C4 Forums | Control4

New control4 controllers - EA series

uddinz

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, alanchow said:

I see a lot of people utilise the hc250 for large projects which in my opinion is a big no no.  Those people should really take the opportunity to upgrade to at minimum an EA-3.  The speed difference is definite noticable.

Eg boot time after power outage on a HC controller is approx 5 minutes.  On an EA controller it is approximately 30 seconds to a minute.

So is. 

14 zigbee switches

3 sr250

1 8 pack din dimmer

DMX controller with 24 loads. 

AVR

TiVo

POPbox v8

Roku

SONOS

My movies / synology

Music / 20000 songs / synology

4 zone amp

Wired speaker point

Rhapsody / tune in / Pandora native 

Mockupancy

Too big?

I was getting ready to buy an HC800 (got the quote monday) and then I see these new controllers announced. Should I go with the 800 or get one of the new ones. ? I am not really concerned with the digital audio sources, I will have 7 Yale locks, 21 lightswitchs and hopefully a link to a alarm system, cameras and garage door openers. I am also considering a matrix switch.

Are the new controllers missing anything that was in the 800?

Thanks

I'd also recommend the new controllers now that they're available.  Don't get me wrong, the HC800 is a fantastic controller, and it's what I still use at my house.

The new controllers are built with future capabilities in mind.  They should work better *now*, and be current for much longer than the HC series controllers.

An example of that is the onscreen.  The EA series controllers are based on Android, so the UI they present is the future interface going forward.  The HC series controllers' onscreen display is a Flash-based interface.  It will work fine in an existing system, and likely will be kept updated for bug fixes, etc., but future features are not as likely to be implemented on the Flash codebase.

The other advantage of the EA series controllers is their video output is 1080p, as opposed to 720p for the HC series controllers.

The EA-5 also gives you more headroom over the HC-800.  It's going to allow for larger projects in the future.  As you may have noticed, projects and drivers continue to get more complicated, and having additional headroom means you won't have to go back and update later (or at least as soon).

RyanE

3 hours ago, SMHarman said:

So is. 

14 zigbee switches

3 sr250

1 8 pack din dimmer

AVR

TiVo

POPbox v8

Roku

SONOS

My movies / synology

4 zone amp

Wired speaker point

Mockupancy

Too big?

I would say that you would be close to maxing out the resources of the controller.

if this is a system you're designing I would just go for an ea3.

if it is already commissioned I would just out the load average of the system at idle and when it is under heavy usage.

13 hours ago, SMHarman said:

So is. 

14 zigbee switches

3 sr250

1 8 pack din dimmer

AVR

TiVo

POPbox v8

Roku

SONOS

My movies / synology

4 zone amp

Wired speaker point

Mockupancy

Too big?

correct me if i am wrong those with HE

but you may be able to check your controllers resource use under tools system diaganostics

this has really got to be pushing it

correct me if i am wrong those with HE

but you may be able to check your controllers resource use under tools system diaganostics

this has really got to be pushing it

I'll take a look in HE when I am home but it works great.

The native Pandora driver pushed it right to the limit though.

Dealer rec is to remove SONOS driver short term.

Mid term sell SONOS and the 250 for an ea3.

Running an HC800 right now, with a slave 300 for some more IRs, have 8x8 HDMI Matrix, 4 audio zones, alarm, 15 lights, door lock, garage doors..

Really I see NOTHING that makes me want the EA-5? Better audio quality? EVerything i have now sounds great... What am I missing? Does EA-5 come with ComposerPro built in? Tell me SOMETHING that makes me want to upgrade

35 minutes ago, blackfiveo1 said:

Running an HC800 right now, with a slave 300 for some more IRs, have 8x8 HDMI Matrix, 4 audio zones, alarm, 15 lights, door lock, garage doors..

Really I see NOTHING that makes me want the EA-5? Better audio quality? EVerything i have now sounds great... What am I missing? Does EA-5 come with ComposerPro built in? Tell me SOMETHING that makes me want to upgrade

I said the same thing. Only advantage I see is that if C4 has the streaming service you want you could potentially eliminate Sonos. That's about it. The OSD also moved away from flash so there may be some back end improvements there as well, but nothing of note for the end user.

They should be focused on taking parts of the configuration and installation of the system out of Composer Pro and into the Control4 app so that the end user can do more basic tasks without the need for a dealer. There is no reason that C4 branded dimmers, thermostats, door locks and contact sensors should need a dealer or Composer Pro. Lots of companies are able to do this already.

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

They should be focused on taking parts of the configuration and installation of the system out of Composer Pro and into the Control4 app so that the end user can do more basic tasks without the need for a dealer. There is no reason that C4 branded dimmers, thermostats, door locks and contact sensors should need a dealer or Composer Pro. Lots of companies are able to do this already.

Agree 100%.  Welcome to the "Why won't Control4 license Composer Pro to power users?" debate.

The simple answer is "to protect a revenue stream for the dealer". ;)

C4 does allow more access than their primary competitors, but that is of little comfort to those of us that have already put their head in the C4 noose.

6 hours ago, blackfiveo1 said:

Better quality audio, you may see some performance increase, OSD is much nicer if you use it - but why were you expecting to jump onto a new controller by default the moment it comes out? Unless you're thinking along the lines of the newest iPhone/iPad/Andoid whichever - in that case, there's no more or less (probably more actually) reason to upgrade an HC800 to an EA5 right this moment than an iPhone6 to 6s or iPad Air2 to Air3.

