C4 Forums | Control4

Do I need Video Distribution?

bdo21

I am planning a C4 installation for a new house. We are not big TV watchers - we are planning two TVs and a projector system in three different rooms. We have Kaleidescape but do not today use Sky (we are in the UK) - we just use free to air satellite channels and on demand services (currently just using apps on the TV rather than Roku, Apple TV or anything else).

I was debating whether to use a video distribution system or just have Kaleidescape M300s for each TV which is presumably less costly and simpler?

If we ended up in the future having Sky, we could use Sky Q with the additional mini room boxes like we use the M300s or could always swap to a video distribution system in the future if we wanted to?

Is there anything I would be missing without video distribution?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you.  I think I'm going to opt-out of video distribution for my new construction project - at least initially.  I have 4 TV's and watch mostly Dish Network sources as well as Xbox for Plex.  The cost of video distribution is really the deciding factor for me; especially since video standards and such are constantly evolving meaning your matrix hardware (or baluns, etc) *may* be obsolete in a year.  Even though I likely won't be installing video distribution initially, I will pre-wire for it just in case I want to add it later.  By this, I mean I'll run a pair of CAT6(a)/possibly fiber from my central racks back to each TV location.

Some here will also say that it doesn't make sense to deploy C4 without video distribution, since it can take the "one single source of control" away from the system, but I think C4 will still be powerful without it.  I'll be using C4 for audio distribution (WHA), automation, lighting, etc.  My main upstairs TV viewing area will have a local AVR and video sources.  I'll probably try to centralize all of the sources for my basement TV viewing area with the rest of my gear in the rack(s) due to the close proximity between racks and the viewing area.  I suppose this will allow me to use a C4 remote for total control of this "zone." 

15 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I'm in the same boat as you.  I think I'm going to opt-out of video distribution for my new construction project - at least initially.  I have 4 TV's and watch mostly Dish Network sources as well as Xbox for Plex.  The cost of video distribution is really the deciding factor for me; especially since video standards and such are constantly evolving meaning your matrix hardware (or baluns, etc) *may* be obsolete in a year.  Even though I likely won't be installing video distribution initially, I will pre-wire for it just in case I want to add it later.  By this, I mean I'll run a pair of CAT6(a)/possibly fiber from my central racks back to each TV location.

Some here will also say that it doesn't make sense to deploy C4 without video distribution, since it can take the "one single source of control" away from the system, but I think C4 will still be powerful without it.  I'll be using C4 for audio distribution (WHA), automation, lighting, etc.  My main upstairs TV viewing area will have a local AVR and video sources.  I'll probably try to centralize all of the sources for my basement TV viewing area with the rest of my gear in the rack(s) due to the close proximity between racks and the viewing area.  I suppose this will allow me to use a C4 remote for total control of this "zone." 

just runt he cables - that is a good investment.  If you don't run enough cable, you have no easy way to ever change your mind in the future.

@bdo21 depends on the number of users and required sources. Those Kplayers are very expensive. And if you only need a total of 2 to share between the 4 video zones the video matrix may not be that different in cost. If you already have 1 kplayer and need 3 more @2k each without using a matrix. You could get 1 more plus an 8x8 matrix. Recently hearing good stuff from no hassle switches which would be cheaper and you still have 6 more inputs to share 

Are you doing any multi room audio you only listed video needs?

@LollerAgent depends on the floorplan and if those video zones are within earshot of eachother and if you want the same content playing because the same channel on 2 different sat boxes will not be in sync. Also depends on your multi room audio requirements. I am a fan of video distribution because it gives you a lot more options in each room but it is a luxury item and you pay for the convenience

[mention=135266]bdo21[/mention] depends on the number of users and required sources. Those Kplayers are very expensive. And if you only need a total of 2 to share between the 4 video zones the video matrix may not be that different in cost. If you already have 1 kplayer and need 3 more @2k each without using a matrix. You could get 1 more plus an 8x8 matrix. Recently hearing good stuff from no hassle switches which would be cheaper and you still have 6 more inputs to share 
Are you doing any multi room audio you only listed video needs?

Thanks for all the replies. We are planning multiroom audio - I was planning to use C4 equipment for this.

We have an M300 for one room and could use our M700 for the projector screen (which is next door to the server room anyway) so it would just need one more M300.

Thank you

Hello,

With regards to tv distribution I’d put the cables in just incase and that way it’s there for when you do want to use them. My personal preference to each tv is and I do this on all jobs:-

-2 or 3 Cat 6
- 1 Cat 6a
- 1 Coax
- 1 fiber

With TV distribution I’ve been going down the route of HD Over IP more than HDbaseT Matrix’s, my personal preference is Wyrestorm

With the cables I leave around 2m on the end rolled up these can the be directly plugged into devices rather than having a wall plate and couplers as the more breaks you have in you cables it’s just another point of failure. At a bare minimum I put in 3 cat 6 and 1 coax will but things are moving towards fiber now as 4K and possibly 8K comes into market more and more

With audio distribution the control4/triad stuff is great. My personal setup for this is, 2x 8 Zone triad power amps, with 24 source audio matrix, the inputs I have:-

- 2 Analogue Audio from EA5
- VIrgin Media Box
- Sky Box
- 2 Amazon fire TVs
- 4 zone Nad audio streamer
- 4 rooms have a local audio input

And I still have plenty of zones to add to if I need to in the future.

