C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendation for smart outlets?

fluid15

23 hours ago, garyes said:

I have now used C4 wireless switch pucks which are housed inside an electrical box. I cut a short extension lead in half and drilled 2 small holes in electrical box and wired puck inside. Now I have a reliable switching on all my devices.

That's smart!  Why did I not think of this. 

52 minutes ago, JR2 said:

That's smart!  Why did I not think of this. 

Can't you just buy a TP Link Kasa Wireless Outet strip and bind to C4 with the Chowmain driver?  For like $12 for a single wireless outlet or a strip, not sure what could be easier than that?

I did have a few KASA switches installed a few days ago but haven't used the outlet (explanation below). 

1. Outlet: I didn't use this after all because electrician informed me he had wired the outlet of interest (below BBQ island, for high pressure misting pump) to a switch location in the media closet.  I figure it's easier to use a switch indoors and save the 1 smart outlet I bought for a future use.

2. Dimmer: using this for a sconce outside a door from garage to side-of-house.  It's scheduled for on at night and off in the morning so this is a no-touch use case. 

3. 3-way Loft switches: using this for a 'loft' we're in process of finishing which connects both kid's rooms.  We're going to build ladders for each of them and know they'll be leaving the lights on so easier to have smart switches to shut them off instead of someone climbing back up there.  I already tested with an Amazon Dot in a kid's room and it's simple.

Being a C4 Forum no real highlight here since I haven't integrated into C4 yet.  The point here is that for low-priority areas of a house these seem like a reasonable option at ~ $25/each.  Quality of dimmer is acceptable but certainly lower than C4 and I wouldn't use them as substitute for my main lighting but for auxiliary areas they're fine.  Original intention of smart outlets (not switches) is still of interest and will probably use those behind kid's TVs (we barely have any lamps in the new house).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Alex Bate said:

I see the power strip and the plugs but no Kasa UK wall outlets?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-plug/

If you are meaning the actual outlet itself (like hard-wired), Kasa doesn't make any, just plugins and strips. If you need an actual outlet, I am not sure of any that are directly compatible with Control4, but some may work with the Core controllers using Z-wave. I know a lot of smart outlets use Z-wave, so I would think some would be compatible with the new Core controllers. 

My bad. There are Kasa in-wall outlets in the US. Never seen them before. If there are no UK options, you could still see if a different brand that uses Z-wave would work with a Core controller. 

1 hour ago, BY96 said:

If you are meaning the actual outlet itself (like hard-wired), Kasa doesn't make any, just plugins and strips. If you need an actual outlet, I am not sure of any that are directly compatible with Control4, but some may work with the Core controllers using Z-wave. I know a lot of smart outlets use Z-wave, so I would think some would be compatible with the new Core controllers. 

That's too bad that they don't make a UK version of their US in-wall outlet - we have several and they work very well. Hopefully a version of it gets to the UK soon.

Just now, Dueport said:

That's too bad that they don't make a UK version of their US in-wall outlet - we have several and they work very well. Hopefully a version of it gets to the UK soon.

I stand corrected. I did not realize Kasa made in-wall outlets! I just looked it up and found the KP200. I had never seen that before. 

As I was wrong about any in-wall outlet by them, there may very well be a UK version. 

On 4/7/2024 at 11:22 PM, Alex Bate said:

Is there anything new on this topic?

I'm interested in UK outlets, rather than plugs that can be managed with C4. 

For UK (and EU) outlets check out Lightwave RF.  Note that you will need their Link Plus hub as well.

They make a wide range of colours / finishes.  See below for two examples.

https://shop.lightwaverf.com/collections/all/category-power

Driver here

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-lightwave-link-plus

Smart Socket (2 gang) - White

Smart Socket (2 gang) - Stainless Steel