C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendation for smart outlets?

fluid15

As far as I know, C4 doesn't have a smart outlet, only a plug that goes into an outlet.  I've seen a few 'smart' plugs that 'may' integrate with C4 (I heard of one from Blackwire), does any have recommendations, with approx. cost?  My first idea for use is to put one under my bbq island for turning on/off the high pressure misting pump.  I could use a plug but prefer the cleaner install of the outlet itself.  TIA.

How do the Kasa's work? They don't look like wall outlets, so they seem the same (but cheaper) as the C4 ones. 

Do they control directly via Zigbee, or do you need a Kasa hub (or whatever) similar to Hue? 

I keep hoping to see some actual wall outlets that join to the C4 network. Seems like a huge miss to not have those. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

How do the Kasa's work? They don't look like wall outlets, so they seem the same (but cheaper) as the C4 ones. 

Do they control directly via Zigbee, or do you need a Kasa hub (or whatever) similar to Hue? 

I keep hoping to see some actual wall outlets that join to the C4 network. Seems like a huge miss to not have those. 

These are indeed wall outlets - https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-wifi-power-outlet-kp200

Also Amazon has them on special, though you can only order 2 at a time and only 3 times I believe.  Does make me wonder if they have a newer version being released and this is a dump of current stock. 

Anyway, these outlets work amazingly well with Control4, as do their switches which are the best for non-critical areas. 

Great input from everyone, sounds like Kasa is a good option.  My original inquiry was an outlet but if they're a good solution for the outlet (and integrate into C4 with the Chowmain driver)  then I'm going to assume their dimmer/switches are probably a good route for the non-critical areas of my home.  I have C4 lighting throughout our main areas but didn't extend it into my kid's rooms due to cost.  In parallel to the outlet I've been considering setting up some Lutron RA2 Select devices in the kid's rooms and their Jack&Jill bath/shower (& play loft).  But those are still $100+ a dimmer.  The Kasa switches are only ~ $20/each - extremely affordable - can anyone think of a reason to pursue Lutron over Kasa for a kid's area?

Great input from everyone, sounds like Kasa is a good option.  My original inquiry was an outlet but if they're a good solution for the outlet (and integrate into C4 with the Chowmain driver)  then I'm going to assume their dimmer/switches are probably a good route for the non-critical areas of my home.  I have C4 lighting throughout our main areas but didn't extend it into my kid's rooms due to cost.  In parallel to the outlet I've been considering setting up some Lutron RA2 Select devices in the kid's rooms and their Jack&Jill bath/shower (& play loft).  But those are still $100+ a dimmer.  The Kasa switches are only ~ $20/each - extremely affordable - can anyone think of a reason to pursue Lutron over Kasa for a kid's area?

The Kasa KP200 is an in-wall outlet, like you asked about.

For non-critical the dimmer and switch are great! Wouldn’t waste time on the Lutron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, fluid15 said:

For the Kasa wall switch,  I would purchase 1 and try it as it looks like a normal rocker switch but it actually is not a rocker.   It only clicks on the bottom of the switch.  More like a button vs a traditional light / wall switch.   I would personally have no issue in closets, garages but for main rooms I would prefer a traditional rocker switch like the C4 versions.   Really a personal preference of course.

6 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

For the Kasa wall switch,  I would purchase 1 and try it as it looks like a normal rocker switch but it actually is not a rocker.   It only clicks on the bottom of the switch.  More like a button vs a traditional light / wall switch.   I would personally have no issue in closets, garages but for main rooms I would prefer a traditional rocker switch like the C4 versions.   Really a personal preference of course.

yeah, but even the control4 rockers aren't really rockers...as they don't "click" into the top or bottom position.  WIth that said, we have it in Garages, bathrooms, closets...

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I use the chowmain driver. It works well. But tp link is more reliable

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1) How much is the Chowmain driver?

2) With the driver, can you control any of the Kasa devices from a C4 keypad button?  My use case would be using a single button on my C4 keypad to turn on both a switch (for ceiling fan) and misting pump (powered on from smart outlet) at the same time.

47 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

yeah, but even the control4 rockers aren't really rockers...as they don't "click" into the top or bottom position.  WIth that said, we have it in Garages, bathrooms, closets...

3) For the Kasa devices in your home, are any of those areas triggered by an occupancy sensor?  Such as, after no motion for 'x' minutes turn off lights?

1 minute ago, fluid15 said:

1) How much is the Chowmain driver?

2) With the driver, can you control any of the Kasa devices from a C4 keypad button?  My use case would be using a single button on my C4 keypad to turn on both a switch (for ceiling fan) and misting pump (powered on from smart outlet) at the same time.

3) For the Kasa devices in your home, are any of those areas triggered by an occupancy sensor?  Such as, after no motion for 'x' minutes turn off lights?

1) $90 USD

2) yes

3) Yes, I use door sensors, motion sensors etc and the Advanced lighting timers driver

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

I hear you and agree on best uses but with C4 you do have an on at top and off at bottom.   I think most folks would view this as a standard switch format.  The Kasa line is very compelling for sure at that price point, especially outlets.

I went thru this also - had about 9 kasa wall plugs using Chowmain's driver but they were not reliable - the wifi went off line and therefore wouldn't turn on or off devices. Yes I have good wifi signal. I have now used C4 wireless switch pucks which are housed inside an electrical box. I cut a short extension lead in half and drilled 2 small holes in electrical box and wired puck inside. Now I have a reliable switching on all my devices.