Let me know if you need any more help
Muj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 3 rooms with TV and looked at sorting a matrix - But is just cheaper to buy a few Amazon players - Sky Q is simple and for Movies we have a NAS drive with My Movies.dk Driver and a few Media players - Dune/PCH. 

Some cat5/6 and odd Balun making life easy. 

Good luck not easy decision 

Love my video matrix. Everything just works every time... and I have a couple of everything (Apple TVs, Dunes, satellite TVs) feeding the matrix, so if a box dies - as happened to my satellite TV, I can use the second box while the first box gets fixed.  I don’t even notice the issue (albeit, the kids can’t watch a different satellite channel from what we are watching for a few days... but hey they are kids)...

Not cheap though...

Was on the fence 3 years ago about doign video distribution and now I am so glad that I did. Once its setup it truly is brilliant. I am slowly outgrowing 1080p and will have to upgrade, but in all fairness 4k was already out 3 years ago when I spec'd it but there was zero content, now there is actually content.

With that many TVs (4 on dish) someone said, thats probably 20-30$ extra per month. Not that, it would ever add up to the cost of a video distrbution system but there is some RETURN for needing less hardware.

I have 4 TVs, 1 projector, so 5 outputs.

2 Apple TVs, 1 DirectTV box, 1 xbox, 1 nvr camera, 1 kodi box setup as my inputs.

5 hours ago, blackfiveo1 said:

Was on the fence 3 years ago about doign video distribution and now I am so glad that I did. Once its setup it truly is brilliant. I am slowly outgrowing 1080p and will have to upgrade, but in all fairness 4k was already out 3 years ago when I spec'd it but there was zero content, now there is actually content.

With that many TVs (4 on dish) someone said, thats probably 20-30$ extra per month. Not that, it would ever add up to the cost of a video distrbution system but there is some RETURN for needing less hardware.

I have 4 TVs, 1 projector, so 5 outputs.

2 Apple TVs, 1 DirectTV box, 1 xbox, 1 nvr camera, 1 kodi box setup as my inputs.

What do you use for Video distribution? You say "will have to upgrade"..so I assume you have used an 1080p HDMI matrix..

Can you not see that this is one (of the many) problems of an HDMI matrix based video distribution set up? (By that I mean an "all in one" matrix HDMI switch.)

Some of those problems being:

1/ Need to completely replace matrix as video formats evolve and improve in quality

2/ The invariable cost of that upgrade...

That is why if I ever put in (another) HDMI based central video distribution system (and yes I once had a matrix switch variety - but removed it) I would next time use JAP..

Just my 2C. 

W

On 21/03/2018 at 4:50 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

Love my video matrix. Everything just works every time... and I have a couple of everything (Apple TVs, Dunes, satellite TVs) feeding the matrix, so if a box dies - as happened to my satellite TV, I can use the second box while the first box gets fixed.  I don’t even notice the issue (albeit, the kids can’t watch a different satellite channel from what we are watching for a few days... but hey they are kids)...

Not cheap though...

you said it.. :) 

On 21/03/2018 at 7:22 AM, therockhr said:

My personal opinion but I think matrix video distribution in residential applications is only needed in complex, large installations. Less than 5 rooms and I wouldn't even consider it.

my sentiment precisely.. 

Run the cables. Cat 6 x 2-3 and rg6 at minimum. Consider duct smurf tube.

If you don't matrix what are your local source placement options. Behind TV. In a consol what works there

Sound. Ss zones vs room speakers vs TV speakers

Sources you watch and how often you switch viewing rooms while watching the same source.

For the OP it sounds unnecessary. 3 video spaces. One that should get its own dedicated equipment in the theater to avoid audio and video signals being pushed to lower quality.

Remember even with local sources. They are still controllable by a c4 system.

5 hours ago, SMHarman said:

Run the cables. Cat 6 x 2-3 and rg6 at minimum. Consider duct smurf tube.

If you don't matrix what are your local source placement options. Behind TV. In a consol what works there

Sound. Ss zones vs room speakers vs TV speakers

Sources you watch and how often you switch viewing rooms while watching the same source.

For the OP it sounds unnecessary. 3 video spaces. One that should get its own dedicated equipment in the theater to avoid audio and video signals being pushed to lower quality.

Remember even with local sources. They are still controllable by a c4 system.

Superb advice. 100% agree.. 

Archived