C4 Forums | Control4

Somfy RTS Driver Question

ejn1

Hi,   I'm going to try and retrofit my HD Silhouette sheer shades to Somfy RTS motors and was reading through the past various posts on topic and just wanted to clarify.   With Mylink and the free C4 driver,  can I program the basic commands of up/down/stop/tilt?   Or do I need to look at purchased drivers to achieve this?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Use a Bond Bridge and the Chowmain driver.  You will have a much better chance of a good experience.

Thanks, this is on my list also but just trying to make sure, im not buying drivers for functionality that is not really needed by me.   I've heard the Mylink may have range challenges but for a single room setup, I'm hoping I wouldnt find any coverage gaps?

If you already have the hardware, then give it a go.  If you want the best retrofit solution, then the Domosapiens Advanced Blinds Driver is very good in combination with Bond.  But then you are spending almost $300 for the Bond Bridge plus the driver.  The reason that the Domo driver is good is that it uses a set of built-in timers to give you a form of two-way control (which Somfy doesn't have natively).  So you can set percentage open/close etc.

11 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

If you already have the hardware, then give it a go.  If you want the best retrofit solution, then the Domosapiens Advanced Blinds Driver is very good in combination with Bond.  But then you are spending almost $300 for the Bond Bridge plus the driver.  The reason that the Domo driver is good is that it uses a set of built-in timers to give you a form of two-way control (which Somfy doesn't have natively).  So you can set percentage open/close etc.

Thanks,  i havent bought the bridge yet as still trying to figure out the best path.   Thanks for the added info!

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  i havent bought the bridge yet as still trying to figure out the best path.   Thanks for the added info!

You get a trial period with both of the paid drivers which can give you time to see which one fits your needs best. 

Bond Bridge is one of our most popular drivers.

Bond Bridge Hardware is cheap at $99 each.  Its wifi controlled so you just connect it upto power (via its usb power connector) and can control other 400-500 mhz devices on your network on top of the Somfy RTS blinds (eg ceiling fans, fireplaces, etc).

Hardware setup is easy as you just use your mobile phone with the bond app to pair the Somfy remotes ot the Bond Bridge.  Takes a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Automation-Ceiling-Fireplace-through-Control/dp/B071GVGVVH/

10 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Bond Bridge Hardware is cheap at $99 each.  Its wifi controlled so you just connect it upto power (via its usb power connector) and can control other 400-500 mhz devices on your network on top of the Somfy RTS blinds (eg ceiling fans, fireplaces, etc).

Hardware setup is easy as you just use your mobile phone with the bond app to pair the Somfy remotes ot the Bond Bridge.  Takes a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Automation-Ceiling-Fireplace-through-Control/dp/B071GVGVVH/

And it's a super setup! Easy and works well. 

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

Alan,  On the silhoutte shear shades you achieve the opening of the vane by extending the down direction of the shade beyond the stop point by an inch or so.   This is the tilt action I refer to,  maybe not the same as with a 2 inch wooden blind definition of tilt?    Are you saying the free somfy driver cannot via driver or programming simulate this?

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

If you HAVE the URTSII already, I'd suggest the Domo driver, if you do not, then Bond- and yes the old 'free' driver doesn't do what you're asking for.

got it... thanks.   I hadn't purchased it yet so think I will try the BOND vs the Mylink per suggestions above.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, timmypop said:

I'm not 100% clear. I have a Somfy RTS shade and I simply want to have C4 raise and lower. It seems Bond is best for that, but do I need the chowmain driver still in order to accomplish raise and lower?  

my sense is bond is a more reliable base unit and app from the comments above but if you want C4, you have to pay for the driver.   If you get the MySomfy base unit which may not have the range of Bond, then you have the free C4 driver.    I only have one room with motorization so I'm still deciding the best route.

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The somfy link part is junk. Bond is way better

I read it works ok within a one room setting but trust your experience with it.  Good news is you can get Bond for about $100 cheaper than the MySomfy link which almost pays for the driver :)

For what it’s worth I got myLink before Bond was an option.  After talking to somfys engineers after initial Wi-Fi issues it’s been rock solid and hasn’t fallen offline in 18 months.   I have 5 blinds in 2 rooms and I get fine coverage with 1 unit.  The paid driver gets you the ability to open/close to various %.  

6 minutes ago, timmypop said:

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Now I just need to determine if I can program Bond without having my Somfy remote. I lost an SR260 and Somfy remote in our last rain storm. Good times. 

no, need the somfy remote

• 4 months later...

@alanchow I am installing patio screens with Somfy motors. From reading this forum, it sounds to me like the preferred integration is to use BOND with the Somfy RTS remote over the Somfy URTSI2 smart home automation device?

1. Is BOND the preferred integration method?

2. Does BOND offer 2-way feedback with C4? So if the Somfy remote is used to move the screens, does C4 know it?

3. Can I control the open/close percent of blinds with BOND?

I will have 3 large screens that I will want in sync most of the time, but will also want to be able to control independently at times. Will I be able to do this with Bond?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:29 AM, C4 User said:

@alanchow I am installing patio screens with Somfy motors. From reading this forum, it sounds to me like the preferred integration is to use BOND with the Somfy RTS remote over the Somfy URTSI2 smart home automation device?

1. Is BOND the preferred integration method?

2. Does BOND offer 2-way feedback with C4? So if the Somfy remote is used to move the screens, does C4 know it?

3. Can I control the open/close percent of blinds with BOND?

I will have 3 large screens that I will want in sync most of the time, but will also want to be able to control independently at times. Will I be able to do this with Bond?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Does BOND offer 2-way feedback with C4? So if the Somfy remote is used to move the screens, does C4 know it?

No Somfy RTS is a one-way system.  Nothing will give you bi-directional feedback.  I suggest that you do not utilise the original remotes to ensure that it keeps track of state.

Can I control the open/close percent of blinds with BOND?

If you utilise Bond Pro then you can teach it the time required for it to get from the bottom to the top.  It will keep track of its position going forward.

Yes you can learn in multiple devices and have Bond control them independently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.