C4 Forums | Control4

C4 just released an Amazon Fire TV driver that doesn't suck

BraydonH

19 hours ago, zaphod said:

Has this driver come back? It was pulled about 10 weeks ago.

This is what Eldon posted a few days ago on the Dealer forum:

On that point, we now have approval from Amazon that the updated FireTV driver can be released. We need to make a minor change to the behavior of the driver and then it will be re-released.

He didn't say exactly when it would be re-released, but it should be soon.

I apologize for the inconvenience.  There's nothing worse than having to pull back a released driver for *any* reason.

RyanE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Still don't think its out yet. I believe C4 is still waiting on Amazon's approval to release the driver to the masses. Been waiting for quite some time now.

It appears to have been pulled on Nov 9, so that is now 136 days or 4.5 months.

Because all the HDMI devices are in a cabinet behind the TV and the WiFi signal doesn’t penetrate. I could put a WAP in there but that seems an odd way to fix it - a better option would just be an Ethernet connected streaming device...

There appears to be a catch for some of us.  Assuming that this depends on the new FireTV Experience then you may still have to wait:

The all-new Fire TV experience is now available on: Fire TV Stick (3rd Gen), Fire TV Stick Lite, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube (1st and 2nd Gen), and Fire TV (3rd Gen Pendant Design). Support for Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen) and Fire TV Smart TVs is coming later this year.

So if you have a 2ndGen FireTV stick (Model number LY73PR) or a Fire TV smart TV then you are out of luck for now.

This is from the Fire TV blog:
https://amazonfiretv.blog/the-all-new-fire-tv-experience-is-here-ea8f682415b3

20 hours ago, bdo21 said:

Assuming the driver will be released imminently, can anyone comment on whether it will work with a Fire TV Cube in the UK? (I need an Ethernet device and Roku Ultra is not available in the UK)

Thanks

You can also get an ethernet adapter for FireTV Sticks - like this https://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B01LXP5TXI/
815zryfATEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I just received my FireTV Cube today - when amazon say "full ethernet support", all they mean is that they include the same ethernet adapter which zaphod mentioned above in the box!

Anyway, I'm just waiting for the C4 driver to be released now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.