C4 Forums | Control4

Programming a Delay

Elvis

Seems like I remember putting a Delay in code in Composer is a bad idea. Like a Delay of 15 minutes -- going to freeze up the controller?

Was considering using this in a motion event to delay turning the lights off. If I should avoid the Delay in code, what's the approved solution?

1 minute ago, Elvis said:

Seems like I remember putting a Delay in code in Composer is a bad idea. Like a Delay of 15 minutes -- going to freeze up the controller?

Was considering using this in a motion event to delay turning the lights off. If I should avoid the Delay in code, what's the approved solution?

The alternative is to start (or restart) a 15-minute timer and then turn the lights off when the timer expires. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another problem with a long delay like 15 seconds is also that it'll delay EVERYTHING behind it in programming whether you want it to or not.

A 15 minute delay isn't going to lock up a controller as such - but it may 'hold' programming that is triggered after the delay is triggered.

Honestly, delays are there really just to purposely slow a system down (ie add a 250ms delay between turning on multiple TV/zones to ensure the system doesn't get ahead of itself (it's physical output controllers) before moving on to change inputs on all of these and set channels etc). The only time I sue anything more than the MS setting is on the occasional room off for projectors (if I can't edit the driver to do this).

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

A 15 minute delay isn't going to lock up a controller as such - but it may 'hold' programming that is triggered after the delay is triggered.

It will only hold up programming in the same event.  If the event triggers again, I don't recall what happens, whether all the programming waits on the first delay or if it all executes up to the delay a second time.  I don't particularly want to test it...   :)

If you do a 15 minute trigger on a particular event (let's say a motion sensor sensed motion), and you have other programming on a different event (say, a custom button triggered by a remote, or a *different* motion sensor sensing motion, etc.), it will execute normally.

RyanE

7 hours ago, RyanE said:

It will only hold up programming in the same event.

Yes that is what I meant - I've 'cleaned up' a lot of programming where things were along the line of

turn light on

delay 15 seconds

turn light off

select cable box in room

Where it was NOT the intend to wait 15 seconds for the cable box to turn on

And yes I'm aware this is a matter of order of programming 😉

11 hours ago, Cyknight said:

And yes I'm aware this is a matter of order of programming 😉

I was not responding for you...  I was clarifying for those who would not understand.  I assumed you already knew how it worked...  :)

The blanket statement could have been read as it delaying all ComposerPro programming, although this, of course, would make delays virtually useless.

Thanks.

RyanE

On 3/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, Matt Lowe said:

I also don't think anyone has stated it but delays should not be used for motion automation. They will not achieve the correct results you should use a timer or the appropriate driver. 

Agreed, can't restart it if continues to sense motion with a delay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.