C4 Forums | Control4

4Sight Down?

KWD

1 hour ago, anon2828 said:

Appreciate the explanation, but hopefully someone with C4 on here reads that and understands that it is not a good thing.

We had zero control when this happened through the app.  Luckily I have Composer HE and was able to "manually" close shades for the night.  Good reminder to put some double-tap shortcuts into our keypads to control the shades which I think still works locally even when there is a service issue like this...

This is why Control4 should have actual app users and localized options like other systems. 

12 hours ago, Cyknight said:

The app regularly needs to re-authenticate (security reasons), so yes it can get affected if it's 'time is up' to do so.

My app gave me real headaches locally during this period (presumably for this reason) and started asking for my Controller Password every few seconds.  Very irritating and C4 probably needs a flag which they turn on during a bad outage and the flag, in turn, turns off the authentication requirement during said outage.  May well be easier said than done!

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

... C4 probably needs a flag which they turn on during a bad outage and the flag, in turn, turns off the authentication requirement during said outage ...

This sounds like a chicken and egg problem...

Also, sounds like a security hole waiting to happen.

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Also, sounds like a security hole waiting to happen.

Would agree...anything that starts triggering auth requests or actions when a service is not available is a MASSIVE security hole. 

Personally...I would like to see the current cloud infra used as a fallback for connections that can't be made locally first directly. While I'm sure to catch some flak, take a look at how Ubiquiti recently updated accessing their controller through their apps: direct connection when on the same LAN is the default, otherwise through their servers you go when not on the same LAN.

1 hour ago, tmj4 said:

Would agree...anything that starts triggering auth requests or actions when a service is not available is a MASSIVE security hole. 

Personally...I would like to see the current cloud infra used as a fallback for connections that can't be made locally first directly. While I'm sure to catch some flak, take a look at how Ubiquiti recently updated accessing their controller through their apps: direct connection when on the same LAN is the default, otherwise through their servers you go when not on the same LAN.

Sounds sensible and something definitely needs to be done.

The app authenticates to the cloud even if 4sight does not exist. To set up the app, it requires internet access.

Local authentication would shift some security requirements for the local devices and is not something I would prefer to advocate. I'd likely push the opposite and require the cloud for any mobile app, mostly because Android apps need to be a shell on the appstore with no sensitive info inside of it. Apple is much better at preventing reverse engineering of their mobile apps.

If you want local control during a cloud outage, I would highly recommend a T3 or T4.

2 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

The app authenticates to the cloud even if 4sight does not exist. To set up the app, it requires internet access.

Local authentication would shift some security requirements for the local devices and is not something I would prefer to advocate. I'd likely push the opposite and require the cloud for any mobile app, mostly because Android apps need to be a shell on the appstore with no sensitive info inside of it. Apple is much better at preventing reverse engineering of their mobile apps.

If you want local control during a cloud outage, I would highly recommend a T3 or T4.

TL;DR: stop asking for improvements.

• 2 months later...

Is anyones 4sight down today?

Trying to connect to my system remotely but it won’t connect and then I get a screen saying what 4sight is and if I want a subscription. I already have a subscription that has not expired. 

the snap one status page says everything is ok. 

this is on iOS on latest c4 app. 

3 minutes ago, mac88 said:

Is anyones 4sight down today?

Trying to connect to my system remotely but it won’t connect and then I get a screen saying what 4sight is and if I want a subscription. I already have a subscription that has not expired. 

the snap one status page says everything is ok. 

this is on iOS on latest c4 app. 

Down for me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.