C4 Forums | Control4

Stream HDMI Source (DirecTV) over network to PC/MAC

ekohn00

I've been trying to find a solution other then getting a streaming account......

We have DirecTV. I was hoping to find a way to stream from one of the Directv Box's HDMI port over the network and play the stream on my Mac, or a windows PC (via parallels).

I haven't found anything these days that does that......

Any suggestions? Heck I don't even mind using C4 just to change channels.....

21 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

sling player if you can get ahold of one the component one its most reliable from what i have seen.

I had an old one....  they stopped updating the SW....  I don't think they work on Mac anymore.

that was always my go to...    Im surprised no on else made one .

On 1/18/2021 at 3:33 PM, ekohn00 said:

I had an old one....  they stopped updating the SW....  I don't think they work on Mac anymore.

that was always my go to...    Im surprised no on else made one .

Note that Sling recently announced they will be shutting down their servers in two years and Slingplayer will no longer function.  

2 hours ago, cnicholson said:

That's coo!  How's the total latency of that?  Low enough that you can use the Apple TV navigation without too much pain?  Could you provide more details of the audio and video signal paths?

Latency is not an issue at all. You have to stand inches away from the T4 to notice it. The T4 is an awesome panel. Hi Res, great contrast and color saturation. It fixes two huge flaws form the T3: Cameras feed show up instantly and the audio using the intercom is clear. Miles away from the T3. 

3 hours ago, Chico said:

Latency is not an issue at all. You have to stand inches away from the T4 to notice it. The T4 is an awesome panel. Hi Res, great contrast and color saturation. It fixes two huge flaws form the T3: Cameras feed show up instantly and the audio using the intercom is clear. Miles away from the T3. 

This is really cool - do you pull the video up on the touch panel as a camera feed?  Project down the road here is to use an encoder to create an “all cameras” feed from an hdmi feed off a computer - so I’ve looked into encoders generally but hadn’t thought of pushing a video source like an Apple TV through one - cool idea

2 minutes ago, Dueport said:

This is really cool - do you pull the video up on the touch panel as a camera feed?  Project down the road here is to use an encoder to create an “all cameras” feed from an hdmi feed off a computer - so I’ve looked into encoders generally but hadn’t thought of pushing a video source like an Apple TV through one - cool idea

That’s right. That’s how it’s done.  

4 hours ago, Dueport said:

Project down the road here is to use an encoder to create an “all cameras” feed from an hdmi feed off a computer - so I’ve looked into encoders generally but hadn’t thought of pushing a video source like an Apple TV through one - cool idea

I think you might even be able to do something similar from Blue Iris - create an all cameras RTSP feed. https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/5-3-1-july-16-2020-your-blue-iris-web-server-now-is-also-an-rtsp-server.49571/

13 hours ago, zaphod said:

I think you might even be able to do something similar from Blue Iris - create an all cameras RTSP feed. https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/5-3-1-july-16-2020-your-blue-iris-web-server-now-is-also-an-rtsp-server.49571/

oh interesting thank you - that would create one less piece of hardware.  Exploring an NVR switch from UnFi Protect to Synology or BI later this year - this is helpful thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.