The EA series WILL continue to function past the HC series controller's lifespan - and if you wait you'll be in the situation of "but should I update now - what if a newer controller comes out". JUST like iOS 10 may not function on the 4s to 5s/c anymore.

No-one here's telling you to dump your HC800's/HC250's - unless you have current issues/failing devices. For example if you're running an HC250 now and your system is slow - it's a good time to upgrade to an EA3.

Your system, from what you post, is a VERY small system with an HC800 being overkill already - so yeah, you're not going to gain much by an EA5.

Control4 isn't a gadget you 'need' to replace every 6-9 months - it's intended usage span is counted in years - why freak out about that fact?

16 hours ago, Cyknight said:

No-one here's telling you to dump your HC800's/HC250's - unless you have current issues/failing devices. For example if you're running an HC250 now and your system is slow - it's a good time to upgrade to an EA3.

Control4 isn't a gadget you 'need' to replace every 6-9 months - it's intended usage span is counted in years - why freak out about that fact?

This really sums it up, I think. Control4 isn't meant to be a disposable commodity every couple of years. I know of several systems that are still running on a Media Controller. Why? Because they work great managing the lighting and remote control features, and the customer is happy, so why screw with it?

I'm in the camp of "my system was great on an HC-250, but now I need more power". My project has gone from controlling a small apartment to running an entire house last year and while it can keep up, it is clearly at its limit. So, I'll be taking this opportunity to jump up to an EA-3 instead of an HC-800 (or maybe an EA-5, but not likely) which give me more than enough resources for my system.

It may not be apparant now but I am sure eventually it will be evident as to the differences between the HC800 and the EA5.  You might have noticed a trend in Control4 where they alternate major hardware release and software release every year or so.  By staggering the release this gives them time to work on the next latest and greatest.

• 1 month later...
On February 3, 2016 at 3:22 PM, RAV said:

Also, you can keep the HC250/800 in your system running zigbee server&co-ordinator, which leaves more processing power open on the EA3/5. (assuming proper network to handle the traffic)

Tried that, but the Zigbee was way better through the EA5, so I just made the 800 a slave

1 hour ago, pkkaiser said:

Tried that, but the Zigbee was way better through the EA5, so I just made the 800 a slave

Honestly - the EA5 is so much faster in these functions, it's best to leave all that on the main processor. If anything, offload navigator from the main, MAYBE digitize sources through the 800.

It is NOT by default a good idea to put 'other' main system processes on secondary controllers - it can be in specific situation, but 'more' is not 'better' as such.

On 2/1/2016 at 5:45 PM, SMHarman said:

I'll take a look in HE when I am home but it works great.

The native Pandora driver pushed it right to the limit though.

Dealer rec is to remove SONOS driver short term.

Mid term sell SONOS and the 250 for an ea3.

i am seeing several system with hc250's being overwhelmed with the new media services its really shows its age here.

not a bad plan, or you could use the hc250 in anther room for more control.

I've got two HC800s. One director and one slave. The slave currently does Zigbee and OSD. I have been thinking of putting in an EA5 to replace the director. Reading the above, am I correct in saying I should have my dealer move Zigbee to the director once it is an EA5. If I do that, what (if anything) does my slave HC800 do apart from being a very expensive OSD?

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I've got two HC800s. One director and one slave. The slave currently does Zigbee and OSD. I have been thinking of putting in an EA5 to replace the director. Reading the above, am I correct in saying I should have my dealer move Zigbee to the director once it is an EA5. If I do that, what (if anything) does my slave HC800 do apart from being a very expensive OSD?

IR, Serial, Audio outputs, audio inputs, contacts, relays. Also potential ZAP (not coordinator). ^_^

Yes, in my experience, offloading major processes that are central to the system's communication to other controllers is not ideal and should be kept on the main controller if at all possible. This also is C4's 'default' recommendation.

In the end, this is something to be judged case by case as their may well be specific reasons to not follow that general rule - indeed I've done so often enough - so it's in no way a definitive answer.

One common exception is that a secondary controller is located better for ZigBee communication (and multiple ZAPs is also NOT, very much NOT, by default 'better').

One common mistake I see by many dealers is the stance that just throwing 'more' at somethings will make things 'better'.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

One common mistake I see by many dealers is the stance that just throwing 'more' at somethings will make things 'better'.

Oh man! so you mean don't sell a customer with 4 way switches, we are not supposed to sell them 4 Dimmers to control 1 load?!?!?!?! The things i have seen

26 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

Oh man! so you mean don't sell a customer with 4 way switches, we are not supposed to sell them 4 Dimmers to control 1 load?!?!?!?! The things i have seen

LOL, something like that is the least of things.

Had one where there were 8 zones of audio and he was quoted an audio matrix, an 8 zone matrix amp AND 8 speaker points....:blink:

At least you COULD setup those 4 dimmers to work.....

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Had one where there were 8 zones of audio and he was quoted an audio matrix, an 8 zone matrix amp AND 8 speaker points....:blink:

How is that.... wait what.... why.....

I think the best one i have had was this customer had terrible zigbee and the original dealer kept throwing zigbee extender dimmers keypads one after anther at it. Walked in looked at the back of the hc800 guess what was missing!

took 5 dimmers 2 extenders, 1 thermostat, and one very late antenna to make one Sr250 work.

Archived