sleeprequired said:

Hey i’m Just reading up on how to get Alexa to play music through my c4 8 zone amp & speakers instead of on the dot itself. I can see some people here have had some success, If someone could explain what I need to do that would really help. I halve the overal concept but knowing specifically where to plug in the echo at the amp/controller would help and a bit of a step by step. 

needs to programmed as a source on the amp. once done then you would setup routines and voice commands to control power and source selection through your alexa device in the room casting audio to the rack dot to feed the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Living Room dot and a Rack Dot, the living room Dot will receive the command, Alexa play Sirius XM, but I dont want the living room dot to play through its speaker, I just want the rack dot to play(which goes into c4 amp with autosensing to turn on audio in living room. How do I achieve this?

1 hour ago, blackfiveo1 said:

I have a Living Room dot and a Rack Dot, the living room Dot will receive the command, Alexa play Sirius XM, but I dont want the living room dot to play through its speaker, I just want the rack dot to play(which goes into c4 amp with autosensing to turn on audio in living room. How do I achieve this?

Chop is correct above... in the Alexa app you can name your dots.   You can any dot to do something from another dot.   I named my rack for ‘house speakers’ so I say, Alexa, play Christmas music on house speakers. It then plays the music on the rack dot.

Msgreenf set me up. Love it but have a problem. Can anyone help? If I say 2 part commands:

1. Alexa turn on kitchen

2. Alexa play XYZ on rack Dot, it works fine and I get music in my kitchen.  However, if I do a step command:

3. Alexa turn on kitchen and play XYZ on basement dot, I get an error, "sorry I can't find device kitchen echo dot". Follow up mode is enabled for all of my Dots. 

Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA. 

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have the same problem - integration of Alexa dot 3rd generation with Control 4 HC800, runing the latest version of the OS. I have 4 zones amp. + Denon amplifier for the speakers in the living room.

In Alexa app. under devices, all my speakers are shown as TV so I cant play music through them.

I really don't want to use "second dot in the rack solution". Can I program the system in Composer HE so Alexa will somehow recognize my speakers as such and play music through them?

17 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

Either create a voice scene for every music action you want Control4 to fire off, or feed a dot into your control4 audio system. 

Ok, thanks but I still don't know what to do exactly. So, to be more specific, if I want Alex to play some music on my living room speakers what should I do? I mean, I know how to create a lightning scene, but a voice scene...?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.