C4 Forums | Control4

SUGGESTIONS FOR HOME NETWORK

rf9000

Guys,

Looking for some suggestions on equipment to go with when creating a new home network and WIFI network. It would begin with my service provider's cable internet box, then what? In my system now, I have the service provider's cable box---> Netgear ProSafe FVS336G---> Netgear 48 port Switch. Then I have all CAT6 lines plugged into that switch including a Cat6 that runs to my TPSLINK Wireless router. This router is used for all my WIFI. So now this would ne a new construction home and  I'm looking for suggestions on what the best setup is now and also suggestions on what to use for those ceiling mount WIFI signal amplifiers (if that is what they are called?)? The ones I usually see are mounted to the ceiling and have a blue light on them. I would like to place a few of these throughout the house so that my WIFI is VERY strong, maybe one even outdoors on the ceiling of my covered patio so that I get decent signal outside too.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks

lots of people on this forum love Unifi for routers, switches and Wifi Amplifers (more appropriately known as Access Points - APs).

Some will steer you towards Pakedge as that is the "certified" C4 solution (C4 owns them)

Others like Luxul.

Ask 5 people and you will get 6 answers.

Install what your dealer knows best and where his/her comfort level is because they are building and supporting it.

I have a mix - I have a Mikrotik router (still new and learning it), Cisco switches and Unifi APs.

Just about everyone will tell you to steer clear of consumer big box store stuff from Netgear, Apple, Linksys, Trendnet, etc.  Not to say all of their stuff is bad but just in general to steer clear.

C4 also recommends using unmanaged switches vs managed switches - yet lots of people on this forum have managed switches and they just dumb them down.

Also, please help me out with some general Unifi questions. So I would have cable box from service provider --> Unifi 48 Port POE Switch--->??

If I wanted to stay with all Unifi products, would I need a central Unifi router? Are do these provide WIFI? Then how do the ceiling mounted units work with the router? Do I run a Cat6 to each ceiling mount location too? And if so, do the ceiling mount units plug directly into the router or the 48 port switch?

10 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Also, please help me out with some general Unifi questions. So I would have cable box from service provider --> Unifi 48 Port POE Switch--->??

Cable Modem <----> Router (Unifi USG, for example) <----> Switch <-----> Everything else (including Access Points)

If I wanted to stay with all Unifi products, would I need a central Unifi router? Are do these provide WIFI? Then how do the ceiling mounted units work with the router?

You need a router; it doesn't have to be unifi.  Lots of people use their AP's only.

What you've probably got now is a router/wifi in one device.  That's not how the Unifi devices are going to work.  You'll have the router to do routing only, and then the AP's will just be on your network and provide access to wifi clients.

Do I run a Cat6 to each ceiling mount location too? And if so, do the ceiling mount units plug directly into the router or the 48 port switch?

Yes, to the switch.  The router really only has one LAN port on it, and you'll plug that into the switch.

Also with Unifi, you'll need to have a controller somewhere.  Right now, you probably log into your router to change settings, but with Unifi, there is a central piece of software that controls everything (USG, switch, AP's).  You can run the controller directly on a computer, or you can get a Unifi Cloud Key - it's basically a little linux appliance on which the controller software runs.  When you need to get into the settings, you go to the controller, and it communicates the settings to all of your Unifi equipment.

50 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Install what your dealer knows best and where his/her comfort level is because they are building and supporting it.

But at the end of the day, this.  If you're comfortable owning the network performance, use whatever you want, but if you're going to rely on your dealer to manage and troubleshoot, let them sign off on the equipment.  

I am one of the folks that likes Unifi.  You don't need a 48 port PoE switch.  You pay a large premium for PoE switches and you probably only need about 4-5 powered ports at most - one for each Access Point (AP).  But if you have any interest in having cameras then you may also want to have enough PoE ports to also supply cameras as it often makes sense to use PoE for cameras.  So you could get by with an 8 or 16 port PoE switch plus another switch that is non-PoE.

Unifi also has outdoor access points - I have one on my pool cabana.  It manages to survive Canadian outdoor weather with temperatures from about -22C to +35C.

