C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa - more than lights and stats?? 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of earlier today, you do not need to have your dealer install the Voice Scenes driver.

The announcement has not gone out yet, but Control4 has updated the Alexa support.

The Voice Scene driver should be automatically added to your project (and automatically updated if it was already there), and new and exiting functionality is now available for Alexa (check your customer.control4.com account).

More official details will be out shortly, I expect.

RyanE

When will Control4 be able to tell which Alexa device (And hence which room) the command is coming from, and therefore what "lights" to turn on, or what "TV" to turn on. ?

The workarounds to make this happen are far to cumbersome, and the alternative (Alexa turn on the "ground floor bathroom lights"), is just a non starter.....

Or am I completely missing something? 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, Shivam Paw said:

You can get the free Alexa driver. Your dealer should know about it. If not pm me or any of the remote dealers on here 🙂 

This setup requires 4Sight. The Epic Driver doesn't require 4sight.

1 hour ago, RobbieF said:

When will Control4 be able to tell which Alexa device (And hence which room) the command is coming from, and therefore what "lights" to turn on, or what "TV" to turn on. ?

The workarounds to make this happen are far to cumbersome, and the alternative (Alexa turn on the "ground floor bathroom lights"), is just a non starter.....

I don't think you are missing anything.  In fact, I had accomplished most if not all of what this new feature set includes so I'm not excited.

2 hours ago, RobbieF said:

This is certainly something we'd like to be able to incorporate into Control4's driver, but it's not available through the Alexa API at this point in time.

The Alexa *does* send commands to the previously selected device, so for AV control, if you say 'Turn on Family Room Hopper', then you can just say 'Volume Up', or 'Channel Up', or Change Channel to ESPN', and it'll send those commands to the proper place, without having to say 'Change Channel to ESPN on Family Room Hopper'.  Same goes for 'Mute', 'Pause', 'Play', etc...

Also, the channel selection uses the channel clouds in the current room to find the channel, so if you have multiple sources, it'll look for a matching channel first in the currently selected device's media, and if it's not found there, it'll search channel clouds available to the room, and if it finds a match, it'll change source and channel to that...

RyanE

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

but it's not available through the Alexa API at this point in time.

It's available in Alexa for Business. Perhaps working out a recipe for C4 sites to implement Alexa for Business would be useful. 

5 minutes ago, RyanE said:

This is certainly something we'd like to be able to incorporate into Control4's driver, but it's not available through the Alexa API at this point in time.

The Alexa *does* send commands to the previously selected device, so for AV control, if you say 'Turn on Family Room Hopper', then you can just say 'Volume Up', or 'Channel Up', or Change Channel to ESPN', and it'll send those commands to the proper place, without having to say 'Change Channel to ESPN on Family Room Hopper'.  Same goes for 'Mute', 'Pause', 'Play', etc...

Also, the channel selection uses the channel clouds in the current room to find the channel, so if you have multiple sources, it'll look for a matching channel first in the currently selected device's media, and if it's not found there, it'll search channel clouds available to the room, and if it finds a match, it'll change source and channel to that...

RyanE

Interesting - I didn't know this.  I would assume that Alexa is at scale now, and that multi-room is their next challenge (Assuming this givin the intro of Recipes & Drop In), so fingers crossed that this will come sooner rather than later.  As right now the solution (as a whole) is suffering without this......  

Just now, zaphod said:

Why would they make this available for business but not home users?  This has been one of the most requested features from the early days of Alexa.

Yeah - it’s crazy. When I was researching it last year, I was coming across requests for this from 2016....  surely they could just include the source MAC address, and we could do the mapping on our end to the room?

14 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

Yeah - it’s crazy. When I was researching it last year, I was coming across requests for this from 2016....  surely they could just include the source MAC address, and we could do the mapping on our end to the room?

Hear hear! It’s daft! At least we can bash Amazon this time round 😀

It’s not available for homeowners because business accounts get charged a premium for it, which most likely pays for the overhead that is required for this.

Poop rolls down hill so homeowners will eventually see it, just don’t know when.

33 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

It’s not available for homeowners because business accounts get charged a premium for it, which most likely pays for the overhead that is required for this.

Poop rolls down hill so homeowners will eventually see it, just don’t know when.

this.

Since there is administration and security with Alexa for Business there is overhead and costs that I don't think the typical consumer is ready to face. That said I see absolutely no reason C4 can't support Alexa for Business as the best solution for implementing Alexa with C4. Yes, it would take some training and overhead, but you could literally have Alexa with room and location context today plus voice prints and some extra functionality for skills.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

LED wizard driver is also a useful free one.  Cuts down on programming time if you are working with LEDs / backlights on keypads.

does this work with the latest gen lighting?  I had issues and was told it does not work with the latest gen lights

26 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

does this work with the latest gen lighting?  I had issues and was told it does not work with the latest gen lights

It should work.  I tried it out but prefer changing LED's the original way.  The driver can change a lot of LED's in one line of programming but you can't edit it so you pretty much have to write the whole line again.  The old way might take up more lines but at least you can isolate programming by adding or removing the single lines.

10 minutes ago, dcovach said:

It should work.  I tried it out but prefer changing LED's the original way.  The driver can change a lot of LED's in one line of programming but you can't edit it so you pretty much have to write the whole line again.  The old way might take up more lines but at least you can isolate programming by adding or removing the single lines.

True story! I must say, I program LEDs the original way for just this reason.

But, I program backlights using this driver.  I often change lots of backlights at once and find this very useful. I have options for my dowsntators backlights to be any colour (30 or so backlights and one line of code). 

9 minutes ago, RyanE said:

LED Wizard does work with Gen3.  Light Usage Agent still has some issue with Gen3 (including at my house).

Just haven't had time / desire to look at it.

Sorry.

RyanE

I would LOVE if the Light Usage Agent worked with Gen 3.

27 minutes ago, RyanE said:

LED Wizard does work with Gen3.  Light Usage Agent still has some issue with Gen3 (including at my house).

Just haven't had time / desire to look at it.

Sorry.

RyanE

thats ok - I saw a post from Feb 2017 saying it was updated to work with Gen3 lighting.  I asked probably in 2014 or 2015 when I got my system and at the time the driver did not work with Gen3.  I'll have to see if the old driver works if not I'll ask my dealer to upgrade to the newer version.

Archived