C4 Forums | Control4

Can someone explain Zigbee 3 and Control4

zaphod

Just now, Cyknight said:

Yes it must be exhausting to not get the answers you want hear. 🤷‍♂️

I never asked for answers. All I wanted was a discussion on what this might mean in the future. Control4's implementation of Zigbee Pro has been something that gets brought up. People think you could just add any device that was certified Zigbee to work with Control4 and that was never the case. It had to be a Control4 specific device. And while the move to standard Zigbee doesnt mean that any Zigbee device would eventually work with Control4 it at least opens up that possibility if a driver was built.

3 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I never asked for answers. All I wanted was a discussion on what this might mean in the future. Control4's implementation of Zigbee Pro has been something that gets brought up. People think you could just add any device that was certified Zigbee to work with Control4 and that was never the case. It had to be a Control4 specific device. And while the move to standard Zigbee doesnt mean that any Zigbee device would eventually work with Control4 it at least opens up that possibility if a driver was built.

You're assuming a move to ZigBee3 means a move to standard. It might, indeed I'm hoping it can (assuming it maintains the better security).

ZigBeePro isn't 'Control4's' Zigbee, it's a different standard that was created after ZigBee 2006 (embernet) - both of which Control4 put in specific requirements on top of. They might do the same for ZigBee3 - or they might not.

Point is you can discuss all you want, but realize it's all speculation - as there is no more information out there for any of us to share.

9 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I'm good with that. I wasnt demanding answers. i just didnt think the convo needed to be shut down.

While it doesn't need to be shutdown, you may as well have a convo about what you hope Santa Claus will bring you this Christmas (spoiler: a lump of coal), this is all pure speculation until Control4 releases it.

RyanE

I will do wild ass speculation on three outcomes:

1. Status quo - proprietary Zigbee.
  2. Ability for C4 to support third party Zigbee, but C4 devices are not supported by "Open Zigbee" or whatever it is called.
  3. C4 Zigbee devices can now be controlled by third party systems
  4. Fully open which is 2+3

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

While it doesn't need to be shutdown, you may as well have a convo about what you hope Santa Claus will bring you this Christmas (spoiler: a lump of coal), this is all pure speculation until Control4 releases it.

RyanE

There has literally been 4 other people in this thread say "this is all speculation". I said I know its all speculation but think its interesting to talk about what could be. What did it add for you to say it again? Why cant you and the others just ignore threads you dont have anything to add to instead of leaving your little quips?

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

I will do wild ass speculation on three outcomes:

1. Status quo - proprietary Zigbee.
  2. Ability for C4 to support third party Zigbee, but C4 devices are not supported by "Open Zigbee" or whatever it is called.
  3. C4 Zigbee devices can now be controlled by third party systems
  4. Fully open which is 2+3

i am going to guess that existing devices will stay on Zigbee Pro and upcoming controllers will support both Zigbee and Zigbee Pro. I dont think they will try to update existing devices.

Also I am going to guess any new C4 devices built on the 3.0 standard will not work on other generic zigbee hubs even though they use the same zigbee standard. You wouldnt be able to use a zigbee 3.0 Control4 keypad on a Hue hub. You also probably wouldnt be able to use a Hue light strip on a c4 controller but you probably be able to use some of those Sengled bulbs though.

4 hours ago, therockhr said:

There has literally been 4 other people in this thread say "this is all speculation". I said I know its all speculation but think its interesting to talk about what could be. What did it add for you to say it again? Why cant you and the others just ignore threads you dont have anything to add to instead of leaving your little quips?

And what is adding your quip to my reply adding?

RyanE

You guys are all missing the point…

Zigbee 3 will be the new (and only) standard with effect from Christmas Day 2029…

If you don’t believe me, wait and see.

Only CA controllers and Core Controllers (of the current generation) will handle Zigbee 3.0.

Upgrade your hardware now!

For clarity (and readers  with HC and EA controllers in 2028 and 2029) please understand that while this forum is allegedly only here for serious conversation and accurate answers… this particular post is a joke. 😀

ZB3 is a roadmap discussion, timeline is 2024/25, this is most the info everyone knows, if it’s going to be Core or Core/EA is not known and no info will be out at least a quarter before launch.

My suggestions is you go ahead and invest in C4 ZB hardware as it’s reliable as hell, but to delay your purchase for 2 yrs is not advisable, also you can do workaround like ZB3/HA/C4 till its natively supported!

57 minutes ago, Amr said:

also you can do workaround like ZB3/HA/C4 till its natively supported!

But then I might start to like HA too much!  I am starting to really like the flexibility of HA.  If I were to start over and really knew the pros and cons of various systems I would probably go with HA.

26 minutes ago, zaphod said:

But then I might start to like HA too much!  I am starting to really like the flexibility of HA.  If I were to start over and really knew the pros and cons of various systems I would probably go with HA.

Then change. Go for it! But good luck when you get stuck calling a tech for help. 

13 hours ago, zaphod said:

A hard button AV remote is a requirement for me. Without that I cant ever switch to something else. Plus the amount of stuff you can do with just an EA-1 is great. There are things I dont like about C4 but the price (outside of touchscreens) and the system itself is not it.

7 minutes ago, therockhr said:

A hard button AV remote is a requirement for me. Without that I cant ever switch to something else. Plus the amount of stuff you can do with just an EA-1 is great. There are things I dont like about C4 but the price (outside of touchscreens) and the system itself is not it.

Agreed, and this is why I am still a fan of the SR-260 remotes.  I don't know what HA supports in terms of remotes.  But I do like the fact that I can add a new smart outlet switch by myself in two minutes without having to buy a driver.

8 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

I have been trying to beta SofaBaton as much as possible on agnostic systems. 

wow i havent seen this. the remotes look just like Harmony (i happen to think they made great looking remotes).

What do you think about them? I never went with Harmony because it was so IR centric and didnt have the home automation features I wanted. Also, the EA-1 and the SR-260 are priced so well its hard to go with something else.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Agreed, and this is why I am still a fan of the SR-260 remotes.  I don't know what HA supports in terms of remotes.  But I do like the fact that I can add a new smart outlet switch by myself in two minutes without having to buy a driver.

once you buy the Kasa driver (one time purchase) you can add outlets and lights and other things at your own pace without involving a dealer.  

11 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

once you buy the Kasa driver (one time purchase) you can add outlets and lights and other things at your own pace without involving a dealer.  

Agreed, but it is (I think) US$75 for the driver.  I am not begrudging the fact that the developer gets paid as they have to spend time writing the driver.  But it would be nice to not have to pay that overhead.  And if I decide to buy a Sonoff plug or power switch for some reason then that is another $75.  Or if I want to try a Govee LED strip there is another $75.  And I have to have a dealer installer the driver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.