Something like this for the 16 port POE Switch?: US-16-150W

But that switch is managed. It seems most Unifi switches are managed. Is there a better choice for a 16 port POE switch to use with the Unifi Router and Access Points? Also, if I have a 16 port POE switch and another 24 port non POE Switch, how are they connected to the router if only one LAN port?

44 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Something like this for the 16 port POE Switch?: US-16-150W

But that switch is managed. It seems most Unifi switches are managed. Is there a better choice for a 16 port POE switch to use with the Unifi Router and Access Points? Also, if I have a 16 port POE switch and another 24 port non POE Switch, how are they connected to the router if only one LAN port?

I believe all unifi switches are managed.  If you want unmanaged, you'll have to go with another brand.  Any good switch should do.

The router will connect to one switch and then that switch will connect to the 2nd switch.

I have ATT U-Verse Gateway(Fiber)-> Asus NT66 Router -> Cisco Small Business 24 port POE Gigabit switch -> Unifi ACPro POE WAP

Disabled Wireless Radios on my Asus and my Att Uverse router

Everything plugs into the switch, the wireless is controlled by the unifi (1) will cover a 3000sq ft house fairly well (1-story). If I had a large setup in the backyard, I would do exactly what you mention in putting one on the back patio. 

This has been very stable for me and I pull about 300-500mbps over my wireless signal, and 900mbps on my wired connections. I have approx 40 connected devices on the network

12 minutes ago, blackfiveo1 said:

I have ATT U-Verse Gateway(Fiber)-> Asus NT66 Router -> Cisco Small Business 24 port POE Gigabit switch -> Unifi ACPro POE WAP

Do you run double nat behind the U-verse and Asus routers, or did you put the Asus in the U-verse’s DMZ?

It hasn’t caused us any problems, but it annoys me that we’ve got to have 2 gateways. 

yes it was a hassle. I set the Uverse Router up in passthrough mode and let the Asus pull the public IP and handle all the DHCP for my network. I set the Uverse Router to 192.2 and my network is 192.1. I have the ARRIS BGW210-700 Gateway (which i was told last week is the latest fiber hardware they offer)gateway.JPG.5165ee043ea314b67051b01d152e1a22.JPG

I believe all unifi switches are managed.  If you want unmanaged, you'll have to go with another brand.  Any good switch should do.
The router will connect to one switch and then that switch will connect to the 2nd switch.

Planet make good cheap 24 port fast unmanaged switches with a robust backplane

C4 approved as well

13 hours ago, CFUG said:

I'm somewhat amazed that there is no mention of those using threat management appliances.  Many double as very capable routers/DHCP servers and WiFi integrators.

Because if your router is properly setup, the firewall onboard should protect the internal LAN from the majority of attacks.  These are homes, not Fortune whatever companies with sensitive information.

My house is new construction with all Ethernet terminating in the master closet.  

I installed a rack and all UniFi:

-24 port Poe 500w switch*

-USG-Pro-4 security gateway*

-a couple UniFi switches throughout the house 

- ac shd access point on the ceiling upstairs

-ac in Wall Pro downstairs 

- cloudkey controller 

- using att fiber 1000/1000 but I bypassed the RG using a simple script that sends all authentication traffic to the RG so it thinks it’s connected while I’m directly connected to the ONT.  My USG has the ipv4 and ipv6 /128 address.  

You can also bypass the RG by simply utilizing a vlan swap.

*if you’re installing UniFi and the model you select has a fan, consider taking them apart and replacing them with noctura fans to keep things quiet.  My switch and router were super loud until I changed the fans.  Instead of 2 fans in my switch, I know have 4 and it’s whisper quiet and cooler. 

You can also upgrade the memory on the USG-Pro to 4-8gb.

• 1 year later...

I use Unifi on nearly every project. I use a USG, Cloud Key, UAP-Nano WAPs and whatever switch you want.

Recently they released the "Dream Machine" which is actually what I have been hoping for for quite some time. It basically takes all the complexity of the physical installation out of the equation. Basically looks so easy to do now anyone could do it.

https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-dream-machine

If you need more Wi-Fi just add a NanoHD to where you need it.

I personally havent used one yet but I will be checking out the dream machine very soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.