C4 Forums | Control4

New control4 controllers - EA series

uddinz

http://investor.control4.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=951657

http://www.cnet.com/products/control4-ea-series-entertainment-and-automation-controller/

The Control4 EA-1 Bundle with Control4 SR-260 remote ( $600 US MSRP), Control4 EA-3 ( $1000 US MSRP), and Control4 EA-5 ($2000 US MSRP) all come with the latest Control4 Operating System 2.8.1, and are compatible with Android and iOS mobile devices including the Apple Watch, and are backed by a standard two-year warranty

Here is a blurb from a press release on the EA-5

For the ultimate smart home experience featuring the highest quality audio and sufficient processing power to automate large homes that require connectivity from scores to hundreds of smart devices, Control4 developed the new EA-5 entertainment and automation controller. The whole family can browse massive music libraries, distribute high-resolution music and control 4K video throughout the house, power and automate sophisticated home theaters, set up and manage complex interior and exterior lighting scenes, integrate with sophisticated security and communications systems, and control climate in multiple zones. The EA-5 features five independent audio outputs— HDMI, two Digital Coaxial, and two RCA stereo analog outputs with an audiophile-grade signal-to-noise ratio of 118dB, as well as an integrated five-port Ethernet switch, 2.4 and 5 GHz dual-band MIMO WiFi capabilities, plus eSATA and USB ports for connecting local music and movie storage devices. The EA-5 ensures a reliable ZigBee wireless connection to smart home devices such as thermostats, door locks, doorbells, cameras, security panels, sensors, lighting, shading, garage door controllers, irrigation systems, and so much more.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On top of wireless improvements, Control4’s new controllers are more powerful than their predecessors. The EA-3, for example, is five times faster than the nearly-comparable HC250, according to the company.

Android based!

I was able to see the presentation video, pictures and training yesterday night when the info leaked... Everything looks great, but I could not find any information saying that we can use keep the HC-800 as primary controller and use the EA1 as slave/secondary. I cant think of a reason why it would not work, but who knows...

Excited about the new products!

10 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

Anyone seen any screenshots of the new Android based UI?  Is it any different?

the update is out for Android app.  It has a new TV icon and new icons in the Watch area...

You will also be able to have shortcuts right to TV services

45 minutes ago, mallom said:

I was able to see the presentation video, pictures and training yesterday night when the info leaked... Everything looks great, but I could not find any information saying that we can use keep the HC-800 as primary controller and use the EA1 as slave/secondary. I cant think of a reason why it would not work, but who knows...

Excited about the new products!

You can.

From the article: "Everyone seems to like the strategy – dealers and consumers at least – but not so much the stockholders, who seem to be getting bored with the slow and steady growth of the company."

The controllers are just more of the same. Updated and nicer, but still more of the same. Unless they introduce something like an app based tool for the end user to add and configure certain devices themselves then continue to see the stock slide.

If this is their direction they need to go back to a private company.

Good thing i just bought an 800:rolleyes:. My timing is always off!  I cant see how the ea5 would benefit me over the 800 other than being faster.  However, still excited they are innovating and releasing new products.  Now get back to the driver develoment !  

31 minutes ago, am350z said:

Good thing i just bought an 800:rolleyes:. My timing is always off!  I cant see how the ea5 would benefit me over the 800 other than being faster.  However, still excited they are innovating and releasing new products.  Now get back to the driver develoment !  

They havent stopped driver development, and this release showcases that with direct access to services like netflix on supported third party devices like Roku. After this release you'll see more drivers updated on this new framework.

Hopefully, they do cater the controllers for the mass market so that more and more homes are automated and within the reach (budgetary wise). Brands like Vera and Fibaro are growing and reaching out to the mass market exponentially. If their 3  Controllers are tiered and catered to target different target audience & verticals, then that would be great. :)

27 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

yeah, i agree - they haven't stopped driver development at all - they are doing more if it!

I guess not just slow and I happen to have issues.  2.8 released in Oct and still no driver for their "certified partner" Honeywell.  I know it is in beta.  Also, the Jandy IP driver has known issues they have chosen not to address.  Don't get me wrong though, I am very pleased thus far with C4.  Very excited about the direct access support.

4 minutes ago, zaphod said:

That is great - where can I find a list of all C4 drivers?

You cant.  Another complaint.  Only way is to get a hold of a copy of Composer Pro or search here on the forum.  Fortunately, the guys here are great at helping and excellent ambassadors for C4!

5 hours ago, onesunnyday said:

intersting to know what you need to do if you need to audio more than 5 zones?

Yes, that's the part I don't get but I'm a little rusty so trying to get my mind wrapped around this.  I think maybe this just gives you 5 digital audio zones and they would be additional inputs into your audio matrix over the other sources you already have?

5 hours ago, am350z said:

Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the major difference for an end user that already has a HC-800 over the EA line is that the Navigator being pumped out over HDMI will be Android instead of Flash.  But the problem is there still aren't enough Android apps to take the place of the majority of Flash apps I use...

4 minutes ago, turls said:

Yes, that's the part I don't get but I'm a little rusty so trying to get my mind wrapped around this.  I think maybe this just gives you 5 digital audio zones and they would be additional inputs into your audio matrix over the other sources you already have?

Mhh the EA5 just has 5 ways of sending out audio from connections - 2 stereo, 2 digital coax and HDMI. Additional streams as usual means additional controllers.

3 minutes ago, turls said:

Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the major difference for an end user that already has a HC-800 over the EA line is that the Navigator being pumped out over HDMI will be Android instead of Flash.  But the problem is there still aren't enough Android apps to take the place of the majority of Flash apps I use...

There are NO android 'apps' basically.

The EA is more powerful and so on, but yes there are no specific advantage of getting an EA5 over an EXISTING 800 when it comes to new functions other than the new/improved OSD.

6 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Mhh the EA5 just has 5 ways of sending out audio from connections - 2 stereo, 2 digital coax and HDMI. Additional streams as usual means additional controllers.

The same stream goes out to each of those connections, correct? Same if you had one Sonos connect where it has 3 connections (optical, coax and stereo).

Archived