C4 Forums | Control4

New control4 controllers - EA series

uddinz

1 minute ago, therockhr said:

The same stream goes out to each of those connections, correct? Same if you had one Sonos connect where it has 3 connections (optical, coax and stereo).

? No it doesn't - it NEVER has as far back as the original Media Controller and HTC - those outputs are all separate outputs and can stream individual stations on TuneIn, Deezer etc or from your local library.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The attention on the ability to handle 5 audio streams is apparently confusing.   It is obviously just 5 sources to feed a matrix but to many it sounds like 5 zones built in.  It is neat feature but I doubt many will ever need 5 zones playing different feeds.

Also, can the old I/O extender be used with new controllers?

11 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

? No it doesn't - it NEVER has as far back as the original Media Controller and HTC - those outputs are all separate outputs and can stream individual stations on TuneIn, Deezer etc or from your local library.

That is what I was asking.

25 minutes ago, am350z said:

The attention on the ability to handle 5 audio streams is apparently confusing.   It is obviously just 5 sources to feed a matrix but to many it sounds like 5 zones built in.  It is neat feature but I doubt many will ever need 5 zones playing different feeds.

I see this as being quite useful myself. Say a family of 4 or 5, each can in theory have their own AirPlay stream going in their respective rooms via ShairBridge from one controller.

Granted it's not useful to me right now in a house of 2 people, but I certainly have projects I've worked on in the past where this could be put to good use.

5 minutes ago, THawes said:

I see this as being quite useful myself. Say a family of 4 or 5, each can in theory have their own AirPlay stream going in their respective rooms via ShairBridge from one controller.

Granted it's not useful to me right now in a house of 2 people, but I certainly have projects I've worked on in the past where this could be put to good use.

There's nothing to stop you from doing that on a HC-800 now, but the difference is the number of simultaneous streams perhaps?  I'm still being a little dense on this.

2 minutes ago, turls said:

There's nothing to stop you from doing that on a HC-800 now, but the difference is the number of simultaneous streams perhaps?  I'm still being a little dense on this.

No - nothing to stop us from doing this now with an HC-800. It's nothing "new". The EA-5 just has one additional digital output over the HC-800

Oh, and the EA5 plays HD-Audio files..... (and has better sound quality due to DACs and design)

These are a move to re-establish the brand as an audio platform without the need to off load to another brand.

1.  Better sound quailty
  2.  HD Audio support
  3.  Native Streaming Apps

4 Sonos amps + HC800 = $3500

4 Zone matrix + EA5 = $3200

No it doesn't have every streaming service, but for many it's got the ones that matter. (and don't bring up Spotify and their re-up every month PITA)

11 minutes ago, RAV said:

Oh, and the EA5 plays HD-Audio files..... (and has better sound quality due to DACs and design)

These are a move to re-establish the brand as an audio platform without the need to off load to another brand.

1.  Better sound quailty
  2.  HD Audio support
  3.  Native Streaming Apps

4 Sonos amps + HC800 = $3500

4 Zone matrix + EA5 = $3200

No it doesn't have every streaming service, but for many it's got the ones that matter. (and don't bring up Spotify and their re-up every month PITA)

I use Spotify but have used Rhapsody in the past. They are very similar. Problem is I would need SiriusXM and iHeartRadio to move away from the Sonos connect.

6 hours ago, Gene said:

Interesting that the lower cost controller EA-1 comes with a C4 SR-260 remote for MSRP $600.  Great!

I know its all stars and candy in US but what about us European dealers...?

If its gonna be 600USD here i would buy myself one as soon as they are out...

I don't know why US based companies think that we in Europe have higher standards then in US.

Average salary in my country is some 650 USD and its very difficult to push HC250 to customers, let alone HC800...

3 hours ago, 9800pro said:
4 hours ago, THawes said:

No - nothing to stop us from doing this now with an HC-800. It's nothing "new". The EA-5 just has one additional digital output over the HC-800

I don't know why US based companies think that we in Europe have higher standards then in US.

Average salary in my country is some 650 USD and its very difficult to push HC250 to customers, let alone HC800...

Perhaps the wording could have been better - and yes, in my household 5 wouldn't even be enough for what I'd truly want, so there is certainly function there.

29 minutes ago, Kalschjj29 said:

Can I replace my HC-250 (controls 4 rooms) with the EA-1?  I assume so based on the controller comparison page.

I wouldn't suggest it. While the EA1 is very capable in some ways, 1) you CANNOT have other controllers slaved to it if you need it now 2) the same as one but for later...

3 hours ago, 9800pro said:

What's your point?

Yes, prices are higher in europe, but I suspect C4's 'profit' on them is the same/similar - the higher prices are not because Control4 is spiking the price beyond a possible buffer for currency fluctuation. It'll still be cheaper than the HC250 is now....

And Trust me - the CAD is doing a LOT worse than the EUR right now...

6 hours ago, turls said:

Yes, that's the part I don't get but I'm a little rusty so trying to get my mind wrapped around this.  I think maybe this just gives you 5 digital audio zones and they would be additional inputs into your audio matrix over the other sources you already have?

So the EA5 has two analog out two coax digi out and one HDMI out.  

You connect those into your audio matrix or matrix amp and bind them and then away you go....

Think of this as 4-5 sources in one box not 4-5 zones.  You still need an amp.

More sources can be controlled with more sources and more controllers.

50 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

You only have HDMI audio out, no more analog audio out if you use that.

Yeah I use it with my 250.  This was more of an impulse purchase and had my form filled out for purchase but after getting home and realizing my 250 does everything I need and more. I doubt I will upgrade right now.  

@Cyknight, thank you for the insight on the slave configuration.  This is VERY useful information that C4 has not released in any of their support docs, including their FAQ.

35 minutes ago, Kalschjj29 said:

Yeah I use it with my 250.  This was more of an impulse purchase and had my form filled out for purchase but after getting home and realizing my 250 does everything I need and more. I doubt I will upgrade right now.  

@Cyknight, thank you for the insight on the slave configuration.  This is VERY useful information that C4 has not released in any of their support docs, including their FAQ.

Yes they did, they announced it in the release notes. 

EA-1 can be a primary controller, but cannot be a master of other controllers

43 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Looking at the spec on these controllers, it looks like they have a fan to keep them cool.

Could this be a bit noisy in Bedroom ?

It's not bad, it isn't a constant fan (only at 52+ off the top of my head) and even then speed controlled.

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

What's your point?

Yes, prices are higher in europe, but I suspect C4's 'profit' on them is the same/similar - the higher prices are not because Control4 is spiking the price beyond a possible buffer for currency fluctuation. It'll still be cheaper than the HC250 is now....

And Trust me - the CAD is doing a LOT worse than the EUR right now...

If prices will be as stated on Cnet where for UK market (and whole of Europe presumably) EA-1, EA-3, and EA-5 are priced at £400, £667, and £1,333...that would be great.

That is really competitive with AMX and Crestron.

I don't know what prices you have in Canada but here latest msrp prices for HC800 is 2565 USD and HC250 is 1281 USD.

Basically HC250 costs us double the amount of new EA-1 with remote...not something to brag about...

The ea1 is pretty cool for the price with remote. However, is anyone else underwhelmed by the ea5?  It is double the price as the 800 and doesnt seem to be a big upgrade.  The ethernet switching is pointless for most that have dedicated switches.  The 1080p gui is nice.  One more audio source over the 800.  I am sure the ea5 processor is faster but I have never noticed any lag on my system.  Better wifi but I have never had a wifi issue.  Not sure I understand need for high res audio.  Yes the more i/o is nice.

Archived