C4 Forums | Control4

New control4 controllers - EA series

uddinz

So what's the lifecycle look like for the HC-800?  For what I use it for, at home, it serves every need I have (thus far).  But I do like being on the latest OS, simply to get all the new bells and whistles.

Has there been any guidance to when the HC series will go EOS/EOL?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The the controllers have the new UI.  The old controllers have new icons but same overall UI look.

So is the answer yes? The new controllers do in fact have a different UI than the old controllers, but the UI on the old controllers has been updated to look similar to the new UI on the new controllers?

2 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

So is the answer yes? The new controllers do in fact have a different UI than the old controllers, but the UI on the old controllers has been updated to look similar to the new UI on the new controllers?

The controllers have a ribbon UI with new icons.

Old controllers have the same UI with new icons

22 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The controllers have a ribbon UI with new icons.

Old controllers have the same UI with new icons

I wonder if there's any reason why the old controllers won't get the same update? Is that on the roadmap? What OS is on these new controllers?

13 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I wonder if there's any reason why the old controllers won't get the same update? Is that on the roadmap? What OS is on these new controllers?

OS is the same as always, but OSD has new hardware to run on and is Android.

I'd LIKE to see at least the 250 and 800 get the same interface (so that they are ...the same...) I just don't think it's likely unless there is enough noise about it (and it IS building).

Understand that new hardware AND software can't just be 'translated' back into flash on the older gear - it would require a complete rewrite (for older, now 'replaced' controllers)

Flash needed to go and that I'm glad however I would have thought they would used this opportunity to make a transition and introduce both new controllers, new interface, new OSD, new OS etc...  It was the perfect scenario for them to do a transition looking forward. Not that anything is wrong with it, but to take all the positives and go from there.  Trying to support old controllers etc... is going to utilize resources they don't have and keeps things a bit stale.  For those that want new things, they will purchase new; for those that want to maintain their systems, it still works.  Just think they missed a awesome opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, Gene said:

Flash needed to go and that I'm glad however I would have thought they would used this opportunity to make a transition and introduce both new controllers, new interface, new OSD, new OS etc...  It was the perfect scenario for them to do a transition looking forward. Not that anything is wrong with it, but to take all the positives and go from there.  Trying to support old controllers etc... is going to utilize resources they don't have and keeps things a bit stale.  For those that want new things, they will purchase new; for those that want to maintain their systems, it still works.  Just think they missed a awesome opportunity.

Maybe attitude is don't fix what isn't broken.  Coming from Crestron, I can say that "old" interface is far better that the competition.  Most of Crestron gui's I have seen are pretty bad.  Even the very high end installers/programmers the gui is not much better.  Different but not better.  About the same for Savant as well. 

27 minutes ago, am350z said:

I wouldn't say updating icons and changing orientation of icons from circular to horizontal is much of a change in interface or OSD.  Is there any other changes?

Yes, everything behind that 'line' is different as well, ability to load custom backgrounds, ability to have custom icons for driver developers across all driver proxies.

15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I wouldn't suggest it. While the EA1 is very capable in some ways, 1) you CANNOT have other controllers slaved to it if you need it now 2) the same as one but for later...

Well that just burst my bubble as I was hoping to do just that. Any reason why they would limit the EA-1 like that if it suppose to be a lot faster then the HC250, other than to force you to buy a more expensive model?

Right now I have everything running off a HC-250 and haven't had any performance issues. I was hoping to move the HC-250 to my master bedroom TV and then have a little extra juice added from the EA-1 since the price is great with the bundled remote. $1000 + remote for the EA-3 is a big jump from the $600 EA-1 with remote included.

I know in my house, the HC-250 is running the project and there is typically less than 10% of memory free. I had just been waiting a little bit to see what was coming (I sort of figured it was about time for new controllers to be released) before pulling the trigger on a beefy controller.

It has a decent amount of devices in the project, but you can certainly see why it was meant for only a a couple of rooms.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

I don't go over their pricing and corporate decisions. I thing the EA1 is shorter on memory, so that may be part of it - other than that I can only warn you about the limitation.

I appreciate the warning. I would have probably placed and order and found out the hard way. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, am350z said:

How does the EA-3 compare to HC-800 in terms of processing power? Also, how does the serial connection on the EA-3 work with stereo mini plug?  Never seen that before.

I believe its about 5x more powerful.

Stereo RS232 connections are fairly common these days.

There are some limitations, since it's a 3-wire serial connection, if a device requires hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS), it can't be used by a 3-pin serial, which only includes TX/RX/GND.

One of the nice new features is that for those serial connections, you can change the TX/RX pinout in the software, so you don't have to make RS232 'crossover' cables.

RyanE

15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I believe its about 5x more powerful.

! Err no. Indeed, the 800 may work better than the EA3 - EA has a slower processor (though dual core) and some more memory and RAM. I'd call them about even myself.

Oh and 3.5mm serial has been around for a long time - indeed, it was on the HC250 and the HC200 (both generations) before that.

Just now, Cyknight said:

! Err no. Indeed, the 800 may work better than the EA3 - EA has a slower processor (though dual core) and some more memory and RAM. I'd call them about even myself.

Oh and 3.5mm serial has been around for a long time - indeed, it was on the HC250 and the HC200 (both generations) before that.

cy, was getting the 250 to EA-1 comparison confused there?

Archived