C4 Forums | Control4

Works with Nest Ending September 29th

Well, just received this. Looks like Works with Nest integrations are being disconnected September 29th. I assume this means the Nest Master Driver integration for Nest Protect will end - wonder if it will also kill the Nest Thermostat integration or if that's a different program?  

Either way, sorry to see they're doing this - looks like I'll be replacing all our Nest Protects with detectors that integrate with our security system. In the long run that's better but it is annoying to be forced to do that rather than do it when the detectors are EOL after 10 years.

Here's the email notification:

"Thank you for being a valued customer and a part of the Nest family.

Works with Nest was created in 2014 as a way for other smart home device makers to take what Nest knows and personalize your experience with their products, such as turning off the device maker’s smart lights when Nest detects you’re away. The connected home has evolved significantly since then, and we’ve implemented numerous updates to enhance how you interact with and manage devices with Google Home.

In 2019, we made the decision to eventually retire Works with Nest to unify our efforts around third-party connected home devices under a single platform for developers to build features for a more helpful home – with a focus on compatibility, security, and privacy. The goal is to simplify the developer experience and give you more control over how your data is shared.

We’re reaching out to let you know that after extending support for Works with Nest for the last few years, it will wind down and no longer work as of September 29, 2023

What this means for you.

• Through September 28, 2023, all current Works with Nest connections will remain active, and you can continue to use Works with Nest as you do now.
  • In the coming months, you’ll be able to use a script editor to create advanced home automations that will offer new features and capabilities. We’re also working closely with our partners to provide replacement integrations where possible. Learn about the changes and options available to you.
  • Starting September 29, 2023, the connections will no longer work and you will lose access to them.

We’re committed to helping you and minimizing disruptions. If you need help, our support agentsare standing by.

The Nest team"

They're also killing off the Dropcam in 2024, but offering a 50% off a new like camera, reasonable.

Yes, I happen to still have one, it's named the CrockPot cam.
I plug it in occasionally to monitor the crockpot, sous vide, or the smoker.
I know it's ancient, but if someone want'ed to hack it and see my ribs, let em drool.

So everyone understands.

Nest thermostats and Smokes were originally setup to integrate through a NEST account, and called Works with Nest.
Google buys Nest.
2019 Google presses but doesn't force NEST accounts to move to Google Accounts.
As long as you didn't add to your Nest system, works with nest continued to integrate, so if you had smokes you want'ed through Control4, you stayed with Works With Nest.
Anybody setting up a new Nest Thermostat for Control4 integration since 2019 has used a Google account, and NOTHING changes about this or that, so if you've done it since 2019, ignore, it'll all stay functioning, and you're good.

If your Nest was setup through Works with Nest, you now will need to move it to Google by September, which means smokes no longer will integrate (no API).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.