C4 Forums | Control4

TP-Link Kasa questions

Picked up a few of these for various functions the other day based on suggestions from a bunch of you so thanks.

Had 2 questions:

1. Have people used the mini HS105 in a stainless steel landscape lighting enclosure? Bought one to use  for outdoor landscape lights and wondering how it does with the WiFi signal. I know a lot will depend on coverage but just curious about other’s experience.

2. I haven’t had a chance to play around with the Kasa app but it looks like you can set on/off based on sunset/sunrise but looks like an odd way of turning lights on at sunset and off at a specific time I.e. midnight. Looks like some weird setup in the scheduling app to do this. Can the Chowmain driver handle this through C4? Can you see device feedback in the navigator/iPad screen?

Thanks!

Well, just answered my own questions if anyone is interested ;0)

1. Steel landscape lighting transformer box does block some signal but strength is still 2 bars so we'll see how it works. The unit is not too far from my current WAP so once we have the new WAPs installed I guess I'll get a better feel.  It's all 2.4ghz so at least that's a bit stronger signal.

2. It looks like the app was updated and you can set sunset (along with an offset ie 30 minutes before sunset) and then set a different scheduled time off (ie 1 am).  Now let's see if that works. . .

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

Or you could just use a scheduler within Composer.

Prepping for my install shortly so was playing with the Kasa app first. One would need the Chowmain driver installed to do this correct?

Thanks - Still new at this!

5 hours ago, Jakelay said:

Prepping for my install shortly so was playing with the Kasa app first. One would need the Chowmain driver installed to do this correct?

Yes you need to pay for the driver.   If that’s all you need to do then I would just use the TPlink app.    It’s pretty impressive.

5 hours ago, Jakelay said:

Yes would need Chowmain driver. Happy automating!

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Yes

Thanks,  I installed a second one now and really impressed at the simplicity.  The App is pretty good also.   The outlets are binded to wall keypads and so far have worked perfect.   I saw they charge for cloud storage for their cameras so wasnt sure if their was a charge like C4 does for their app.   APpreciated

And the lights turned off as scheduled for anyone keeping score!

Now to set up another outlet and a power strip for my iPads that I’ll be using in locations to see if I want to go with a T3 at some point (and for a stationary way to stream Apple Music via shairbridge so we don’t have to use our phones). Hoping I can set the Kasas to power on and off a few times/day to avoid potential battery swell on the iPads.

if that works, I probably won’t need the C4 integration right now since the Kasa app is very easy to use and my implementation is just set and forget for the most part. I don’t need a lot of control with these use cases.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, joecheech said:

Anybody know how to disable the LED on / off indicator on the HS103?  It's great to have my white noise machine integrated but when it turns on the blue LED is way too bright!

There is an iPhone app (not sure if they have an android version) called Watt. You can enable night mode and it will turn off the white ring all the time. Works quite well, although from what i recall you can only connect to a few devices before you need to purchase a license. For me I only needed to modify 2 lights so it worked perfectly, havent touched it since I configured the two switches. 

9 hours ago, joecheech said:

Anybody know how to disable the LED on / off indicator on the HS103?  It's great to have my white noise machine integrated but when it turns on the blue LED is way too bright!

Light Dims - ready cut stickers for annoying indicator lights.  Different sizes, shapes, opacity %

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLVEQCO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 year later...

Did not want to start another ....

Got 2 TP-Link H103 plug ins. I got these because of some of the positive comments. I just returned them after spending a couple of days watching these things operating at their own will. Select on and after several minutes just decide to turn off. A schedule is but a joke. I know the first thing that will be mentioned is my network.

I have a solid network supporting all the usual devices with no issues. If a cheap little gizmo like the TP-Link plugins puts my network in question .... I got rid of them.

Adding insult to injury I had ordered the 105 model on Amazon and got the 103. Easy return and refund. I guess you get what you pay for !

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

I’ve had a few quirky things happen with mine on very rare occasions. Usually a firmware update or driver update fixed the issue. This was usually just on one unit tied to a floor lamp.

If you received the wrong model number, I wonder if someone sent you a counterfeit or something like that.

Sorry about your experience.

As far as getting a dubious ( counterfeit ) better not be as these where bought directly from Amazon ...... but then again !!!!!

Hopefully off to winter home and will order on US Amazon ( better price anyway ) test and bring north or not.

• 3 months later...

Anyone using the Kasa Light Strips? I have some already around a TV but I would like to use this for some cabinet lighting. Issue is I need to do some cutting and splicing together but it reads like you cant do that although I dont see why you couldnt. Anyone had any experience splicing these https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-lighting/kasa-smart-light-strip-multicolor-kl420l5? Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.